First time to Key West need help

RUGrad75

Last cruise 30 hrs ago with late husband, taking 26 yr old daughter on first cruise Disney Magic - we see both are Disney Vacation Clib members. This is her first cruise and probably our one and only mom daughter trip Looking for advice on things to do in Key West Cozemul and Grand Cayman are th Disney port adventures worth it?

Last cruise 30 hrs ago with late husband, taking 26 yr old daughter on first cruise Disney Magic - we see both are Disney Vacation Clib members. This is her first cruise and probably our one and only mom daughter trip Looking for advice on things to do in Key West Cozemul and Grand Cayman are th Disney port adventures worth it?

How long is the ship scheduled to be in Key West?

Pjk

It really depends on what you like or dont like .... but....

Key West - Its nice to see the Southern Most Point. Its nice to walk around Mallory Square and hit a few Saloons or maybe get a slice of Choc Covered Key Lime Pie on a Stick.... UM !! The Keno's Sandal store is close by Mallory Square too. Tons of street vendors here. You could go to Smathers Beach for a little bit and go parasailing or just catch some rays and chill. We rented one of those glorified golf carts for the day and drove all around seeing all the abopve sights. if y our ship doesnt spend allot of time here, this is a great way to see most of the sights quickly.

Cozumel - We have gone to Paradise Beach a few times. Its a nice beach resort. The food is good, the bathrooms are pretty clean. There is a cover charge of 12 bux and that included the use of chairs, beach and I cant remember if that included the beach toys too. Another time we were there, we rented a convertibe vw beetle and drove along the shoreline and stopped when we wanted and went into the water to snorkel...awesome idea if you like snorkeling. The town area is good for shopping and having a few cheap Corona's too.

Grand Cayman - Some people want to go the town of Hell and send themselves or friends postcards that are post marked from Hell.... its neat, but its a tourinst trap to buy stuff from HELL...lol You will want to leave after being there for 1/2 hr. 7 mil ebeach is nice to catch some rays and relax. Grapevine Beach is nice too and here the snorkeling is decent too. If you are up for some snorleing and feel a little adventurous, try booking a Sting Ray City excursion with Captain Marvins. You will go to two stops to snorkel and see beautiful fish and coral and then stop at Sting Ray City. Its a HUGE sandbar a few miles out and you are approx stomach deep inwater and they feed the Stingrays and t heswim around you and you can feed them too. Its VERY COOL. Dont worry about the Steve Irwin accident, that was just that..an accident. These Stingrays get fed several times a day and are actually very use to people and they can even be picked up and held. Ive done it a few times and if/when i g back, I will do it again. We do the 1/2 day so we can still go to the beach or shop afterwards. The water here ois SO clear. Love it !! Since you are not sure if you will go again with eachother...DO IT NOW, LIVE IT UP...DONT LOOK BACK AND WONDER WHY YOU DIDNT DO IT.....YOULL WANT TO SAY...WE DID THAT !!

Good Luck and Have Fun !!

You will have time in Key West on your own without paying for a tour. I would suggest you can see most of the highlights including the Southernmost point in the USA (great photo op), Duval Street, many shops, bars and restaurants, Mallory Square although you will miss the sunset celebration and the Hemingway house and its 6 toed cats is interesting if you are a literary person or just like cats.

Personally I would skip the beach as it isn't that great and you will see better beaches on your other ports. Parasailing isn't my thing so that also wouldn't be my choice.

I'm not sure what hotel chain owns it now but the 6 story hotel in the middle of Duval street has a roof top bar and the best view of the whole island from the top of it. You are requested to get something to drink, it can be a soda, at the bar up there if you go up in the elevator but it is worth the cost to get the pictures from there. The hotel was originally built for railroad passengers when the railroad first came to Key West and is an interesting place to say you have been to.

Hope you and your daughter have a great cruise together. Being a recent widower, I will also offer condolences on the lost of your husband. I know how hard that is.

Have a great Disney cruise.

The hotel you are referring to is La Concha. It is currently being run as a Crown Plaza and is the highest building in Key West. I also agree you do not need an excursion. Key West is very small and easy to navigate. If you are concerned about walking to far, look into City View Trolleys. They offer a hop on, hop off tour for $19 per person that will allow you to see most of the sites without walking too much. They are also $10 less expensive (per person) then the more heavily promoted Old Town Trolley.

• 3 months later...
You will have time in Key West on your own without paying for a tour. I would suggest you can see most of the highlights including the Southernmost point in the USA (great photo op), Duval Street, many shops, bars and restaurants, Mallory Square although you will miss the sunset celebration and the Hemingway house and its 6 toed cats is interesting if you are a literary person or just like cats.

Personally I would skip the beach as it isn't that great and you will see better beaches on your other ports. Parasailing isn't my thing so that also wouldn't be my choice.

I'm not sure what hotel chain owns it now but the 6 story hotel in the middle of Duval street has a roof top bar and the best view of the whole island from the top of it. You are requested to get something to drink, it can be a soda, at the bar up there if you go up in the elevator but it is worth the cost to get the pictures from there. The hotel was originally built for railroad passengers when the railroad first came to Key West and is an interesting place to say you have been to.

Hope you and your daughter have a great cruise together. Being a recent widower, I will also offer condolences on the lost of your husband. I know how hard that is.

Have a great Disney cruise.

Be careful of rooftop bars in Key West. Some are clothing optional:cool:

We live in Florida and know Key West well. I agree with others on the City View trolley. You can get off and on when and where you like. It is very hot and humid in May and June and walking in the heat is tiring.(I was just there 2 weeks ago). Neat places include the harbour with waterview restaurants, Hemingway House, neat shopping on Duval (some, not all), Mallory Square area, Southernmost Point among others. It is a great place.

Cozumel-If you like an all inclusive beach resort, try Chankanaab Park. It is clean and beautiful; snorkeling, a pool, nice restaurant and you can take a taxi from the port for around $6 pp. Plenty of cabs there to return. Downtown shopping is also interesting. You could also do an island tour and try at the port rather than a ship tour with many people. Go to www.cozumelinsider.com for rates and information.

Grand Cayman-if this is your first time there, try an island tour so you can get a taste of different areas. The tours are much the same. If you do not do a ship's tour, there are many tour agents at the port. Just be certain you do not have to wait for them to fill up their van. The port shopping is very upscale but lovely.

Have a great cruise:)

• 2 months later...

I agree with GOLFER1966. I did the Sting Ray City tour and found it fabulous. My wife was okay for the first little while, but the more sting rays that came and touched her as they swam by made her a little on edge. I was able to hold one also. I gave one a kiss as that is supposed to bring 7 years good luck. Still waiting for that part to happen though. :)

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived