Grande Denali Lodge - Why must this ruin my trip?

frostwalker

True, but don't you think for the price we pay for these trips AND the fact that Celebrity is supposed to be on the luxury end of the big ship cruises, that they would dump some money into that place???

Celebrity is not anywhere near the "luxury end" of the big ship cruises. Like every other line, it's mass market. While they may tout themselves as upper end, reality is, once you throw them all into a big pot, lines like Princess, HAL, Celebrity and Cunard are mass market with a little bit extra.

OP, if you don't like it, why do it? Cancel.

I am going to reply to this from a little different point of view. I am someone who has never cruised before and will be going on our first cruise in April. However, we have done some considerable traveling of a different sort so I feel I can comment on this topic.

I think you are being completely unreasonable in your expectations and your feeling that Celebrity should "improve" the lodge. This is not the French Riviera or any other 5 star high end area. This is "Alaska". The "Last Frontier". Bears, Salmon, Moose, Elk, Eagles, and all other wild animals that you can imagine. The majority of Alaska is NOT inhabited. There a a ton of communities in this state that are completely cut off from the rest of the world during the winter unless by chance the weather is okay and a plane or helicopter can get in. Yes, they have "ice roads" that bring supplies to these towns. As others have said, this is not the place of the Ritz!!! There is another reason you go to visit Alaska. It is to see the last Frontier. The beauty that you can't see any place else. The wildlife that you won't see anywhere else. To me, a cruise would never do Alaska justice. To me, the best way to see Alaska would be a 3 month trip in our RV, staying in campgrounds and RV parks. Moving around when we are ready and staying in a spot a little longer if we like it. Yes, I realize this is a Cruise forum, and yes, we are going on a cruise. Yes, we may even go on an Alaska cruise someday, but we will do our 3 month tour of Alaska someday.

My point is, you need to lower your expectations. The lodges and hotels you find in Alaska are not going to be the same as a Cruise ship. There may be a few nice ones, but for the most part, Alaska is NOT a fancy place with fancy people. Go there and enjoy the scenery and the wildlife. Maybe you won't get the chance again. Don't waste your time being "pissed off" about the accomodations. In the grand scheme of things, is it worth your trouble?

True, but don't you think for the price we pay for these trips AND the fact that Celebrity is supposed to be on the luxury end of the big ship cruises, that they would dump some money into that place???

Celebrity is a mass market cruise line. It is not near the luxury lines.

Your best bet is to cancel the land tour portion and go on your own. It is very easy.

Frostwalker, a few years ago my DD and I took a HAL cruisetour to Alaska (4 nites ship/12 nites land) because we wanted to see more of Alaska than a ship could accommodate. We stayed in various places throughout British Columbia, Yukon Territory and of course, Alaska.

At many of our hotels, our first impressions were not very good; but I have to tell you that though they might have looked shabby, they were all extremely clean, beds comfortable and staffs delightful. In the wilderness areas, you can't expect to find luxury accommodations. As stated earlier by Love2Camp04, it is the EXPERIENCE of being there and seeing those lands in all their MAGNIFICENCE.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you settle in. Don't forget that no city in Alaska is a metropolis capable of sustaining any higher end hotels. Just sit back and enjoy all that you will see.

I am going to reply to this from a little different point of view. I am someone who has never cruised before and will be going on our first cruise in April. However, we have done some considerable traveling of a different sort so I feel I can comment on this topic.

I think you are being completely unreasonable in your expectations and your feeling that Celebrity should "improve" the lodge. This is not the French Riviera or any other 5 star high end area. This is "Alaska". The "Last Frontier". Bears, Salmon, Moose, Elk, Eagles, and all other wild animals that you can imagine. The majority of Alaska is NOT inhabited. There a a ton of communities in this state that are completely cut off from the rest of the world during the winter unless by chance the weather is okay and a plane or helicopter can get in. Yes, they have "ice roads" that bring supplies to these towns. As others have said, this is not the place of the Ritz!!! There is another reason you go to visit Alaska. It is to see the last Frontier. The beauty that you can't see any place else. The wildlife that you won't see anywhere else. To me, a cruise would never do Alaska justice. To me, the best way to see Alaska would be a 3 month trip in our RV, staying in campgrounds and RV parks. Moving around when we are ready and staying in a spot a little longer if we like it. Yes, I realize this is a Cruise forum, and yes, we are going on a cruise. Yes, we may even go on an Alaska cruise someday, but we will do our 3 month tour of Alaska someday.

