Top 10 Most Amazing Things You did on Alaska Cruise or Cruisetour

charlielinda

My top picks would be:

1)The mountains were enough to take my breath away. I had never seen any Big mountain before.

2) Waking up early in Talkeetna to see the top of Mt. McKinley from the comfort of our room, Amazing

3) Seeing the glacier calving and the otters floating on their backs hitting the shells on the rock on their belly.

4) The Skagway train

5) Walking onto the Summit our first ever cruise and being greeted with a good glass of champaigne.

6) Seeing the Northern Lights

The whole cruise was awesome and only made us want to go back to Alaska again. Hope our cruise in Aug will be as much fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow !! - and we were wondering how we would fill our time in Alaska.... !!

Seriously, this is a great thread and so useful for planning a trip - many thanks to everyone.

For our first ever trip to Alaska we have booked Island Princess from Vancouver on 1st June, then 10 days in a campervan (GAH) to tour up to Denali and out onto the Kenai peninsular.

There are more ideas in the lists here than we can possibly fit in.....

Really looking forward to this experience

12. Panning for gold in Fairbanks - spent some of the proceeds in the gift shop (gold mine)

12. (tie) Alaskan Salmon Bake in Fairbanks - the fresh blueberries for desert were huge and juicy

11. Taking pictures at 11:30pm without a flash in Denali

10. Red Dog Saloon - Juneau - fish and chip are to die for !

9. Alaskan Amber beer from Alaskan brewing Co.

8. Alaskan RR from Fairbanks to Denali then on to Anchorage - sit in the dome !

7. White Pass and Yukon Railroad - to Canada and back - narrow gauge railroading at its best!

6. Whale watching tour in Juneau - humpback whales bubble-net feeding

5. Kenai Fjords Whale watching and Glacier tour - sounds are amazing and so was the animal life

4. Denali Tundra Wilderness tour (bears and sheep and foxes - oh my)

3. Chilkoot Lake Nature Tour & Bear Watching Adventure - Haines (Dolly Varden Tours) young male fishing across the river from us (40 yards) !

2. Flightseeing around Mt McKinley (Denali)

and the number 1 favorite memory:

Having a cup of split pea soup served to me mid-morning while sitting on the deck covered with a wool blanket watching the glaciers go by.... mmmmm....

everything in & about Alaska was fabulous. One of my favorite memories was the seaplane ride over Misty Fjord, with Sea- wind aviation in Ketickan, the landing on the water was so smooth & soft, stopping on a lake outside of town was so beautiful. ( & quiet)

We also enjoyed our day of "scenic cruising" in Tracy Arm. Our Captain got us further in, that any other large ship, or at least that is what he told us. One end was blocked off form ice but what we saw was spectacular. I will never forget that blue ice.

We also did the whit pass rr & a dog ride ( on ground) they were also fun, but not as spectacular (IMO)

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise in August...so this is what I am really looking forward to...in no order:

- no work for 3 weeks!:D

- Seeing my kids expression when they first see the ship:eek:

- Quiet time on deck just watching

- Seeing a real glacier, or two, or three.....

- Seeing whales, moose, bears, salmon, eagles, seals....

- Taking a "Beyond Skagway" tour with Becky to The Yukon

- Making inukshuks in White Pass

- Time for the 4 of us just to be together

- watching my children make memories that we will relive for years, even after I am long gone they will have that to hold on to and remember our special time together.

What more could I ask for!

Thanks for all the great ideas, we will certainly be adding a few of them!

Gail

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=1of4&date=8-24-2011&text=Heading to Alaska!&ship=Volendam

Based on our June 2007 cruise tour (to be followed up in the summer of 2012 with a cruise only):

• Denali flightseeing out of Talkeetna on a clear day (we've traveled and lived all over the world and this is probably in our top 2 or 3 experiences ever!)
  • Flightseeing in Misty Fjords on our 2nd day of the cruise - it was misty but absolutely magical and a wonderful introduction to Alaska.
  • Seeing a yearling moose jump a side yard fence in Anchorage on our last morning (I had wanted to really see was a moose and we were within 2 hours of leaving for the airport when we saw one on the local sightseeing tour in the front of one yard, walk across the street right in front of us and jump the fence into someone's back yard).
  • Glacier Bay - pictures don't do it justice
  • College Fjord - ditto
  • Wildlife - on land and at sea
  • Being woken up (around 11:30 pm) by a call from the front desk of the Princess Mt. McKinley Lodge saying that the 'mountain was out' and all the folks running out (some in jammies!) to get pictures. We sat on the deck and watched it for 2 hours (and it was still daylight!).
  • The guide on our Princess train ride to Denali - he was in his late 80s (!) and had been a song and dance man in Hollywood for years. He shared his photo album (pictures of Fred Astaire, Ginger Rodgers, etc.) with the passengers. Everyone we met in Alaska had a fascinating story and were very welcoming.
  • The train ride -- the scenary is spectacular.
  • Sailing out of Vancouver Harbor under the bridge (who's name escapes me) - everyone waves from the bridge and you realize a wonderful experience is just beginning.

