Cabana Squatters

DEBnGAB

Last time we were at HMC, maybe it was an abboration, but only about half the cabanas were even occupied. We hung out towards the end of the beach and the last two were totally empty. I really don't see why you'd pay the $ for them when there is plenty of shade and loungers all over the beach.

Well I do know on a hot september day if the sun is out it won't matter how much shade there is all over the beach I will be the one stuck not finding any available...I didn't want to chance it since I need to stay in the shade as much as possible so I rented one.

If I didn't have the shade issue I probably wouldn't have bothered :)

We just rented a Carnival mahogany Bay cabana last week. Unless you askfor a specific number when you get to the rental shack, they are already assigned. You probably would not want #1 or #9, as both of these are next to public areas.(#1 is right next to the fence where all the lounges and public activity is; and#9 is closest to the bar and lounge chairs at the far end) My personal choice is #3 and #6. You don't get as many "curiosity seekers" there either. You'll have a great time no matter which one, tho. The porch of #9 when we were there was occupied by security.This was the first time I had ever splurged on this type of pampering, and it was a 'heavenly' experience! :D have a great time!!

so if I have a choice of cabanas I should try for 8 or 9 first...then what? what is the pecking order and the least desirable?

• 2 weeks later...
We just rented a Carnival mahogany Bay cabana last week. Unless you askfor a specific number when you get to the rental shack, they are already assigned. You probably would not want #1 or #9, as both of these are next to public areas.(#1 is right next to the fence where all the lounges and public activity is; and#9 is closest to the bar and lounge chairs at the far end) My personal choice is #3 and #6. You don't get as many "curiosity seekers" there either. You'll have a great time no matter which one, tho. The porch of #9 when we were there was occupied by security.This was the first time I had ever splurged on this type of pampering, and it was a 'heavenly' experience! :D have a great time!!

I thought the new bar was between Cabana's 5 and 6?

I think this thread is a fun read but gives the wrong impression that renting a cabana means you are fighting off the public like a turf war.

We were there all day and not one soul entered the cabana or tried taking a shower there. The same was true on every cabana around us. I am sure it may have happened somewhere on some cruise line visit by accident but none of us ever saw these ills. I hope that people who may be new to having a cabana don't think the impression that Cabana mobs are roaming the beach just waiting to hijack a shower is how it is. It just isn't like that. LOL

As far as sun bathers being next to Cabana's, that does happen because you don't rent the beach area and someone looking for shade may plant their seat in any shady spot because like you, they also paid a fair amount for a visit to this beach.

Just remember these are all fellow passengers on your ship so you can't get away from them. You can be mean if your shipmate asks you a question but then you may see them on the ship. LOL

In our Cabana we had not one single person approach, nor did our neighbors - Period. My advice is relax, as you are not renting a mansion, just a nice little memory in a cute setting.

I worry that new people reading this will think the impression is fully true and miss a great port day since the cabana's are so reasonable for a family of 4.

Thank you for this post :) I enjoyed reading it.

A cabana seems like a nice way to have a beach day. Since most of the excursions we go on cost about $100 per person. Paying $225 for a cabana for the day is a deal.

I wonder what type of music I should turn up the iPod speakers on to drive away any lookie lous. Sponge Bob Square pants signs Celine Dion :D or some Gangster RAP? :eek:

We actually had the opposite problem to "Cabana Hogs". Our first time at HMC we walked way down the beach to be less crowded and found some nice shade next to a Cabana so we set up lounge chairs. Well a couple hours later when the people renting the cabana came they though 5 feet from their cabana deck was too close for us to be to them and asked us to move. I said no I needed shade and we weren't bothering them. They continued to make snide remarks for us to hear and the last straw was when one of them sat down on my husband's chair with his towel when he went to get a beer. We told them it was our towel. They said that was not true it was one of theirs. We finally did move after I was so angry and in tears. Luckily by the end of the day, we had made the best of the situation and tried to enjoy HMC. We reported our towel taken and Carnival was understanding about it. We now can laugh about the whole thing. It makes for a great cruise story.

