Is it too late to cruise to Alaska in late Sep?

Alaskabound2011

You will have far fewer hours of daylight than if you cruised even in late May...It might be quite chilly, or mildly cold (depending on what you are accustomed to...). Some of the shops might be closed, but those depending on tourist trade for their livelihood will prpbably still be open. I am sure Diamonds International will still be open...EM

Cruised Alaska the third week of Sept. 2002. Had great weather(rained in Juneau but it always rains in Juneau). As long as there are cruise ships still porting everything remains open. We actually got to take advantage of some great end of season sales! We are cruising Alaska again this Sept 17-24 and can't wait!!

We're thinking of cruising to Alaska Sep 17-24th this year, but I'm worried that it will be "too late" in the year. Will everything in the ports of call still be open? Will it be absolutely freezing? Thanks for any info!

Its not too late, you can get the 'odd good buy' while shopping.:)

HOWEVER, we did a B2B in Sept., and there was only one day when it did not rain.:eek:

john

We cruised in mid September in 2009, and while it was cool and drizzly, we prepared for it with waterproof jackets and packed for dressing in layers. We had a wonderful cruise and enjoyed the ports very much (Skagway was our favorite). Shopping opportunities abounded in all the ports, and we found some great buys.

We'd go at that time without hesitation.

It is when I go, but I love the coming of winter and stay around Alaska for a few weeks after a cruise.

I don't recommend it for a first trip to Alaska as you will see only one side of the whole picture and may not be able to visit many really good places.

We went on the last cruise of the season in late Sept. 2010. For the most part is was a bit cold and we had light rain. We got some snow on the train out of Skagway. We missed the Tracy Arm due to a huge storm that we outraced. If you are into shopping that is the time to go. The shops are closing down for the season and they are having big sales. All in all I would take an Alaskan cruise in late Sept again.

We did an Alaska cruise/tour in September, 2010. The weather was magnificant -- had absolutely no rain and the day temps were in the mid-70's. Evenings got a little chilly but that was way after 10:00. As far as shorter amounts of daylight at that time of the year, that was a non-issue. There was little to no difference from what we have at home in NC. We had an incredible time -- would we do that cruise again??, probably not. Only because that trip was perfect and I'm not sure we would experience such perfection again.

If you are looking to save money, I would opt for May rather than September for Alaska. While on average September is a bit warmer than May, May has far less rain (on average) and far more daylight. Alaska is so beautiful that I would want to be able to enjoy the light as much as possible. As examples of average weather patterns (from Yahoo weather).

Sitka, AK:

May - Average High 55 F, Average Low 39 F, average precipitation 4.86 Inches.

September - Average High 60 F, Average Low 44 F, average precipitation 12.38 inches.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the end of Sept a few years ago and it was cold most of the time and rained at all ports. The good thing was, all shops had GREAT sales as we were the last cruise till the start of the next season. Even the ship had on board sales of over 50% off anything related to Alaska as they were going to be in Hawaii in one week.

Archived