Ft. Lauderdale hotels

steffysmom

Traveling on the Ruby Princess in November 2011 and we are looking at hotels for pre/post cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel that is close to the cruise terminal and possibly a water view (so we can see the Ruby arriving).

I also am looking for a decent hotel for two nights , Feb 17th ,18th...will be going on the Epic

. also if this question is off top.ic but do they do cabin upgrades ? if already booked on inside? would like to get Balcony...:confused:

I also am looking for a decent hotel for two nights , Feb 17th ,18th...will be going on the Epic

. also if this question is off top.ic but do they do cabin upgrades ? if already booked on inside? would like to get Balcony...:confused:

There're a lot of decent hotels near the FLL Airport : Hyatt Place South or North, Hyatt Summerfield, Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, La Quinta Inn, Springhill Suites...all of them are affordable and very decent. Good Luck :)

If I were staying 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale I wouldnt even consider staying at a airport hotel. My choice would be the beach area or 17th street hotels. I like the Las Olas area also but choice of hotels is limited with the Riverside being the one most cruisers choose.

we got it for about 90 a night on priceline for our october 2010 cruise. it was clean and a very nice room. close to some shopping and the publix as well. it has free shuttle service to the port. just sign up at the front desk. the shuttle leaves every 30 minutes usually starting around 10:30 in the morning.

we got it for about 90 a night on priceline for our october 2010 cruise. it was clean and a very nice room. close to some shopping and the publix as well. it has free shuttle service to the port. just sign up at the front desk. the shuttle leaves every 30 minutes usually starting around 10:30 in the morning.

Just as an FYI, Hyatt Place North recently posted the following on their website:

"Beginning April 1, 2011, transportation to the Port Everglades (cruise port) will be $6/person. Service available for drop off only."

The Ruby isn't going to ride right by any of the hotels. The Lago Mar will give you the closest view of the Ruby entering the port from the ocean. The Hyatt Pier 66 or Hilton Marina south facing high rooms will give you a view of the Ruby in port. Someone above said the Pier 66 is 10 minutes from the terminal...they meant by foot...you can actually walk a block or so from the hotel to the 17th St. drawbridge in the morning to see the ship docking...it will be quite early though!

Thought the Epic sailed from Miami??? To answer your off topic question, have you booked a guarantee? You are more likely to get upgraded if so, however not from an inside to a balcony. NCL sometimes offer upsells, where you are offered a better cabin for much less than the original rate. Only time we have ever been upgraded on NCL was when we changed to another category and paid the full asking room rate.

Traveling on the Ruby Princess in November 2011 and we are looking at hotels for pre/post cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel that is close to the cruise terminal and possibly a water view (so we can see the Ruby arriving).

You do realize the Ruby will most likely arrive sometime between 5:00-6:00 AM?

If I were staying 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale I wouldnt even consider staying at a airport hotel. My choice would be the beach area or 17th street hotels. I like the Las Olas area also but choice of hotels is limited with the Riverside being the one most cruisers choose.

IF you want to pay a LOT of money and get a GREAT room go for the HYATT Pier 66, call the Hotel direct and tell them you want a guaranteed Cruise Pier View - HIGH floor. The Renaissance on 17th street is another very nice hotel, right across the street from the Cruise Port Security Entrance (must drive or take cab), but also $$$. You can stay at numerous places on the beach $$$. For as low as $59/night you can stay at numerous La Quinta's, Courtyard's, Red Roof's, etc. Perfectly fine for a few nights or one pre-or-post cruise. These are out further near the FL Turnpike, I-95, or the Airport. I have stayed at the Renaissance numerous times and really like it, but usually we stay a few nights and I am just not willing to spent $1,000 before we even get on the ship. If I spend it before I get on the ship - I don't have it to spend on (or off) the ship. Life is choices. We use cash only; no credit cards; we pay as we go and we are both retired now so----we give ourselves a limit.

PLENTY of nice places to stay - take YOUR choice.