We actually had the opposite problem to "Cabana Hogs". Our first time at HMC we walked way down the beach to be less crowded and found some nice shade next to a Cabana so we set up lounge chairs. Well a couple hours later when the people renting the cabana came they though 5 feet from their cabana deck was too close for us to be to them and asked us to move. I said no I needed shade and we weren't bothering them. They continued to make snide remarks for us to hear and the last straw was when one of them sat down on my husband's chair with his towel when he went to get a beer. We told them it was our towel. They said that was not true it was one of theirs. We finally did move after I was so angry and in tears. Luckily by the end of the day, we had made the best of the situation and tried to enjoy HMC. We reported our towel taken and Carnival was understanding about it. We now can laugh about the whole thing. It makes for a great cruise story.
That's just plain lousy. The best shade that's still close to the beach is near the cabanas. When I rent a cabana, I get - a cabana. Not the hammock next to the cabana, or a 10-foot radius - just a cabana. Sorry this happened to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am back.

We rented cabana #10. The excursion desk was open when we got on the ship around 11:30. When I picked mine there was still a few left, most of them were low #'s or the higher #'s.

We did not have any issues at all with squatters:D

There were more chairs than people around out cabana.

It was very crowded closer to the beginning of the beach.

The ship bar did play music but we could hardly hear it from our cabana.

It was not very loud. We walked by it to go to lunch and it was not loud at all. The bathroom is right behind #10 and the buffet is a little bit of a walk. We got our food and brought it back to the cabana. The snacks they have in the cabana is really too much to eat.

The only think I did not know is when you get to HMC you are suppost to go to the informantion booth and give them your cabana ticket and they would give you a ride to your cabana. I did not know this so we walked to it. Later in the day a staffer came to the cabana and asked for out ticket and asked if everything was ok. The hammock next to the cabana was not used at all day. DH got in it once and fell out:rolleyes: he never tried again.

The tender line going back to the ship...what a nightmare:( in line for 45 minutes in the hot, hot sun. DS, DH and myself took turns standing in line while the other two stayed in the shade. But I would do it again today if I had the chance:D:D I have to wait until next April.

I am back.

We rented cabana #10. The excursion desk was open when we got on the ship around 11:30. When I picked mine there was still a few left, most of them were low #'s or the higher #'s.

We did not have any issues at all with squatters:D

There were more chairs than people around out cabana.

It was very crowded closer to the beginning of the beach.

The ship bar did play music but we could hardly hear it from our cabana.

It was not very loud. We walked by it to go to lunch and it was not loud at all. The bathroom is right behind #10 and the buffet is a little bit of a walk. We got our food and brought it back to the cabana. The snacks they have in the cabana is really too much to eat.

The only think I did not know is when you get to HMC you are suppost to go to the informantion booth and give them your cabana ticket and they would give you a ride to your cabana. I did not know this so we walked to it. Later in the day a staffer came to the cabana and asked for out ticket and asked if everything was ok. The hammock next to the cabana was not used at all day. DH got in it once and fell out:rolleyes: he never tried again.

The tender line going back to the ship...what a nightmare:( in line for 45 minutes in the hot, hot sun. DS, DH and myself took turns standing in line while the other two stayed in the shade. But I would do it again today if I had the chance:D:D I have to wait until next April.

Would you recommend cabanas 7 or 8? We want to be far away from kiddie area, close enough to walk to a bar, food and restroom.. Thanks...

Are you still able to go up to the shore ex desk to request a particular cabana after you have booked it online? Its not the end of the world if we don't get a particular cabana but would really prefer one farther down the island. We have been there several times with HAL and have always been able to pick our location, this rolling the dice thing has me a little anxious. At this point all the cabanas for our trip are sold out online.

Are you still able to go up to the shore ex desk to request a particular cabana after you have booked it online? Its not the end of the world if we don't get a particular cabana but would really prefer one farther down the island. We have been there several times with HAL and have always been able to pick our location, this rolling the dice thing has me a little anxious. At this point all the cabanas for our trip are sold out online.

Yes, once on board go across the lobby to the excursion desk, don't wait until later. They will tell you what cabanas are left to pick from.

Reading another thread from someone who just got back, she said she was able to pick a cabana once she boarded...

I think either one would be fine. I would not go any lower.

