Grande Denali Lodge - Why must this ruin my trip?

frostwalker

So we're going on a Celebrity Cruisetour to Alaska in May this year...We're very excited and I'm planning up a storm, however...

Everything I read about the Grande Denali Lodge fills me with dread and frankly, pisses me off! Why on earth does Celebrity use this place if its such a hole? Their brand is supposed to be all about luxury, but I read that even the Princess Lodge down the road is much better.

If there really is no luxury option there, I would hope Celebrity is working on plunking down a large chunk of change to MAKE that place "Grande"!!

Where do they put the people who were in the huge luxury suites on the ship when they come here? How do they not raise a huge stink? I know if I'd paid like $20K for my cruise I'd NOT put up with staying there. Now I am not in one of those suites, but I am in a Sky Suite and therefore paid my dues, I believe.

I was really looking forward to the Denali piece, but now I feel like I'm just going to wish that part was over.

Celebrity, X the Grande Denali !!:mad:

So we're going on a Celebrity Cruisetour to Alaska in May this year...We're very excited and I'm planning up a storm, however...

Everything I read about the Grande Denali Lodge fills me with dread and frankly, pisses me off! Why on earth does Celebrity use this place if its such a hole? Their brand is supposed to be all about luxury, but I read that even the Princess Lodge down the road is much better.

If there really is no luxury option there, I would hope Celebrity is working on plunking down a large chunk of change to MAKE that place "Grande"!!

Where do they put the people who were in the huge luxury suites on the ship when they come here? How do they not raise a huge stink? I know if I'd paid like $20K for my cruise I'd NOT put up with staying there. Now I am not in one of those suites, but I am in a Sky Suite and therefore paid my dues, I believe.

I was really looking forward to the Denali piece, but now I feel like I'm just going to wish that part was over.

What do you not like about the lodge? Looked at the website and it looks okay.

We did land tour/cruise with Princess but Celebrity is my cruise line of choice.

You might want to rethink your trip if you are not happy about lodging.

"Why on earth does Celebrity use this place if its such a hole? "

Do people who book a suite onboard pay more for the land tour than people who book an inside cabin? If not... then one has nothing to do with the other and you shouldn't expect better accommodations on the tour part.

It is what it is... if it's not good enough for you, don't go.

We stayed at the Grande Denali Lodge as part of a Celebrity cruisetour in 2005. It was not the most luxurious hotel I've stayed in, but it was clean and quite well-equipped. It was fine. We could walk or take the shuttle down the hill into town for an inexpensive (delicious) pizza or eat at the restaurant at the Lodge, which is nice, but expensive. After we walked down the hill and ate pizza, we walked halfway back up and had wonderful, cheap (by Alaska standards) margaritas at the Smoke Shack. Then we rode the shuttle the rest of the way up. It was a fun evening!

Denali is not an area that is crawling with cosmopolitan restaurants or 5-star hotels. It's a jeans, flannel shirt and muddy boots sort of place. The people are friendly and the views are great. It will be whatever you make it. We had a great time there.

I have done 4 Alaska cruises and never taken one with the tour that includes the various Lodges. From what I have read, many of them are not very nice or comfortable.

I have heard of tiny rooms, hard beds, musty rooms, shabby accommodations, poor food, etc etc. And that people who booked expensive suites get no preference on better rooms at these lodges.

I have outgrown the days when a Ramada Inn or some such accommodation was acceptable. Until someone provides a 4 or 5 star lodge ( Like some I have stayed at in Canada), I have no interest in taking an Alaskan Tour.

"And that people who booked expensive suites get no preference on better rooms at these lodges."

Again, I ask... do those in the expensive suites pay MORE for the land tour portion of the trip? If not, then why would/should they get any better rooms at the lodges?? It makes no sense.

Alaska isn't Manhattan.

I have done 4 Alaska cruises and never taken one with the tour that includes the various Lodges. From what I have read, many of them are not very nice or comfortable.

I have heard of tiny rooms, hard beds, musty rooms, shabby accommodations, poor food, etc etc. And that people who booked expensive suites get no preference on better rooms at these lodges.

