ROLL CALL DATES—Please use correct start dates

Oceans&Rivers

I have noticed wrong start dates on several Oceania roll call threads, and if you have, too, it may mean that there are alumni groups on your sailing.

This new thread I have started is not intended as an "anti-alumni-group" rant, but rather that the dates for roll calls should be consistent with the way they are listed on the Oceania website.

The reason for the different date on these cruises is that when the alumni travel groups market the cruises, they market them as starting in the home country (i.e. USA), including the flight date over to meet the ship.

Therefore, what should be listed as, for example "March 24, 2012 Oceania Nautica..." shows up as "March 23, 2012 Nautica..." in a roll call thread, with resulting confusion, stray roll call folks who start new roll calls, etc.

We can help our Cruise Critic Host by pointing this out (via the alert/caution button) to change the date, but would everyone please list your roll call with the correct date, i.e. the date of embarkation?

Maybe this could be made a sticky?

How do you know if there are alumni groups on board? On our previous cruises there were always various alumni groups. We never had a problem - actually enjoyed their company. Just curious how one knows. Is it obly one travel agency that handles these groups?

Once our cabin was upgraded since the ship wanted to keep the group together. However, Oceania never notified our TA so there was a strange snafu when we boarded and our luggage never made it to the room nor could we access our original cabin. Oceania never gave us an explanation but since the upgrade was better we accepted.

While we are being cranky ;)

I wish people would look down the list of Roll Calls before starting another one

Sometimes there are 2 + for the same cruise date

The thread default is 30 days so some may have appeared to disappear but not really

You can change the number of posts you see by going to the bottom of the page

Under Display options select a longer number of days to show

Ok I need coffee NOW :eek:

Lyn

If you can be cranky, Lyn, so can I!:)

I once set up a duplicate thread because while I looked to see if one had been set up I missed it. I think that was because people set them up differently -- the date will be there but not always in the same order. (In this case it didn't much matter since both threads only had 3-4 posts and it was easy enough to abandon one of them.)

However, I know we're never going to be able to pass a rule governing the style of your thread title ...

I personally would appear to have the date appear first, but I'm sure others will disagree!

The way I solved this problem was to resolve never to start another roll call! :D

Since we book ages in advance, I have started lots of roll calls. I skip typing in the name of the ship - after all, by that time, we are on that ship's roll call. I just type the date of the cruise embarkation - for our Regatta trip, I put August 26, 2011 and for the Marina, put Route of the Vikings - July 1, 2011. (the Marina only does that sailing once, so no competition from another sailing). It makes it easy for me to find my roll call, as it is one of the few that does not start with the ship's name.

The trick is to watch the roll call forums & when your sailing get to the bottom of the page make sure someone posts something or people cannot find it

Some new people to CC do not know where the ROLL CALL forums are ...even when you give them the link they cannot find it ;)

Once I sign in I click on USER CP (top left) if will bring up any threads I have posted in that have new messages also brings up the forums I have subscribed to

Use Forum Tools (top right) to subscribe to any forums of interest to you

It is a learning curve

Lyn

I started one but no one has joined it. It's going to be a lonely trip.

Is this the Tahiti-SF itin? If so, you aren't alone...we are going but I hadn't looked for the roll call yet since we have been concentrating on the Marina itin coming up in March-April.

Kathleen

The trick is to watch the roll call forums & when your sailing get to the bottom of the page make sure someone posts something or people cannot find it

Some new people to CC do not know where the ROLL CALL forums are ...even when you give them the link they cannot find it ;)

Once I sign in I click on USER CP (top left) if will bring up any threads I have posted in that have new messages also brings up the forums I have subscribed to

Use Forum Tools (top right) to subscribe to any forums of interest to you

It is a learning curve

Lyn

Thanks for the hints. This "newbie" to posting appreciates them.

Archived