First Time Cruising, First Time Married, First Time Posting

Andos

Hi,

my fiancee and I are to be married onboard the Diamond Princess at sea, which is sailing from Singapore to Beijing on the 20 April 2011. We have 4 days in Singapore before boarding and 4 days in Beijing when we disembark. This is our first time cruising and also our first time to the Far East.

Naturally, we have a lot of questions, some anxious and some casual. But, before I ask anything I would first like to thank everyone who has contributed their experiences and advice to these forums. I have found their input most valuable.

Our original cruise itinerary was:- Bangkok- Singapore- Ho Chi Minh- Nha Trang- Hong Kong- Taipei (Keelung)- Okinawa- Shanghai- Beijing

Because of the trouble in Thailand our itinerary was changed to:- Singapore- Ko Samui- Bangkok- Ho Chi Minh- Nha Trang- Hong Kong- Shanghai-Nagasaki- Busan -Beijing

This has since changed again to Singapore- Ko Samui- Bangkok- Ho Chi Minh- Nha Trang- Hong Kong- Shanghai- Nagasaki- Dalian- Beijing

1) My first question is that because our cruise itinerary has changed for the second time, would I still only require a double-entry visa?

I have trawled the forum's threads looking for this answer but have not been able to find a result that clarifies this. My main concern is that our first port in China(- where a visa is required) -is Shanghai then we sail to Japan then back to China where we will be entering two Chinese ports.

2) We booked a shore excursion in Hong Kong to take a ferry to Macau. If anybody done this tour, I really would like to hear of their experiences.

3) Is the Captain's Circle the same as the Captain's Table?

4) Has anybody out there been married on the Diamond Princess? Our ceremony is take place at 11am has anyone any tips for pre-wedding preparations?

5) We have each booked a Spa Treatment for the morning of our wedding, has anybody any advice to give as to how long these treatments last?

We are both nervous and excited at the same time and hope that any of you experienced cruisers will be able calm our anxieties. Who knows we may meet some of you onboard!!

Happy Sailing!!

Andos.

PS.

As this is my first post, I'm not sure if I can ask such a varied amount of topic questions in the same posting. If this is not permissable could the moderator please advise me the best way to do this?

Many thanks.

Hi There,

Welcome to cruise critic, congrats on your up coming wedding,

Have not been on this ship our cruise but have seen weddings on others all have been very well done.

Captains Circle is Princess past passengers programme you will get sent details at the end of your first cruise.

Chefs table is a must do meal/event, you need to book as soon as you board the ship places are very limited.

yours Shogun

I can't respond to the visa or shore excursion questions but no, the Captains Circle and Captains Table are not the same. In fact there is no "Captains Table". You might be thinking of the Chef's Table which is a special dinner, prepared for 12 people, for a cost of $75pp. You request the dinner as soon as you board the ship by calling the DINE line from your cabin telephone. The Captains Circle is the Princess membership program that you are automatically enrolled in after your first Princess cruise.

You will meet with the wedding planner before your wedding day. She will take care of everything for you.

Spa treatments can range from an hor to 2 hours depending on what specific spa treatment you signed up for.

Congratulations again!

1) My first question is that because our cruise itinerary has changed for the second time, would I still only require a double-entry visa?

We are on the Diamond Princess just before you. We are from the UK and have applied for a double-entry visa. Apparently, this is all that is required, as we go from Beijing, then to Dalian, then to Japan and back into China to Shanghi. Apparently, on the journey to/from Beijing and Dalian the ships stays in Chinese waters, therefore only a double entry visa is required.

However, to set your mind at rest, I would contact either your TA or Princess to confirm this.

Good luck with your wedding. We have only done two cruises so far, but it is nice to see the bridal parties walking through the ship.. and go aaahhh!!!

