oil $100 a barrel

BILLP1

DH says to remind everyone that the cruise lines buy oil ahead of time so it is not like you go to fill up your car and you get hit right away with the higher prices.

They probably have future contracts out several months so that the folks with cruises 6months after the price rise (or further out) will pay extra not right at the moment it hits the higher price.

It has been since May of last year since it was below $70. We have been lucky so far. Last year before we cruised I asked carnival about the fuel supplement. I was told don’t worry Carnival does not have any plans to reinstate the fuel surcharge. With oil at $90 and going up it may not be too far off. I wonder which cruise line will be the first to add the surcharge. Once one does it the others will probably follow a short time afterwards.

My TA told me that it is a possible that it may effect my Oasis cruise in September. SO I am just budgeting it in, then if it doesn't effect me I have more money for DOD's...:D

I figure better to plan then not be ready....

Now I need to fit another small cruise in before September....

Kathy

You are going to be okay its the spring break crowd and summer cruises that need to watch if this political unrest continues, and economy continues to rebound :D

Unfortunately if oil keeps going up it's going to have a slowing effect on the recovery of the U.S. economy.

All we can do is hope for the best.

Last time the supplement started at $5 per day and then went to $9 per day.

Does anyone know what the oil price was when the $5 started? When the $9 started?

It has been since May of last year since it was below $70. We have been lucky so far. Last year before we cruised I asked carnival about the fuel supplement. I was told don’t worry Carnival does not have any plans to reinstate the fuel surcharge. With oil at $90 and going up it may not be too far off. I wonder which cruise line will be the first to add the surcharge. Once one does it the others will probably follow a short time afterwards.

Carnival owns Cunard and already added a fuel surcharge.

Unfortunately if oil keeps going up it's going to have a slowing effect on the recovery of the U.S. economy.

All we can do is hope for the best.

Last time the supplement started at $5 per day and then went to $9 per day.

Does anyone know what the oil price was when the $5 started? When the $9 started?

I thought I remembered it around $100 a barrel, but someone corrected me and said oil was lower, more in the $90 a barrel range.

CNN Money today estimated oil will go to $120 before it retreats this year. Translating to $4 per gal gas. Just a quote from them.

A note that we had paid one of our cruise's in full and had a $56pp added to our SS card back when the last sir-charge went into effect. Don't remember the cruise specifically. We were 4 in 2 cabins and the bill was and additional $224.

Archived