Amazon cruise

bunny100

Just received my Mariner magazine and found a cruise sounded interesting. 24 day Amazon Explorer in November 2011 on Prisendam. Did a search in the forum for Amazon but could find nothing regarding any immunizations that may be necessary for this trip. Would love to book it but don't want to get into a hassle of needing shots and not having them at the time of the trip. Cannot get any info on what may be needed, anyone have to get any specific shots to do an Amazone cruise? Thank you.

Just received my Mariner magazine and found a cruise sounded interesting. 24 day Amazon Explorer in November 2011 on Prisendam. Did a search in the forum for Amazon but could find nothing regarding any immunizations that may be necessary for this trip. Would love to book it but don't want to get into a hassle of needing shots and not having them at the time of the trip. Cannot get any info on what may be needed, anyone have to get any specific shots to do an Amazone cruise? Thank you.

Need yellow fever shot and certificate and Brazilian visa. Also maybe hepatitis, malaria pills and other things.

Looking at the itinerary for the Prinsendam Amazon cruise on the HAL web site, there are no indications for vaccinations. About three years ago we took a 45 days on the Prinsendam and half of that stopped at ports on the west coast of Africa then across the Atlantic to the Amazon. The only vaccinations required were for some of the African ports but none for Brazil. As an aside, cruises down the Amazon require a Brazilian visa.

In Nov 2007 we were schedued to do an Amazon cruise on the prinsendam.. Then she had to go into an emergency dry dock and our reservation was changed to Dec 2008. Our yellow fever shots were up in Jan 2008. We called HAL and they confirmed that we needed the shots -- we could get a letter indicating that DH could no longer get the shot because of medical reasons -- but there was no guarantee that we would be allowed on the ship in Ft Lauderdale OR if we did get on the she if the Brazilian officials would allow us off the ship in the various ports regardless if we had a visa.

We also have had our Hep A and B shots -- highly recommended for these areas. Plus a host of other shots.

Ahoy!

We did the 2008 Prinsendam Amazon cruise and Yellow Fever vaccinations were required unless, as mentioned above, you had a physician's letter stating you could not tolerate the vaccination, etc. We also got a Tetanus booster & Hep A & B.

I believe the Yellow Fever vaccination is required by both Brazil & French Guiana (e.g. Devil's Island). You might want to go to the CDC travel vaccination site for details.

Brazil also requires a visa, aka "reciprocity" fee, for entry. At the time I don't believe HAL would let you board unless you had one on your passport.

I'll include a link to a review I wrote of the cruise. If you scroll down the review to final thoughts section I mention vaccinations briefly, malarial prevention & other information you might find useful.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=52750

Also, below my signature, you'll find a Picasa photo site storage link. If you scroll down through the file folders you'll find pictures of the ship, ports and tours we took. It really was a wonderful cruise.

Other research available on the CC boards includes old reviews, old roll calls and the ports of call boards (using the ssearch engine comes in handy). The trip advisor dot com site is also a good information source. Googling a specific port will also give you plenty of ideas for tours and such. Good luck.

In any event, enjoy.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

We did the Amazon River on Princess in 2006 and had shots for yellow fever, typhus, and hepititis A. We also got malaria pills which my husband took and I did not - I felt the reactions would be bad. Most folks will tell you that at the times the ships sail the Amazon, malaria is not an issue.

We did the Amazon River on Princess in 2006 and had shots for yellow fever, typhus, and hepititis A. We also got malaria pills which my husband took and I did not - I felt the reactions would be bad. Most folks will tell you that at the times the ships sail the Amazon, malaria is not an issue.

You'll need quite a lot of immunisations if you want to be careful and you must have Yellow Fever.We are going on a similar cruise on the Veendam in six weeks and we are also having Rabies shots because of the unlikely possibility of a bat bite. But the cruise is worth all this i think.

Archived