Barbara

1. You do not go to a non-Chinese port between Dalian and Beijing, so they count as one entry.

3. No. Captain's Circle is the Princess loyalty program. You will automaticly become a member at the conclusion of this cruise. Instead of Captain's Table, do you mean Chef's Table? that is a fancy, extra charge dinner.

I would contact princess, my guess is double, princess is open weekends............are you doing this through ta/ and chinese consulate or visa service........zierer visa service is

www.zvs.com and there is a princess login code, i think it is numeric and if you call customer assistance 1 800 774 6237 they will answer, open 6-6 pacific sat and sunday. they can give you the code....i would check zvs because they work with princess and know which ports are quick stamps (where if you were on your own you would require, like vietnam, and which ones are provided onboard..........)

Hi,

4) Has anybody out there been married on the Diamond Princess? Our ceremony is take place at 11am has anyone any tips for pre-wedding preparations?

Congratulations...sounds like you have an exciting cruise planned...

One suggestion I would make is to meet with the onboard wedding coordinator as soon as possible... don't wait until the last minute.

Our daughter got married on the Ruby and while it was all just fantastic in every way, the onshore wedding planners did not communicate properly and fully with the onboard coordinator as to what we wanted and planned/paid for. The onboard person went out of his way to make aure we were fully satisfied...and then some.

Bring copies of the communications with you when you board.

Have a great wedding and cruise.....

Andos

Welcome to Cruise Critic, your first cruise. Congratulations on you upcoming marriage!

There are a lot of people cruising with you. We have a roll call thread going and we would love to have you join us. Many would be happy to help you with some of your questions.

Here is a link to our thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27816550#post27816550

Will look to see you there!

Hi There,

Welcome to cruise critic, congrats on your up coming wedding,

Have not been on this ship our cruise but have seen weddings on others all have been very well done.

Captains Circle is Princess past passengers programme you will get sent details at the end of your first cruise.

Chefs table is a must do meal/event, you need to book as soon as you board the ship places are very limited.

yours Shogun

Thanks Shogun,

it looks like we're going to have to give the Chef's Table a try!

Andos.

I can't respond to the visa or shore excursion questions but no, the Captains Circle and Captains Table are not the same. In fact there is no "Captains Table". You might be thinking of the Chef's Table which is a special dinner, prepared for 12 people, for a cost of $75pp. You request the dinner as soon as you board the ship by calling the DINE line from your cabin telephone. The Captains Circle is the Princess membership program that you are automatically enrolled in after your first Princess cruise.

You will meet with the wedding planner before your wedding day. She will take care of everything for you.

Spa treatments can range from an hor to 2 hours depending on what specific spa treatment you signed up for.

Congratulations again!

Thank WeBeGone,

that's a useful little re: phoning the DINE line. I didn't even know that existed.

Rgds,

Andos.

We are on the Diamond Princess just before you. We are from the UK and have applied for a double-entry visa. Apparently, this is all that is required, as we go from Beijing, then to Dalian, then to Japan and back into China to Shanghi. Apparently, on the journey to/from Beijing and Dalian the ships stays in Chinese waters, therefore only a double entry visa is required.

However, to set your mind at rest, I would contact either your TA or Princess to confirm this.

Good luck with your wedding. We have only done two cruises so far, but it is nice to see the bridal parties walking through the ship.. and go aaahhh!!!

Barbara

Thanks for your well-wishes and thanks for putting my mind at rest regarding the visas.

Happy Sailing!

Andos.

Just wanted to congratulate you! Our friends just got home last week after sailing on the Diamond (Australia/NZ)...they said the ship was fabulous-it was in dry dock recently and is gorgeous!

Thanks very much. We' re really excited about the whole thing and knowing that the has just been service certainly adds to the appeal.

Andos.

1. You do not go to a non-Chinese port between Dalian and Beijing, so they count as one entry.

3. No. Captain's Circle is the Princess loyalty program. You will automaticly become a member at the conclusion of this cruise. Instead of Captain's Table, do you mean Chef's Table? that is a fancy, extra charge dinner.

