Naples-Pompeii-Amalfi Coast choice

jenlynmc

In an attempt not to get completely "toured out", we are considering only doing a half day tour to Pompeii on our stop in Naples. Two questions: can anyone recommend a company for this type of tour and (don't laugh here!) can we get a decent view from sea of the Amalfi Coast as we sail out of Naples towards the South? I know it won't be the same as the famous drive, but would we see at least some of that coastline for a while. I ask because when we did Alaskan cruise, we were quite pleased with some of the coastline view we got when coming in and out of ports.

Thanks!!

Unfortunately, no, you won't see the Amalfi Coast as you head south. The ships are too far out, plus, if you look at a map, you'll see that the Amalfi Coast is actually pretty much east-west.

You might consider DIY for this port, it's quite easy. If you want to see the Amalfi Coast, and aren't set on actually driving the coast road, you could take a boat from Naples and see it from the water (in season - many boats don't run during the winter).

Pompei is also easy to accomplish on your own, either by train (Circumvesuviana) or bus from Naples. Tour guides can be found at the entry to the ruins, or you can rent audio guides.

Donn't know what your time or budget limits are, we used RIL( Rome in Limo) in this port and several others.

It was August, hot hot hot. Got off the ship, arrived at Pompeii as they opened and did that for about hour and half. Honestly it was nasty hot, but still early enough before crowds decended that we had some of the beautiful baths and courtyards all to ourselves. By 10 am it was both hot and a zoo, time to leave. We did 1/2 of the drive thru Amalfi up to Ravello. Lots of driving 3 stops, wonderful balance.

Worth thinking about doing a tour, only you can decide if that is toured out as its usually the beginning or end of the three stops in Italy that can be exhausting.

Another option is some ferries that run from Naples to Sorrento to Amalfi that will get you a view, but might be tight schedule wise.

Good luck!

In an attempt not to get completely "toured out", we are considering only doing a half day tour to Pompeii on our stop in Naples. Two questions: can anyone recommend a company for this type of tour and (don't laugh here!) can we get a decent view from sea of the Amalfi Coast as we sail out of Naples towards the South? I know it won't be the same as the famous drive, but would we see at least some of that coastline for a while. I ask because when we did Alaskan cruise, we were quite pleased with some of the coastline view we got when coming in and out of ports.

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Another vote for Romeinlimo! They are amazing. Naples is my favorite cruise port. I wouldn't say there is much of a view sailing in and out of Naples, but once on land and heading towards Amalfi is amazing. We toured last year with Romeinlimo... with Raffaelo and we had the most perfect day. We did a private 2 hour tour through Pompeii (not to be missed!) and then went on to Sorrento and Positano. A private tour will give you that view that you just won't get on your own or on a ship tour. And, with 2 couples or more, a private tour ends up costing less than a ship tour. Best money spent on this port I think :)

Archived