I have read numerous reviews about how great the Bering Sea-Crb Fisherman's Tour is on the "Deadliest Catch" boat, but no one is very specific about why it is so great other than the crew is nice and funny. My three ship mates are sold on the reviews alone. Can you help me understand? I was leaning towards a floatplane trip.

I have read numerous reviews about how great the Bering Sea-Crb Fisherman's Tour is on the "Deadliest Catch" boat, but no one is very specific about why it is so great other than the crew is nice and funny. My three ship mates are sold on the reviews alone. Can you help me understand? I was leaning towards a floatplane trip.

Any reason you all have to do the same thing? On our cruise in 2008 we had five traveling together and we only did the same thing at one port. And yes, we had only one who wanted to do the Floatplane in Ketchikan, so she did it herself. Alaska is a very expensive vacation. You might as well do what you want the most. JMHO

Here are two different quotes from posts I found on a Ketchikan thread:

"My husband and I love the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. And we're not even Deadliest Catch fans. :-) You cruise around the Islands surrounding Ketchikan, the crew entertains you with incredible sea stories, they pull crab traps and you get to see, hold, and take photos with many different types of crabs, and the Eagle show is simply incredible! It's such a great boat tour!"

" We went in July 2008 and saw many different species of fish and crab. They demonstrated raising and lowering crab pots with catches in them. They had different species of fish also. "

Top three in uncertain order:

1. Kenai Fjords trip from Seward. Seeing glaciers up close and personal, and hearing the noises they make even when they aren't calving was amazing. The wildlife on this tour was also incredible.

2. Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. Amazing, unforgettable views and endless wildlife.

3. Helicopter trek on glacier in Juneau. The view from just above it really gives the "other" perspective.

4. Whale watching in Juneau -- we used Harv and Marv -- they were great.

5. Misty Fjords floatplane trip. We used Island Wings and Michelle is great.

6. Train trips from Fairbanks and Denali.

7. Exploring Fairbanks.

8. Visiting Coldfoot Camp -- unplanned diversion from Anaktuvuk Village due to weather.

9. Glaciers in College Fjord and Glacier Bay NP, but Kenai Fjords trip had it all over them.

Alaska in general.

I keep hearing about Harv & Marv. I've booked whale watching through the ship & Flight Plane in Ketchican through the ship. Is Michelle & Harv & Marv only independent are they booked through the ship?

I have enjoyed reading every one of these reports and can't wait to do our own thing. So far we are planning to do the Taku flight & Salmon feast so happy to see someone list it. We are also planning to The white pass railroad in Skagway, do a Mt. Mckinley flight as well out of Talkeetna and do the train trip from Anchorage to Seward, the Denali Tundra wilderness tour, a Resurrection bay tour with dinner on Fox Island, and undecided still on what we will do in Homer. We are considering doing the Seavey's dogsled tour in Seward and taking a trip to Exit Glacier, possibly do a Kayak tour in Homer. Open to suggestions, we will be there and around the Kenai Pennisula for 3 days.

Thanks to all who have posted and hope that more people post their awesome trips.

I have enjoyed reading every one of these reports and can't wait to do our own thing. So far we are planning to do the Taku flight & Salmon feast so happy to see someone list it. We are also planning to The white pass railroad in Skagway, do a Mt. Mckinley flight as well out of Talkeetna and do the train trip from Anchorage to Seward, the Denali Tundra wilderness tour, a Resurrection bay tour with dinner on Fox Island, and undecided still on what we will do in Homer. We are considering doing the Seavey's dogsled tour in Seward and taking a trip to Exit Glacier, possibly do a Kayak tour in Homer. Open to suggestions, we will be there and around the Kenai Pennisula for 3 days.

Thanks to all who have posted and hope that more people post their awesome trips.

Homer was our favorite port last August, and the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies Guided Natural History Tour (http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/guided-tours.html) in Homer was, by far, our favorite activity on HAL's 14 day Alaska cruise.

Homer was our favorite port last August, and the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies Guided Natural History Tour (http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/guided-tours.html) in Homer was, by far, our favorite activity on HAL's 14 day Alaska cruise.