Thanks Paul,

I am feeling little more relaxed about the visas now.

Andos.

Apply for a 6 month multiple entry visa, and do not put a reason on it or put Holiday. You must go to a Chinese Embassy and apply for the visa and just ask the girl, (they are always girls) if you need anything else on the app. You must wait for a few days and go back to pick it up and pay for it. Read and do everything they say or it will be rejected.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/

Contrary to Chinas insisting that you cannot, you can and we did pickup our visa at the embassy. However, it only had a sreet #, no sign outside the bldg. in DC.

We decided the Spa was too expensive for our taste so dont knwo but you can ask on the Diamond Forums again.

Congratulations on getting married. You'll find they are very nice and treat you well on Diamond.

There are 4 120 Volt plugins in your cabin, a 5th in the head to charge electric razors.

Pack, then throw half you clothes away, you wont need them but it is cool in Beijing so have a jacket.

There are 3 formal nights, so it is fun to dress up and go lok at the partiers. There is nothing Diamond personel cant handle. Ask your purser of the room steward.

I would contact princess, my guess is double, princess is open weekends............are you doing this through ta/ and chinese consulate or visa service........zierer visa service is

www.zvs.com and there is a princess login code, i think it is numeric and if you call customer assistance 1 800 774 6237 they will answer, open 6-6 pacific sat and sunday. they can give you the code....i would check zvs because they work with princess and know which ports are quick stamps (where if you were on your own you would require, like vietnam, and which ones are provided onboard..........)

Thanks Paul,

your advice has given us a little more assurance.

Andos.

Thanks Cacy,

we are doing this through a t/a and have now decided to go through the Chinese consulate. We shall take a look at this zvs you have mentioned.

Thanks for you reply!

Andos.

Welcome to cruising and marriage - both are a blast!!!! They do have certain similarities - rough seas etc but if you stick together it is a great adventure.

congrats

Teresa

Haha, very well put!!

Thanks for your well-wishes!!

Andos.

Congratulations...sounds like you have an exciting cruise planned...

One suggestion I would make is to meet with the onboard wedding coordinator as soon as possible... don't wait until the last minute.

Our daughter got married on the Ruby and while it was all just fantastic in every way, the onshore wedding planners did not communicate properly and fully with the onboard coordinator as to what we wanted and planned/paid for. The onboard person went out of his way to make aure we were fully satisfied...and then some.

Bring copies of the communications with you when you board.

Have a great wedding and cruise.....

That's a very useful tip BobT172. Thanks.

Andos.

Andos

Welcome to Cruise Critic, your first cruise. Congratulations on you upcoming marriage!

There are a lot of people cruising with you. We have a roll call thread going and we would love to have you join us. Many would be happy to help you with some of your questions.

Here is a link to our thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27816550#post27816550

Will look to see you there!

Sounds great!!

Andos.

Apply for a 6 month multiple entry visa, and do not put a reason on it or put Holiday. You must go to a Chinese Embassy and apply for the visa and just ask the girl, (they are always girls) if you need anything else on the app. You must wait for a few days and go back to pick it up and pay for it. Read and do everything they say or it will be rejected.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/

Contrary to Chinas insisting that you cannot, you can and we did pickup our visa at the embassy. However, it only had a sreet #, no sign outside the bldg. in DC.

We decided the Spa was too expensive for our taste so dont knwo but you can ask on the Diamond Forums again.

Congratulations on getting married. You'll find they are very nice and treat you well on Diamond.

There are 4 120 Volt plugins in your cabin, a 5th in the head to charge electric razors.

Pack, then throw half you clothes away, you wont need them but it is cool in Beijing so have a jacket.

There are 3 formal nights, so it is fun to dress up and go lok at the partiers. There is nothing Diamond personel cant handle. Ask your purser of the room steward.

Thanks Passin Thru,

that's a useful about the voltage sockets in the cabins. I never even thought about that!

Andos.

Archived