Comfort Food in the Dining Room...

sail7seas

My DH will love the Comfort Food selection. I'm not going to tell him beforehand about it, but am just going to watch what he orders and I know the Comfort Food will appeal.

He loves and appreciates excellent food and preparation, but is a 'meat and potatoes' kind of guy. That's why he loves going to the Pinnacle and will make reservations for many more than one night. Filet mignon or rack of lamb, scalloped potatoes, and creamed spinach- comfort food.

Perhaps there should be another term for "comfort food" since this name has taken on a slightly negative connotation in these threads. I would suggest something like "Old American Favorites".

Of the two main items most often mentioned as comfort foods, meatloaf and macaroni and cheese, I have previously mentioned that I love meatloaf. However, macaroni and cheese is rather tasteless and rubbery to me. In our family, I am a minority of one. When any of the children come home, my wife always prepares a batch of macaroni and cheese as a side dish.

I was surprised to hear that leg of lamb mentioned as a comfort food. This is definitely an Old American Favorite in my mind. When I was growing up in the 40's this was a special treat at our home. Roast leg of lamb was always served with mint jelly. Potatoes were baked with the leg of lamb and got a brown glaze that made them delicious!

I actually grew up in SB, CA and ate alfalfa and avocado sandwiches, and never had straight beef in anything. My mother mixed 1/2 soybean in all beef dishes. Healthy yes, but...:rolleyes: . If you want to know what comfort foods I don't want to see on the menu... salmon patties (with or without bone parts), turnip greens or otherwise, beets, tuna cassarole (sp?), butter beans, black eyed peas and cornbread, ochra, and anything utilizing excessive onion or bell pepper!:p

OMG I am ROTFLOL!!!!

This cracks me up! Thanks... We grew up in So. Cal and I remember having to stay with my older sister & her DH for 2 weeks while my parents were in Europe and your Mother and my sister had the same menu! We even had to eat something called "Kale" and this was back in the 70's, long before the current "Wild Oats Market" trend. :eek:

We spent some time in Mobile a few years ago and I remember evrything we ordered came fried - no other option. Also, when I ordered "iced tea" it had so much sugar already added, I gagged! Where we live, "iced tea" always arrives unsweetened, so it was a shock.

OMG I am ROTFLOL!!!!

This cracks me up! Thanks... We grew up in So. Cal and I remember having to stay with my older sister & her DH for 2 weeks while my parents were in Europe and your Mother and my sister had the same menu! We even had to eat something called "Kale" and this was back in the 70's, long before the current "Wild Oats Market" trend. :eek:

We spent some time in Mobile a few years ago and I remember evrything we ordered came fried - no other option. Also, when I ordered "iced tea" it had so much sugar already added, I gagged! Where we live, "iced tea" always arrives unsweetened, so it was a shock.

Gee, Laura, you've led such a sheltered life! You need to get out and see more of the world :rolleyes:

Kale's been a staple item in my diet for many, many years. Not that I particularly like it, but (when we lived on the east coast) it was the winter alternative to spinach.

Gee, Laura, you've led such a sheltered life! You need to get out and see more of the world :rolleyes:

Kale's been a staple item in my diet for many, many years. Not that I particularly like it, but (when we lived on the east coast) it was the winter alternative to spinach.

We did lead a very sheltered life - but not in the way most people would think!

My poor Mom was a short order cook because we were all so picky! I was like, 12 at the time and never heard of the stuff - and it was awful. I'd probably like it now, though... ;)

Yes, sail7seas is correct. Caeser Salad was one of the "always available" items on the Zuiderdam's menus every night. I did not try it(and I do enjoy it). There is only so much one can try in a 4 day cruise! The next time--for sure!

I wonder if some here equate "comfort food" to "redneck". I hope not. "Maybe Old American Favorites" is a good idea. Might solve this problem....if there is a problem.

Just a thought.

I wonder if some here equate "comfort food" to "redneck". I hope not. "Maybe Old American Favorites" is a good idea. Might solve this problem....if there is a problem.

Just a thought.

I doubt it. I think of "comfort food" as that stuff that tasted pretty good when my mother (or my grandmother) made it. But, then, that's jusy MHO :)

Archived