Lower definitely not... We will try for either 7 or 8 and if not available, work our way up from there... Thnx...

Reading another thread from someone who just got back, she said she was able to pick a cabana once she boarded...

Lower definitely not... We will try for either 7 or 8 and if not available, work our way up from there... Thnx...

Think we are gonna do the same starting with 8

We just got back from the Glory!! :D

Since we were the last to board the ship (delayed flight, horrible traffic in Miami from Ft Lauderdale etc..) we got the last 2 cabanas that were left....choice of cabana number 1 or 5. We chose number 5 and we thought it was a great location!! It's beside the new pirate ship bar (that's cool) and very close to the barbecue that is set up for lunch! The swimming right out front was awesome (even did some snorkeling!) We would choose this again as we had NO problems....a few people with questions about the cabanas, but all were very friendly! So happy that we booked one....a must for our family!:D

Rented cabana #4 while sailing the CCL Imagination a few years back. Very crowded on that end of the beach on a VERY hot August day. Noticed hardly anyone at remote end of beach and wished we knew that info in advance. Several "shower offenders" visited, including one guy who argued that "it was ok for him to use the shower because he had already used it several times that day"! A large family sat down on the stairs and front porch, and refused to leave for a while because all the nearby loungers were taken. Another lady walked right up into the cabana and asked for a tour, and asked a whole host of questions like "is this private", "how much did this cost", etc. All this, while my DH and DS were swimming and I was "trying" to nap on the lounger. Lots of people pulled loungers up in the sand all around the front and right beside the cabana. So close that I could hear several passengers whispering about "whether or not they were too close" and "are we talking too loud to disturb that lady" and "how the cool mist from the fan felt great". Enjoyed the cabana itself, but not the crowds nor the intrusions, as it didn't make for a very relaxing day... and wouldn't want one on that end of the beach ever again.

Rented cabana #11 while sailing the Carnival Destiny last June. Loved, loved, loved it!!! Totally opposite experience. Hardly anyone ventured that far down the beach. And those that did didn't return after lunch. Felt like we had a private cabana and private stretch of beach! "Oh, so relaxing", according to our 13 yo DS! We even had a waiter selling iced bottled water and beers from a drink cart situated just to the left of our cabana... and several waiters walking to our end of the beach taking drink orders. Bathrooms located just behind the cabana next door, and the lunch pavillion was only a short walk away. It was Paradise!!!

Happy sailing!

We had cabana 7 on HMC 2 years ago. Great spot, far enough away from the crowd, kids and partiers. It is a short distance to the bathrooms and buffet (they really all are)

We were actually prepared for unwelcomed people to creep into our space, use the shower, food, etc but aside from some friends stopping by, we had a great day, without incident. There were 6 of us and we didnt leave it unattend. We had no problem going into the water, using the paddleboat and snorkeling and going back to a cabana that was empty and undisturbed.

Anyone wanting to use the shower that's 10.00 please!!! I am sure some will learn their english real quick. Most will huff and puff at that!!! When I go later this month I will come back and report how it went.

When we rented a cabana there wasn't a limit on water usage. Is there a limit now?

We had many people use the shower. The shower was outside the cabana. What's the problem with folks washing off with your cabana shower?

It didn't bother us, should it have?

We just got back and had #7 which is a great location..but later on in the day this time of year, by the time it gets to 3P or so..the sun shines right in..no shade at all in the cabana..so that's a new one to think about.

I have to say any cabana would be fine..I wouldn't have minded being closer to the pirate bar and I would really have no desire for the solitude of cabanas further down the beach so pick one knowing whether you want to "be alone" or be "near the action".

As to cabana squatters..funny story. No issues at all. However, as people were getting ready to leave, a gentleman asked my DH if he could use our shower...sure, no problem..............so then we got to watch his entire family of 15 people use it. It was no big deal, actually a pretty funny 15 minutes watching this group of people shower and change on the cabana steps...oh well! :o

Just came back from the Dream and had a cabana on Isla Rotoan / Mahogony Beach. There were several people who came by, not to use the cabana, but to lay in the hammock or sit on the lounge chairs. The beach security people were very quick to come over and tell them they were for the use of the cabana renters. There was no need for us to say or do anything.

Archived