My point is, you need to lower your expectations. The lodges and hotels you find in Alaska are not going to be the same as a Cruise ship. There may be a few nice ones, but for the most part, Alaska is NOT a fancy place with fancy people. Go there and enjoy the scenery and the wildlife. Maybe you won't get the chance again. Don't waste your time being "pissed off" about the accomodations. In the grand scheme of things, is it worth your trouble?

Agree 1000%. And we wonder why people in other countries call us the Ugly Americans. Alaska is truly a magnificant place. I would stay at a Motel Six if I had to just to see it again. Denali is beyond description. If it doesn't take your breath away with the wonder of it all I don't know what will. Accomodations are such a teeny, tiny part of the whole experience in this particular situation. To allow that to even begin to ruin my trip is beyond my comprehension.

To the OP - if you think you can do better, just contact an Alaska travel agent and have them book your trip. It will be cheaper that way anyway. But with your apparent expectations, I am not sure there is anywhere near Denali you will like. We stayed at the Princess Lodge which we found very satisfactory, but the rooms were definitely Holiday Inn level and nothing more. But we had a WONDERFUL time - it is far and away our favorite cruise out of 30.

What's the point of this thread?? Is Celebrity going to go, 'oh my gosh, we've got to upgrade our AK facility immediately because someone who has never stayed there is upset because they've concentrated on the negative posts about something they know nothing about!!!". Or...."my gosh, someone who spent a few extra bucks on a Sky Suite expects the Waldorf Astoria in the AK wilderness....order one immediately and ship it up there!!".

Since you are so upset before you even know anything about it, Four sugggestions:

1- cancel the entire cruise/tour now and spare everyone your complaining since you seem to want to share your pain and agony before you experience any....

2 - cancel the land tour and put all the hard work in making your own reservations

3- keep as is, realize that you are reading a lot of 'reviews' that focus on the negative....you are going into a wilderness area where the actual idea is to experience the wilderness, not experience a 5-star hotel in the middle of the wilds.

4 - If you do stay with your current plans and it all turns out to be as bad as you think (wish?) it will, Don't....Don't....Don't share your opinion with anyone during the cruise. Come back here and complain on the internet and don't ruin everyone else's experience with your complaining.

Enjoy!

Den

Oh Lord, save us from the Ugly American syndrome. The OP folks need to understand they are going to a National Park that is in the wilderness (would you want it otherwise) and only receives groups of visitors for a few months a year (most would not want to be in Denali in January). There is no way to justify the cost of contructing and operating a Ritz Carlton type facility in this National Park. In fact, if you stay inside most National Parks in the lower 48 the accomodations are far from 5 star. So, if the OP wants luxury stay on the ship or go to high class resort (where they have such places). If you want to enjoy the beauty of Alaska then go with the flow and accept that you will make some sacrifices in comfort, luxury, and even cuisine.

Hank

DIY and stay deep in Denali at the North Face Lodge. The highway from Anchorage is well-maintained so renting a car would easily get you there as well as to Aleyeska(although essentially you're staying at a ski resort). You are transported there by bus from the area where the cruise hotels are. When you arrive at the lodge you are greeted with classical music. The rooms are in a long log cabin with private baths and warm, cozy comforters. Your meals are included and you have a choice of activities daily. There is also a less expensive camp-type option Camp Denali.

You will find more on both resorts here:www.campdenali.com/

So we're going on a Celebrity Cruisetour to Alaska in May this year...We're very excited and I'm planning up a storm, however...

Everything I read about the Grande Denali Lodge fills me with dread and frankly, pisses me off! Why on earth does Celebrity use this place if its such a hole? Their brand is supposed to be all about luxury, but I read that even the Princess Lodge down the road is much better.

If there really is no luxury option there, I would hope Celebrity is working on plunking down a large chunk of change to MAKE that place "Grande"!!

Where do they put the people who were in the huge luxury suites on the ship when they come here? How do they not raise a huge stink? I know if I'd paid like $20K for my cruise I'd NOT put up with staying there. Now I am not in one of those suites, but I am in a Sky Suite and therefore paid my dues, I believe.

I was really looking forward to the Denali piece, but now I feel like I'm just going to wish that part was over.

Celebrity, X the Grande Denali !!:mad:

Hello there

I did the Celebrity Cruise and land tour last August and stayed at the Denali Lodge and it was great. No complaints. You will enjoy it. The internet does not give it true justice. Just remember to take warm clothing for that part of the trip.