As to the person that had an inside and wanted a balcony - LIFE IS FULL OF CHOICES; I will stay in a La Quinta for $59 on land BUT I booked AQ on the cruise. Make your choice. . . . .:D

IF you want to pay a LOT of money and get a GREAT room go for the HYATT Pier 66, call the Hotel direct and tell them you want a guaranteed Cruise Pier View - HIGH floor. The Renaissance on 17th street is another very nice hotel, right across the street from the Cruise Port Security Entrance (must drive or take cab), but also $$$. You can stay at numerous places on the beach $$$. For as low as $59/night you can stay at numerous La Quinta's, Courtyard's, Red Roof's, etc. Perfectly fine for a few nights or one pre-or-post cruise. These are out further near the FL Turnpike, I-95, or the Airport. I have stayed at the Renaissance numerous times and really like it, but usually we stay a few nights and I am just not willing to spent $1,000 before we even get on the ship. If I spend it before I get on the ship - I don't have it to spend on (or off) the ship. Life is choices. We use cash only; no credit cards; we pay as we go and we are both retired now so----we give ourselves a limit.

PLENTY of nice places to stay - take YOUR choice.

As to the person that had an inside and wanted a balcony - LIFE IS FULL OF CHOICES; I will stay in a La Quinta for $59 on land BUT I booked AQ on the cruise. Make your choice. . . . .:D

Like you say, LIFE IS FULL OF CHOICES, and like I said my choice would be to not stay at a airport hotel in Ft Lauderdale if I was staying for more than 1 night pre-cruise. We consider the pre cruise experience part of our overall vacation and especially in a great city like Ft.Lauderdale where there are so many great places to stay and things to enjoy. We have stayed in Ft Lauderdale pre cruise and also on land vacations numerous times and have never paid as you say $1000 for a room, especially for just a couple of nights. In todays world, with Priceline and Hotwire it isnt necessary to pay that kind of money to stay in a place and in a area that is enjoyable with numerous options for a nice pre cruise stay. Out of necessity we have stayed at airport area hotels in Ft Lauderdale a couple of times post cruise but that would certainly not be our choice for a pre cruise stay. However if you like to stay in a $59 dollar a night room on the interstate that is your choice but not mine. In my post I was only trying to give what I thought was good advice as to what areas would be nice to stay in.

We'll be on the Emerald Princess in March and are trying to find a hotel either near the airport or port that allows smoking in the rooms since my mother-in-law will be along. It is nearly impossible!

I've tried the Hyatt, Hilton Marina, Renaissance, La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites. The ONLY one I found, and at $159, was the Comfort Inn (not suites) on Stirling Rd. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sue

We are sailing on the Valor in July and have been considering staying at The Embassy Suites on 17th. Is this a good choice? We like the cooked to order breakfast and manager's reception. We want to be close to a grocery store to buy soda/water. I don't want to spend a fortune for just 1 day, but I don't mind spending a little more than a typical Comfort Inn type room. Thanks.

Like you say, LIFE IS FULL OF CHOICES, and like I said my choice would be to not stay at a airport hotel in Ft Lauderdale if I was staying for more than 1 night pre-cruise. We consider the pre cruise experience part of our overall vacation and especially in a great city like Ft.Lauderdale where there are so many great places to stay and things to enjoy. We have stayed in Ft Lauderdale pre cruise and also on land vacations numerous times and have never paid as you say $1000 for a room, especially for just a couple of nights. In todays world, with Priceline and Hotwire it isn't necessary to pay that kind of money to stay in a place and in a area that is enjoyable with numerous options for a nice pre cruise stay. Out of necessity we have stayed at airport area hotels in Ft Lauderdale a couple of times post cruise but that would certainly not be our choice for a pre cruise stay. However if you like to stay in a $59 dollar a night room on the interstate that is your choice but not mine. In my post I was only trying to give what I thought was good advice as to what areas would be nice to stay in.

AND I agree with you, we are just the people that would 'always' be at the Hyatt or whatever was considered the best area! But last year, out of the blue (while on vacation, and 2 days before we were to leave and take our 2 terrific, grandchildren on a Solstice Cruise) my DH was in the hospital, 1,200 miles from where we lived having 1/2 of his foot amputated.

