2 nights in istanbul

Hi,

we were suppose to have an overnight in Cairo but b/c of all the craziness over there NCL has changed it to have 2 nights in Istanbul. Any suggestions on things to do? i would love to add anew country to our list any easy suggestions?:confused:

I suggest you do a search on this board, there are numerous posts with ideas of what to see and do and step-by-step instructions for doing them on your own if you want.

Edited to add: here is a post I made in another thread with a lot of basic info to get you started: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24817056&postcount=82

I suggest you do a search on this board, there are numerous posts with ideas of what to see and do and step-by-step instructions for doing them on your own if you want.

Edited to add: here is a post I made in another thread with a lot of basic info to get you started: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24817056&postcount=82

First of all, thank you so much cruisemom. You really helped me with the last minute planning.

I was on the Jade 1/23 cruise that got diverted to Istanbul at the last minute. Here is a post I made in another thread:

I was on the same cruise as dabear and found Istanbul to be a great place to do on our own. The major tourist attractions are all in one area in the old part of the city. You can easily grab a cab (negotiate a price first. They will take Lira, Dollars or Euros). Or you can take the tram which is right by the ship (Lira only) or you can do what we did and just walk it. I loved the walk as you get to experience a lot of the Istanbul street scene. The area on and below the bridge is especially interesting.

From there we went to the Archeology Museum, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia (a must) and the Blue Mosque. It is also a great place to just walk around. The spice market is in the same area as well. Keep in mind all of the above only accepted Turkish Lira, but the Archeology Museum and Palace did take credit cards. There are currency exchange booths all over and the rates are not that bad.

It is an interesting city and one that I really enjoyed. Due yourself a favor and go to a cafe and also grab some street food.

You can make it to the Grand Bazaar on the first day as you have more then enough time. It is an interesting place and the vendors will take any kind of money you have. Just haggle with them. We had a lot of fun there.

You have a lot of time in Istanbul. If you are able and pretty mobile then I suggest doing it on your own. If interested in the old part of town with all the attractions (Sultanahmet) then you can walk there. It is a bit of a distance, but a safe and very interesting walk. Just take a left out of the port and across the bridge. Go left after the bridge and take the pedestrian bridge over the road on your right. From there just follow the signs. A very easy way to walk to all the sights from your ship is to walk out of the port area, take a left and follow the tram line. It is easier then it sounds.

If you have some Turkish Lira you can take the tram for 1.75 TL but you have to buy the tokens from a machine that accepts coins and 5, 10 TL notes. Some machines can also take 20 TL notes. You can buy more than one token at a time using the machine's left button. The tram station (Findiki)on the right side of the port area is actually closer than the one to the left (Tophane). Findiki is the next to the last T1 tram stop, Kabatas, where you can pay another 1.75 TL to take the underground funicular to Taksim square, a 2 minute ride. We walked back from Kabatas to the ship and it took 15 minutes to the cabin. Some folks went to Taksim and tried smoking the water pipe and got back to ship at midnight. The i office has good map of Istanbull, there is one near the Sultanahmet station where you can go to the Blue Mosque, Agia Sophia, Topkapi Palace (Harem inside for about another ten bucks), and underground Cistern. Beyazit stop is closest to the Grand Bazar but Eminounu or Sirkeci is closer to the Spice Market. Get the fresh Turkish Delight at teh Spice Market, costs more (about $26 for on Kg or 2.2 pounds) but much better than the cheaper boxed ones.

Just to add to the sights already listed ....... don't miss the Basilica Cistern. Did not originally have it on my "list" when we went..... but walked right by it and went in.....what a treat !!!! Especially if it is hot outside....... just a bit of respite from the heat. DH and I had a wonderful Turkish coffee at the little snack bar at the end (near the exit).....

ps: we used the tram both days we were docked there. EAsy and cheap ! and alot faster than taxi or bus too.

Archived