Dress Code Poll

Can'tstopcruising

I'll choose number 1.

If it is called Formal Night then formal attire should be mandatory and in my opinion that should be a tuxedo for a man and a long dress for a lady.

Rob, I agree that the dress code should be followed, but Celebrity's options for formal night include more than a long evening gown. At one point in time I only wore evening gowns on formal night but now I do one of their other options for a few reasons. If there are three formal nights, three evening gowns take up a lot of room in a suit case and I don't like to wear the same outfit twice during a cruise. Another problem is that it is a lot more difficult to find a nice evening gown than it was a few years ago because there is very limited demand for them. I personally think most women look much nicer in a fashionable cocktail dress or stylish dressy pants with a silk top than they do in an evening gown that looks like it was in someone's closet for years.

No 3

But what's on the Top Deck ?

The top deck is referring to the deck with the buffet and grill areas where which has some dining options with no dress code. Formal and Smart Casual are not required in these areas on any evening.

#2. We all have the right to choose. So choose what you feel comfortable in and do it.

In regards to "topless", those dinners are being held at Orient Beach and that is not to appealling. Believe me.... I witnessed some of the diners.:D

The participants at the formal nights on the Solstice were a lot more desireable to look at in their formal gowns and dresses. JMHO

I believe the reason this topic generates so much acrimony is because "Formal" is antithetical to every connotation of the word "vacation." The notion of "vacation" suggests an abandoning of routines. It's a freedom or release from normal duties, business or activities. It's a cultural imperative to let one's hair down, if you will. So, when confronted with an expectation to conform, expressed or perceived, many "vacationers" will scream "foul!"

I completely empathize with that attitude. I've been on cruises where I absolutely refused to bring a tux or a tie. Because I own a couple, I plan to bring a tux on my cruise in March, but I won't look sideways at anyone who chooses to go casual on formal nights, especially those who might have to buy, borrow or rent a tux. If someone chooses not to observe the formal dress code, it makes them different, not wrong.

That said, I go for #1, with the qualification that I couldn't care less if someone sat at my table in shorts and flip-flops on formal nights. Of course, I'd hound them mercilessly until they bought me a drink, but then I'd let it go.....maybe:):)

We live in Fl where life is casual everyday. I love dressing up as others have said and think of it as a "perk" in cruising because on a cruise I won't be the only one who is dressed----at least not yet!!! However, I don't think ladies need to have long dresses or men tuxes. I wear a lot of Chico's clothes as they are easy to pack and with pretty jewelry and some sparkles it looks like one at least made an effort. We have done 38 cruises. On one of our first a gentleman at our dinner table said that he bought a great looking black suit and a tux shirt. I implemented that as soon as we got home. DH uses the suit for weddings and funerals here, can use it with a colored shirt or the tux shirt, bow tie and everyone thinks he has a tux on the cruise. Often we defer the tux shirt if we think the folks at our table will feel "outclassed" if that makes any sense but the suit always travels with us and was a very practical purchase. I vote for #1 but can live with #3. NCL and other ships have no formal nights so why spoil it for those of us who like it. Sue

You try wearing a long dress in a wheelchair!

Number 3 and I consider CCC to be what Tommy Bahama used to put out for women, Faccionable, Exclusively Mistook or any well thought out out fit even just linen slacks and a silk T-shirt with great sandals.

And is the cinema, AKA the Freezer, considered part of the public areas? We've done the upstairs informal when they put formal night on a port day and after dinner slunk down to watch a movie.

I've worn a long gown in both a wheelchair and my electric scooter. It most certainly can be done.

BTW, I choose option 1.

We tend to follow the dress code, but I have to admit, Smart Casual is a collared shirt, trouser and shoes for me. My wife enjoys dressing smartly. If a jacket is required I have a jacket.

Part of the enjoyment of the vacation is seeing others well dressed. Those who want to come into the main dinning rooms without meeting the dress code are demonstrating their selfish attitude.

#5 but I could live with # 4.

I have to dress somewhat formally in business attire (suit or at least jacket and tie) most days at work. For me vacation means being more casual and it's a perk not to HAVE to dress up. But others feel the opposite and like to dress up. That's why I believe it should be about choice, not mandated code.

It's nice that Celebrity offers choice through different dining venues, but the poll asked about the MDR, and I would like to see choice of dress in the MDR as well. I like what the so called luxury lines offer in terms of smart casual or country club casual - that seems to set a tone of some elegance while still offering people a choice of what to wear.

Whatever the dress code, I refuse to wear a dress! I'll leave that to my DW ;)

Let's get this straight. Please choose one option.

On formal nights:

1. I think each and every passenger should dress formally' date=' the entire evening and in all public locations except the top deck.

2. I think each and every passenger should dress formally in the dining room only.

3. I think each and every passenger should dress either formally or country club casual (nicely!) in all public locations except the top deck.

4. I think each and every passenger should dress either formally or country club casual in the dining room only.

5. I think each and every passenger should dress how he/she prefers, anywhere, any time, including shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, whatever.

I checked off "poll" but it may not work!

Also, in replies, would those of you who choose Country Club Casual (or Smart Casual) please describe exactly what you mean. I think these terms may mean different things to different people.[/quote']

I'm all for #5. Being on vacation means I can do what I like so I am not too fond of the mandatory dictates of formal nights if I want to have meals in the dining room.

All these formals nights are nothing more than shows of pretension drummed up by the cruise lines to make passengers buy all that crappy jewelry that they keep hawking to death once you are on board. Some love them and to each his own. But it sucks if you paid for an owners suite and have to do room service because a bunch of people want to feel self important sporting their new outfits and bling. I mean really, can people get any more sophomoric?

Archived