Two MONTHS later, and after weeks of IV's, home health nurses (at our daughter's home), wound vacuum pumps, in and out of hospitals, back and forth to doctors and a skin graft we were finally given the OK to drive 1200 miles back home! BUT I could only drive about 250 miles per day and if DH was in too much pain or there was too much bleeding we had to stop for 2 nights not just 1. Well, I hate to tell you this but I did not see anyone sending me money - nor did I want them too - so we planned our trips as economically as possible. We decided to try a La Quinta for the first time, for our first stop. We picked one in Georgia and it was one of the nicest Motels we have ever stayed in. It was CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! We had to take in IV medications, bandages, etc. and my DH was in a wheelchair. The staff was very helpful and offered to help me if I needed additional trash bags, ice, etc. and refused the tip I offered them, saying "no you needed extra help and I was just glad to help you". I did need extra help it was a lot of hard work, I was 62 and a lot of that stuff is really heavy. We continued to use La Quinta's as we moved north and were NEVER disappointed. It was a 1 night trip going down and a 5 night trip going home. We could not afford $159++/night for 5 nights. My DH has since lost his job because of his surgery. I have NO DOUBT that you mean well, you sound like a really nice person. I do NOT want to start a fight with you or anyone, if we were on a ship, I would gladly buy you a beverage and discuss this; just don't be too quick to spend other people's money, they may not have it, and don't be so condescending about La Quinta's etc., We were very surprised ourselves but I can tell you The $59-$89 La Quinta's we stayed in were as good as and in many cases better than many Hampton's, Embassy Inn's and other upper end places that cost a lot more - and not any better. For anyone that can afford it I think that the Hyatt Pier 66 is the perfect place to stay. But for those, for whatever reason, do Not WANT to spend that much per night there ARE other good choices.

I would rather my DH were well again, I would rather my DH have his job that he LOVED back again, with his great income, he was so much happier! It is hard when you get fired because you lost half of your foot.

It is a very small price to pay to stay closer to a highway than the water for the man that you love! I would give him MY foot if it would help!

We are staying three night pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale and wish to go to the Habourside Shops; The Galleria, and Los Olas Blvd. Can anyone tell me which of these hotels would suit us? As this is part of the holiday we want to relax and perhaps hit the beach too.

Many thanks for your help!

We are staying three night pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale and wish to go to the Habourside Shops; The Galleria, and Los Olas Blvd. Can anyone tell me which of these hotels would suit us? As this is part of the holiday we want to relax and perhaps hit the beach too.

Many thanks for your help!

The Hyatt Place North is only about a 5 or 10 minute walk to the Harbor Shops. Also if you are there on Fri-Sun the Sun Trolley can take you to Las Olas and possibly to the Galleria. When we were there in Nov. the driver told us that they would be starting service to the Galleria. If not you can take the local bus #40 which runs on 17th very close to the Hyatt Place. The Pier 66 is a nicer hotel but not near as convenient to the Harbor Shops.

The Hyatt Place North is only about a 5 or 10 minute walk to the Harbor Shops. Also if you are there on Fri-Sun the Sun Trolley can take you to Las Olas and possibly to the Galleria. When we were there in Nov. the driver told us that they would be starting service to the Galleria. If not you can take the local bus #40 which runs on 17th very close to the Hyatt Place. The Pier 66 is a nicer hotel but not near as convenient to the Harbor Shops.

Aarep - Many thanks for the information, It looks as though it will be The Hyatt Place North as we can't walk too far. We booked The Hyatt Place North for our post- cruise stay as it's only for one night. Now will try and get booked for the pre-cruise stay.

I highly recommend the Embassy Suites on 17th. We stayed there pre cruise in October. There's a shopping center just around the corner with a Publix grocery store .. And several restaurants ...all within walking distance. Hotel is minutes from the cruise pier. They have an excellent pool area. Rooms are great...as is the managers reception and the full breakfast in the morning. We did not use the shuttle to our ship...we used a taxi...just faster...and not that expensive. We were on the Solstice.

Hyatt Pier 66 is the best option, second Renaissance, ant third try the Hilton Marina any of this three hotels .

We just stayed at the Hyatt place North on 10th street near 17th street. We will not stay there again. Our room had a horrible smell to it. Internet service was a joke. Breakfast was ok. You have to order hot foods and pay for them. Cold items are free. The only good thing I can say about this place is that there is an Outback steakhouse within walking distance which was very good. I had read reviews about this place, some good and some bad, but thought we would give it a try. It was not for us.

Archived