Wi-Fi and Cell Phone Use while cruising?

CosmoLover

Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't find a good answer with the search features..my husband and I are going on our first cruise in a few days (Royal Caribbean - 4 night Western Caribbean, Navigator of the Seas) and we both need to be somewhat connected to the "outside world" while we are on the ship because of our jobs..

I have a Verizon Blackberry and an iPad. I plan to take both with me on board, and will be using my BB as an alarm clock (so the phone will always be on, should I be worried about data/roaming?)...

Are there any free Wifi hot spots on the ship? I have read the internet charges for the on board computers are super slow and expensive, I'm just wondering if there is a way to make a phone call or send an email from the ship without having to pay a fortune?

The quick answer: No free hot spots anywhere. Whether you use the ship's computer or your iPad, you will be paying the same thing for the internet access. You may be able to get an international plan for your phone that will help lower the cost, but don't expect a freebie.

You may be better off finding an internet cafe in port. Ask the crew, they know where to go.

A cell phone will cost about $2.50 a minute to send or receive calls. Sending a text is about 50 cents and receiving 5 cents. This is while at sea. When in port you pay whatever the roaming cost is to that country. Alaska and Hawaii will be free.

There is no free computer usage. Using the ones in their cafe or using your own cost the same. Figure about $100 for a 250 minute package. Paying by the minute is around 75 cents.

Archived