I don't think that's what Rina is looking for;)

not me either, Rina:D

Sorry- since we stayed there the costs are equal but the experiences differ between North Face Lodge and Camp Denali. Here are the rates for 2011:

Schedule & Rates

DSC_0011__2__feature.jpgYour stay includes round-trip transportation between the Denali Park Rail Depot and our facilities, all meals, lodging, naturalist-guided activities, and use of our canoes, bikes, fishing equipment and outdoor gear.

Our arrival schedule is fixed, with three night stays commencing on Fridays and four night stays on Mondays. Seven night stays may begin on either a Friday or Monday.

1 week= 3605 pp, 4 nites=2060pp, 3 nites=1545pp

Sorry- since we stayed there the costs are equal "

re your earlier quote.

"There is also a less expensive camp-type option Camp Denali. "

I meant, that if they think the Grand Denali lodge is not good enough, why would they want to camp???

I certainly wouldn't..I hate camping, but that's just me.

at $1545 per person for 3 nites, it's comparable per diem to Celelbrity's Suite Life.

confused now...I was only referring to this section where you said ....

. There is also a less expensive camp-type option Camp Denali.

Hope that's not the price to camp ???? :eek:

Good grief...I think most of you missed my point...and perhaps I was a bit too hostile in my delivery.

I guess because we've never spent this kind of money on a trip and I was feeling like for close to 10K (with airfare, excursions, etc) we should feel like royalty the whole way.

And yes...some small (obviously inane) part of me hoped that an outpouring of agreement that to go from a beautiful resort (Alyeska) to Grande Denali would make Celebrity consider refurbishing the Lodge...not to the Nth degree, but at least to be seen as better than the other cruise line's Denali lodging.

The idea of booking the cruisetour PACKAGE with Celebrity was to take the work OUT of planning a fabulous vacation. I did not want to pour endlessly over hotels and such.

I'm sure we will not be bitching and moaning to anyone and we will have a fabulous time, dispite my disappointment with GDL's facility.

Thanks to all.

Rina

Good grief...I think most of you missed my point...and perhaps I was a bit too hostile in my delivery.

I guess because we've never spent this kind of money on a trip and I was feeling like for close to 10K (with airfare, excursions, etc) we should feel like royalty the whole way.

And yes...some small (obviously inane) part of me hoped that an outpouring of agreement that to go from a beautiful resort (Alyeska) to Grande Denali would make Celebrity consider refurbishing the Lodge...not to the Nth degree, but at least to be seen as better than the other cruise line's Denali lodging.

The idea of booking the cruisetour PACKAGE with Celebrity was to take the work OUT of planning a fabulous vacation. I did not want to pour endlessly over hotels and such.

I'm sure we will not be bitching and moaning to anyone and we will have a fabulous time, dispite my disappointment with GDL's facility.

Thanks to all.

Rina

Do you understand that Celebrity does not own the property?

Thanks to all.

Rina

Rina - do hope you have a good experience with the full package. And you should really reconsider your disappointment with something you haven't experienced yet. Once you see the beauty and grandeur of the area you might find that the lodge is mainly there to rest and dine, and the whole point is the wilderness. Give it a try.....remember, 'royalty' tire of the 5-star catering and go for the basics at times.

Enjoy your experience and realize most of it is attitude. That's why you read so many poor reviews by experienced cruisers complaining about how things aren't as grand as it was on their early cruises - they expect the exciting feeling they got to keep coming back but their attitudes change. At least that sounds great even if it isn't true. Quit with the assumptions and just enjoy the experience.

Just give me a yell anytime you want a shot of cheap shallow philosophy!

Den

Thanks to all.

Rina

Rina, just wait until you spend the day jouncing around Denali in a retired schoolbus! :p If it's a dry day it will be dusty, and if it's a wet day it will be muddy. If your luck is in, you could have a bit of both - we did! It is quite a long way from a luxury experience, but that is how it is done. No matter how much you pay, Alaska is just not heavy on 5-star accommodation or transport, but it is a fantastic experience.

Hope you have a great time!

In July 2010, we were in the Penthouse Suite, and yes, we were one of those couples that paid $20K for a Celebrity Alaska Cruise/Tour... Grand Denali Lodge is just fine... The room was large and the on-site restaurant was nice. No, it is not the Ritz Carlton, but the staff is friendly and try hard to please you.

Coming out of the penthouse suite, and then going to the bus with 3 star hotels, was tough! To answer someone's question, NO, suite guests do not pay more or get better/upgraded service on the land package. I wish I would have done the land portion first, and the cruise second.

You are so lucky to be going to Alaska! It is truly amazing!!

Archived