I have outgrown the days when a Ramada Inn or some such accommodation was acceptable. Until someone provides a 4 or 5 star lodge ( Like some I have stayed at in Canada), I have no interest in taking an Alaskan Tour.

wow. No doubt it is good that you know what you want in accommodations, but the interior of Alaska is amazing. What a pity you have come so close but will never see it.

I stayed at the Grand Denali Lodge 5 years ago during a 2 week high end land tour of Alaska. During that tour which ranged from Anchorage to Denali to North of Fairbanks and then east, the Lodge was perhaps the best equipped accommodation during the entire trip. That said, however,it was no more luxurious than a Courtyard by Marriott, although the dining was above average but very expensive. The biggest downside of the property is that it is at the top of a big and very steep hill that made walking into town a bit of a chore.

There are just no high end resort type properties that are available in Alaska. However it was a wonderful trip with scenery, wild life and inhabitants that are unique in the U.S.

We did Alaska tour/cruise with Princess and their lodges are very nice, modern and clean.

There are just no high end resort type properties that are available in Alaska. However it was a wonderful trip with scenery, wild life and inhabitants that are unique in the U.S.

But that's just not so! The Alyeska Resort is reportedly outstanding!

Wow-somebody missed their nap.

Alaska is wild, rugged, beautiful, primal-don't let the lack of a luxurious hotel or lodge keep you from seeing it all.

"I am in a Sky Suite and therefore paid my dues"

Sounds to me like you're paying for a sky suite, but that sure doesn't mean you've paid your dues....

"And that people who booked expensive suites get no preference on better rooms at these lodges."

Again, I ask... do those in the expensive suites pay MORE for the land tour portion of the trip? If not, then why would/should they get any better rooms at the lodges?? It makes no sense.

Alaska isn't Manhattan.

True, but don't you think for the price we pay for these trips AND the fact that Celebrity is supposed to be on the luxury end of the big ship cruises, that they would dump some money into that place???

They refurbish the ships, why not this place?

As for the "suite people" who've paid more, I honestly don't know how much the land portion was...it wasn't specifically broken out for me anywhere and that really wasn't my point...just that ALL the accomodations should be about the same quality!

The fact that people don't raise a stink about it to Celebrity allows them to kick back and do nothing to improve it.

But that's just not so! The Alyeska Resort is reportedly outstanding!

ah, you found one you like. Book it on your own. IMHO, it so much better to plan your AK trip your way to get what you want, where you want and when you want it.

You should definitely cancel while you have time before final payment & find another cruise tour more to your liking. Don't go on this trip with your mindset; you can only be disappointed

Oh richsea, I'm not gonna cancel and I may be pissed during that time if the service is awful and the rooms are nasty and I have to look at garbage out my window, but we'll all still have a good time.

Sometimes, I just need to get my frustrations out. I tell ya though, had I NOT done any research and gone from the lovely Alyeska one night to the Granda Denali the next, I would have gone thru the ROOF! At least I will expect the worst and hope to be surprised that it wasn't as bad as people on here say it is. :cool:

My husband and I did an 11 day Cruise tour with RCCL and we did stay at the Grande Denali Lodge. I am generally a pretty picky person when travelling and staying at hotels. I thought the Grande Denali lodge was nice. It's defnitely not a Ritz Carlton but I found nothing wrong with the place. They had laundry facilities for us,the room was very clean, the food was good ( a little pricey but so were most of the places in Alaska). I woudl definitely stay there again without hesitation. We stayed there 19 months ago. I can't believe the place became a horrible place within that short amount of time (maybe I'm wrong). Denali was gorgeous and a highlight of our trip! Hope this helps!

Karyn

Just enjoy the scenery, you probably won't be in the room that much of the time anyway.

To be honest, these Denali lodges are only open ~5 months a year, and there is more demand than supply available when they are open. Why SHOULD Celebrity or Princess put more money than the minimum necessary into them?

