Mercury

Bridge Maven

In the past few days I read a number of posts mourning the loss of Mercury. Am I the only person who didn't like that ship? I loved Century (before it was redone), Infinity, Millennium, and Constellation, but hated Mercury.

Apparently so!:D

When my DH describes a cruise as the "Best Cruise Ever!!!" I know it was special. That is our memory of Mercury. We will be sailing on the farewell cruise, and it will certainly be bittersweet for us. :(

I cruised on the Celebrity MERCURY just twice, once a couple of years after she entered service on a cruise in 2000, and again this past December almost 10 1/2 years later. I have pictures of side by side comparisons, and with a few minor changes in upholstery, she is a testament of Celebritys upkeep and care of their ships. She ranks among the Top 10 best cruises I have ever taken, this last one Dec. 9-20, 2010 a near Perfect 10 in every aspect. She is/was a great cruise ship, and I REALLY hate to see her go.

These pictures taken in Mar 2000 and again in Dec 2010: 10 years, 9 months, 5 days apart....

Mercury11.jpg

Mercury2.jpg

Mercury3.jpg

Mercury4.jpg

Mercury5.jpg

Mercury6.jpg

While I can't say that I hate Mercury, I would have to say that she is our least favorite Celebrity ship, & I don't even know why. We found that there was just something about her that did not endear us to her; maybe it is the decor or color schemes, I don't know. We sailed on her twice & both times had a great cruise, so it wasn't enough to hinder our experience. Galaxy was her twin & we loved her, & Century is our favorite ship, so it's not the size of her.

Having said that, I'm sad to see her go. I would have loved to see Celebrity keep Mercury & Galaxy, & even Zenith if they would have added balconies to her.

Curious - If you liked Century prior to her upgrades, then what do you not like about Mercury?

cruzeluver, I thought the finishes in the public areas on Century were elegant while the public areas on Mercury were very blah and unimpressive. The Century was in excellent condition when we sailed her while Mercury was the only ship I have even been on that was in fair to poor condition at the time. Evening entertainment on Mercury was the worst of any ship we had ever sailed. I can't comment on afternoon activities because I spent them playing bridge. We had sky suite cabins on both ships but the butler for our Century cruise was excellent while our butler on Mercury was nice but after 10 days didn't even remember that my husband drinks tea and not coffee. In addition, the carpet in our sky suite on Mercury was worn and its upholstery was stained with some thread bare spots. Even though I hated the ship itself we had a wonderful group of table mates on Mercury and met many other lovely people during that cruise so we had a good time anyway.

Each cruiser has their own memories of a particular ship. Mercury just happens to be a favorite of mine. The ship has a very elegant feel. Not too glitzy, but comfortable. And the staff and crew have always been excellent. After a total of over 75 days on this ship alone, I too am sad to see it leave the fleet.

DH and I sailed on her in January, 2010. What really disgusted us was the plumbing. I wasn't surprised to hear about the noro-outbreak later that winter. How can you contain a gastro-intestinal virus when the toilets don't have an adequate water level, even in the public areas, let alone in the staterooms? There was also a sewage odor outside the theatre.

Other than that, it was a good cruise. But no, I won't miss her.

Kathy

Archived