Southampton to Heathrow

MRSBITS

Our ship, the Eclipse, arrives at 5:30 a.m. in Southampton on June 4, 2011. Our flight departs from Heathrow at 3:00 p.m. Given this time frame, should we just plan on taking the National Express bus from Southampton to Heathrow and sitting around; or would hiring a car service to take us to Heathrow via some other stops be viable?

Most cruise ships arrive about 5 a.m. to 6 a.m. at Southampton with assisted disembarkation starting about 7 a.m.. The vast bulk of people who havn't got prioritised disembarkation or who have not booked a cruise line transfer get off about 8 to 8:30 a.m.

By the time you've queued for a taxi to the bus station, currently the 'sensible' National Express schedule to Heathrow to book in advance leaves at 09:45, due Heathrow 11:50.

Just in time to get to check-in for a 3 p.m. flight.

Our cruise line, Princess, offers a shuttle to the airport for $49.00 per person. They suggest that you don't book your flight before 12:00 noon.

Ours is booked for 1:00 PM.

Does your cruiseline not offer a shuttle for a fee?

I haven't looked into a Celebrity shuttle yet. Will do that; however, the National Express coach will also work fine for us. Flight doesn't leave until 3:00 p.m., so we have plenty of time. Carolyn

We are booked on Crown Princess 8/4/11 cruise. On the last day of the cruise we have a 10:50 A.M. flight on Virgin Atlantic. What is the best way to get from Southampton to Heathrow to make our flight.

Docking time does not equal disembarkation time. Doing the math backwards

10:50 flight leaves

7:50 checkin time (3 hrs early for US bound)

6:20 leave southampton (1½ hrs to LHR; assuming private transfer)

You're in big trouble

We are booked on Crown Princess 8/4/11 cruise. On the last day of the cruise we have a 10:50 A.M. flight on Virgin Atlantic. What is the best way to get from Southampton to Heathrow to make our flight.

Priority unassisted disembarkation (schlepp your own luggage off the ship) normally starts around 7am, a 7.15 departure from the pier will just about get you ahead of the local commuter traffic. On a thursday at that time, a private transfer car (about £90) will take a minimum 80 mins to Heathrow, barring grief. Latest check-in I believe is currently 2 hrs (it's certainly no less), so in theory you have up to 25 mins to spare.

But that's only theory - a late disembarkation caused by late arrival or immigration or customs delays or others who are in the same rush, consequently hitting Southampton/Winchester commuter traffic, frequent motorway delays caused by roadworks, accident, or simply volume of traffic, will foul up your plans.

Scottbee appears to rate your chances around nil, I'm only a little more optimistic. And no other transport has a hope in hell.

Noon is realistically the earliest flight to aim for, 1 pm is more sensible, and I'd certainly not risk the cost of an untransferable airline ticket with a 10.50 flight.

www.westquaycars.com/ and www.smithsforairports.com/ and www.advancedairportcars.co.uk/ have way more experience than Scottbee or I - why not ask them for a quote & seek their opinion at the same time.

Well worth re-considering your options.

John Bull

Our cruise line, Princess, offers a shuttle to the airport for $49.00 per person. They suggest that you don't book your flight before 12:00 noon.

Ours is booked for 1:00 PM.

Does your cruiseline not offer a shuttle for a fee?

We're on the same cruise as you, Grumpy. The National Express is about $12, a lot cheaper then the Princess transfer. We booked National Express. Our flight is at 2pm, catching the 9:45 bus.

Priority unassisted disembarkation (schlepp your own luggage off the ship) normally starts around 7am, a 7.15 departure from the pier will just about get you ahead of the local commuter traffic. On a thursday at that time, a private transfer car (about £90) will take a minimum 80 mins to Heathrow, barring grief. Latest check-in I believe is currently 2 hrs (it's certainly no less), so in theory you have up to 25 mins to spare.

But that's only theory - a late disembarkation caused by late arrival or immigration or customs delays or others who are in the same rush, consequently hitting Southampton/Winchester commuter traffic, frequent motorway delays caused by roadworks, accident, or simply volume of traffic, will foul up your plans.

Scottbee appears to rate your chances around nil, I'm only a little more optimistic. And no other transport has a hope in hell.

Noon is realistically the earliest flight to aim for, 1 pm is more sensible, and I'd certainly not risk the cost of an untransferable airline ticket with a 10.50 flight.

www.westquaycars.com/ and www.smithsforairports.com/ and www.advancedairportcars.co.uk/ have way more experience than Scottbee or I - why not ask them for a quote & seek their opinion at the same time.

John Bull

Thanks for the information and sites to visit. I contacted all of them and now will just wait for replies. Hopefully I may find others needing private transfers also.

Latest check-in I believe is currently 2 hrs (it's certainly no less) ...
Sorry to be repeating this again: No, it isn't.

Taking it straight from the horse's mouth, ie Virgin Atlantic's website:-

Our check in facilities close 60 minutes prior to the scheduled departure times of our flights. If you fail to complete check in procedures by this time you will not be able to travel. We suggest you check in two and a half hours prior to your flight to allow for security and check in queues.
Obviously, this is not a charter to arrive the airport at exactly 60 minutes before departure, but the website is equally clear that "2½ hours" is a suggestion, not a deadline.

So cruisingrus has a little bit more margin. If they're in a long check-in queue and might miss the 60-minute deadline, the chances are that the check-in staff will be queue-combing. Even if they don't, cruisingrus will be able to make themselves known and should get taken to the front of the queue to make sure they don't miss the deadline.

Having said all that, though, I think that a 1050 flight sounds extremely optimistic. I would not do it, and I agree with your advice.