True, but don't you think for the price we pay for these trips AND the fact that Celebrity is supposed to be on the luxury end of the big ship cruises, that they would dump some money into that place???

They refurbish the ships, why not this place?

As for the "suite people" who've paid more, I honestly don't know how much the land portion was...it wasn't specifically broken out for me anywhere and that really wasn't my point...just that ALL the accomodations should be about the same quality!

The fact that people don't raise a stink about it to Celebrity allows them to kick back and do nothing to improve it.

There aren't a lot of "luxury/resort type" hotels in Alaska...Many will be below what you might consider luxury but they are always clean and well maintained that is the important thing. Don't go to Alaska if your standards are set too high because you most likely will be disappointed....Shucks you might not even have a TV in your room...Remember most of Alaska is beautiful unspoiled wilderness. Get out and enjoy it..Don't fret your hotel room...

Folks who do book full suites on Princess Alaska cruisetours do get upgraded rooms at the PCL Wilderness lodges.

I've done Alaska cruisetours with all three majors: Celebrity, Holland and Princess. IMHO Princess has the best land accommodations due to location and amenities. Nothing is really fancy on a cruisetour unless you are in Anchorage.

So we're going on a Celebrity Cruisetour to Alaska in May this year...

Everything I read about the Grande Denali Lodge fills me with dread

I know if I'd paid like $20K for my cruise I'd NOT put up with staying there. Now I am not in one of those suites, but I am in a Sky Suite and therefore paid my dues, I believe.

:mad:

Hi Rina, we as you know, are on your cruise too(in Celeb. Suite:))

why not do what we are doing after the cruise, and do yoir own road trip plans and accomm..

in Denali we are staying at http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com/rooms.htm

looks very nice and still close enough...only from $99-129 for May.

Curious where you get the 20,000 price from though, even a penthouse is 15,076.00 for 2 at the peak season.

Hi,

The tour lodging is what it is.....Since you're pretty well set that ''it is a hole, a dump''., I would suggest you cancel the ''land tour '' portion of you booking, just keep the '' cruise '' and do the land with lodging of your choice. Otherwise, you're setting yourselves up for a bad experience.

By the way, RCT ( the land tour company that operates all land tours in Alaska for its parent RCCL 's brands ) owns the busses and Rail cars, employs all the guides, drivers and office staff , but does not own the lodging venues, contrary to WestMark , the CCL- owned company that does the land tours in Alaska for CCL's brands, which owns the lodges used primarly by Princess & HAL.

Obviously, you have done quite a deep research into lodging in Alaska to arrive at your opinions; I would imagine you've already picked some lodging establishments that are quite closer to your wants and needs: why not make your research work FOR you and design your land tour yourself ? You certainly would enjoy your entire vacation a lot more....Just a thought.

Cheers

we've done each once: a DIY and a Celebrity land /cruise voyage. Enjoyed them both immensely. Fairmont Hotel-style....nope....nor did we expect it would be, either on the DIY or the ==X== deals.

Hi Rina, we as you know, are on your cruise too(in Celeb. Suite:))

why not do what we are doing after the cruise, and do yoir own road trip plans and accomm..

in Denali we are staying at http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com/rooms.htm

looks very nice and still close enough...only from $99-129 for May.

Curious where you get the 20,000 price from though, even a penthouse is 15,076.00 for 2 at the peak season.

Hi Jann and John!

Yeah, that is a good idea and I will look into it. Just seems like a lot more work. We may just deal with it and maybe it will be better than we thought.

LOL...the 20K was just a number I threw out there. I think I did price it once, but couldn't remember exactly what it was...cause its not likely we'll be doing THAT anytime soon! :cool:

Can't wait to see you guys!! Are you going to do a whale watching tour?

Hi Jann and John!

Yeah, that is a good idea and I will look into it. Just seems like a lot more work. We may just deal with it and maybe it will be better than we thought.

but sooo much more fun!!

Can't wait to see you guys!! Are you going to do a whale watching tour?

noooooo way......we have them here, everyone gets seasick, and it spoils their day...some here have even been away by ambulance when the boats get back:eek:

Archived