Would you mind sharing what other activities you did while you were in Alaska? I am still trying to decide if I want to do the Alaskan Coastal Studies Guided Natural History Tour. It sounds like something we would really enjoy. I just don't know if I want to give up seeing the other things in Homer in order to do this tour. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Would you mind sharing what other activities you did while you were in Alaska? I am still trying to decide if I want to do the Alaskan Coastal Studies Guided Natural History Tour. It sounds like something we would really enjoy. I just don't know if I want to give up seeing the other things in Homer in order to do this tour. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I agree. I'd like to go back to Homer and see lots more.

I wrote a trip report:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262361&highlight=

I agree. I'd like to go back to Homer and see lots more.

I wrote a trip report:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262361&highlight=

Thanks!! Wow!!! You did a lot of great activities. I think I am more confused now. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I guess I find it hard to believe that this tour was your favorite activity considering all the other activities you participated in. If it is that good, I guess it shoud be a no brainer. Just wish we had more time in Homer. I doubt we will be back to Homer, so of course I want to do it all.

After looking over your trip review and rereading the email that the ALaskan Coastal Studies sent me about this tour, I decided to book it. Unfortunately reservations are closed for my date. I checked the tour availability for the cruise before and after mine and both had plenty of availability. My luck....you snooze, you lose!!!! I will see if there is a wait list for this date.

I see your cruise was in the same time frame as the one we are doing this year. How did you like cruising in Alaska at this time of the year? I loved going in June last time because of the extended daylight hours. However, I can't see those salmon runs in June.

Great idea for a thread! My cruise departs August 27 so I don't have a list to contribute yet, but I definitely want to subscribe to this thread. Pictures would be nice too if you have them.

I agree!! We cruise on August 20th so this will give us great ideas on what to do as well. Subscribing also!! Thanks!!!!

After looking over your trip review and rereading the email that the ALaskan Coastal Studies sent me about this tour, I decided to book it. Unfortunately reservations are closed for my date. I checked the tour availability for the cruise before and after mine and both had plenty of availability. My luck....you snooze, you lose!!!! I will see if there is a wait list for this date.

I see your cruise was in the same time frame as the one we are doing this year. How did you like cruising in Alaska at this time of the year? I loved going in June last time because of the extended daylight hours. However, I can't see those salmon runs in June.

I'm sure you'll find many ways to occupy your time in Homer. What a great town. We did the CACS tour, but we really didn't get to see the town.

We loved Alaska in August. The salmon were all over the place, and the weather was generally great. Interestingly, the only port where it rained nearly the whole day was Homer, but it didn't faze us because we enjoyed the CACS tour so much. We felt like we really got the essence of Alaska on that tour, with close-up views of orcas, puffins, otters, and gulls, and a fabulous guide who taught us a lot about the ecology of the area.

All you can eat crab as part of a Ketchikan tour.

We were there in 2008 when Sarah Palin was announced as VP candidate - the excitement and happiness of the locals was wonderful to experience.

Red Dog Saloon in Juneau - the piano player was hysterical and that Alaska Amber Ale is great.

Wilderness Express Anchorage to Seward.

Hubbard Glacier - we were on Celebrity Millennium and got really really close.

Everything - we're doing the same tour and cruise this year.

This is a great thread. Please keep it going.

We are doing our first cruise to Alaska in August. I am so excited, I have wanted to do this cruise for years. I have learned a lot about what to do and see from this thread. Please keep it going

• 2 weeks later...

I went with my parents in June 2009 with a large group from my office. We are returning in May 2011 on Disney.

My #1 - The land is beautiful everywhere, but I thought the most beautiful scenery was the Chilkoot Pass. The mountains looked like they went right down to the sea.

Not in any order –

• Raptor Center in Sitka
  • Glacier Bay on a bright sunny day
  • So many seals just resting on the rocks outside of Skagway. Eating lunch and watching several swim near our ship.
  • Close up of a beluga whale
  • New Archangel folk dancers in Sitka (my parents really liked this)
  • Bear fight during the Rainforest Hike excursion in Ketchikan. 3 bears really close to our group. After the biggest one chased the others out, he/she just stood up and stared at our group for a bit.
  • Eagle Preserve excursion in Haines
  • So many whales
  • Moose in Anchorage and Haines
  • School of Orcas feeding. When this was announced at dinner, everyone grabbed their binoculars and ran outside.
  • Eagles, eagles everywhere at every port. Watching an active eagles next during a feeding in Ketchikan with my binoculars (a must have)

Archived