I can foresee a lot of stress - and a reasonable chance that they'll miss the flight. If there's an accident on the M3 (as there frequently is in the morning peak - like this morning), that 1½ hour drive could easily turn into a 2½ hour drive. And with an estimated 0715 departure from the dock in Southampton, everyone can work out what that would mean for cruisingrus.

John Bull

John, I contacted all 3 of the transports you suggested and received acceptable quotes. Do you know if they all are reliable? Do you know of anyone using any of these transports or would you reccomend one company in particular? I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

The airline told us to check in online using the ship's internet 24-48 before and we should then be ok. Hopefully.

John, I contacted all 3 of the transports you suggested and received acceptable quotes. Do you know if they all are reliable? Do you know of anyone using any of these transports or would you reccomend one company in particular? I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

The airline told us to check in online using the ship's internet 24-48 before and we should then be ok. Hopefully.

West Quay are the most frequently used by folk on this forum for Southampton/Heathrow, Smiths for Airports are a smaller organisation but I've also seen plenty of posts by folk who've used them, not heard a bad word about either, you may get other posters chipping in to confirm. Advanced Airport Cars is used more by locals, including ourselves. All use large low-mileage saloon cars (sedans) or estate cars (station wagons). I really don't think you'll have a problem with any, though West Quay are the most local to the port. And probably the most expensive of the three.

BTW (Globaliser), we flew VA out of Heathrow last month, I was told check-in closes 2 hrs ahead.

.......... but I was told that by her-indoors. :rolleyes:

...........who swears that's what was on the paperwork, but now she can't find the paperwork ;)

So apols for the error.

Perhaps you'd better rely on Globaliser & Virgin Atlantic, rather than John Bull & her-indoors :D:D

John Bull

West Quay are the most frequently used by folk on this forum for Southampton/Heathrow, Smiths for Airports are a smaller organisation but I've also seen plenty of posts by folk who've used them, not heard a bad word about either, you may get other posters chipping in to confirm. Advanced Airport Cars is used more by locals, including ourselves. All use large low-mileage saloon cars (sedans) or estate cars (station wagons). I really don't think you'll have a problem with any, though West Quay are the most local to the port. And probably the most expensive of the three.

BTW (Globaliser), we flew VA out of Heathrow last month, I was told check-in closes 2 hrs ahead.

...........who swears that's what was on the paperwork, but now she can't find the paperwork ;)

So apols for the error.

Perhaps you'd better rely on Globaliser & Virgin Atlantic, rather than John Bull & her-indoors :D:D

John Bull

Thanks for your helpful information.

The choice is between advanced airport cars and Smiths for airports. We decided to do a RT transfer. Both prices are acceptable. Smiths uses Estate cars, I asked advanced what type of car they use before we book.

Hopefully, we make our 11:50 flight with a 7: AM flight. Our airline Virgin Atlantic said we have a good chance. Maybe we can get moved up on the

airport security check line as I am on oxygen.

Thanks for your helpful information.

The choice is between advanced airport cars and Smiths for airports. We decided to do a RT transfer. Both prices are acceptable. Smiths uses Estate cars, I asked advanced what type of car they use before we book.

Hopefully, we make our 11:50 flight with a 7: AM flight. Our airline Virgin Atlantic said we have a good chance. Maybe we can get moved up on the

airport security check line as I am on oxygen.

We have booked with Smiths for Airports to take us from the Southampton Cruise Terminal to Heathrow on the day we disembark. I can't say enough about the patience and professionalism of Sharon, who fielded all of my e-mail questions. Carolyn

No worries! Was the paperwork from a travel agent? Because travel agents are particularly notorious for giving inaccurately over-pessimistic advice about check-in times to try to make sure their clients aren't late.

It's not a bad motive, but the information is still inaccurate.

This is not going to wor there is no way... I hope you brought insurance,, and if a travel agent booked this for you shame on them

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread has been dormant for a week, but I was checking on advisability of making our 2:25pm Delta flight out of Heathrow after our Crown Princess cruise returning to Southampton. Looks like it is not an issue, but the OP had orignally said their flight was 10:30am and then listed 11:30am...and 11:30am appears to be the right one on Virgin to Miami (assuming that is the flight being asked about)....but that is still very tight and if the OP is on oxygen (mentioned as a rationale to be moved ahead in the Security line), than this is a lot of stress especially navigating with a tank and so on.

Strongly suggest you follow the Cruise Line's statement to not book flight earlier than 12:00pm out of Heathrow and 12:30pm out of Gatwick - they are recommending this for obvious reasons, and if the OP is relying on getting head-of-the-line privledges in order to make the flight - that is High Risk. You should only consider being moved up in the line because you run into unplanned delays, not part of the 'required to make the flight' strategy.

There is time to make changes.....if you catch the drift of most of these posts, you are High Risk of not making it and adding stress that can be avoided.

Good Luck. I'll not ask my original question about risk of making my 2:25pm flight because it looks like it is within the norm.

Denny

...Strongly suggest you follow the Cruise Line's statement to not book flight earlier than 12:00pm out of Heathrow and 12:30pm out of Gatwick - they are recommending this for obvious reasons, and if the OP is relying on getting head-of-the-line privledges in order to make the flight - that is High Risk. You should only consider being moved up in the line because you run into unplanned delays, not part of the 'required to make the flight' strategy.

There is time to make changes.....if you catch the drift of most of these posts, you are High Risk of not making it and adding stress that can be avoided.

Good Luck. I'll not ask my original question about risk of making my 2:25pm flight because it looks like it is within the norm.

Denny

We are disembarking the Grand Princess in Southampton on July 23. For this cruise Princess makes it clear to book flights out of Heathrow 2:00 p.m. or later. We plan to take the Princess transfer for the convenience of being picked up at the pier without having to make way by taxi to the bus terminal for National Express.

Archived