Which "British" cruiseline do you like most?

EJNutz

Which "British" Cruise line do you prefer?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which "British" Cruise line do you prefer?

• Cunard
    • P&O
    • Fred Olsen
    • Thomson
    • Cruise and Maritime
    • Swan Hellenic
    • Other

I have cruised with Cunard, Fred, Thomson and P&O. All have their good points. I prefer P&O above the rest. I just felt that they had the entertainment right, food superb and varied and most of all the ships were well set out. In some cases feeling very British.

I have always found the service on P&O to be second to none (perhaps I have been lucky until now), the other lines I have always had an issue with something and in most cases sorted out satisfactory.

I would have no qualms cruising with the others again, however if I had a choice P&O would win.

Quite difficult, this, as we enjoyed our Thomson Red Sea cruise enormously.....but we'll have to go for P&O out of the 2 UK ones we've tried. I really want to try some of the smaller ships, and don't think Cunard would be quite right for us....but I'd go on the QM2 for the experience.

Jo.

Tough one this - I prefer P&O if I'm cruising on my own and Cunard if with friends. Since Cunard have Gentlemen Hosts you might think this is an odd way round, but I just feel more at home with P&O and the seating managers in the restaurants are much better at matching like-minded people. I have only had one really duff table and that was on QE2 (Caronia Restaurant)! We were also disappointed on QE to be seated on our own (three of us) rather than the large table we had requested !

I'm a great Fred Olsen fan, couldn't get more British than them! I haven't been on P & O yet, so can't comment there. Not too keen on QM2 - found them to be very American trying to be British! Nearly all American passengers anyway.

I need a ship where the majority of passengers know how to use a knife and fork before I'd call it a 'British' ship.

Sorry - we all need our little snobberies!:D

I'm a great Fred Olsen fan, couldn't get more British than them! I haven't been on P & O yet, so can't comment there. Not too keen on QM2 - found them to be very American trying to be British! Nearly all American passengers anyway.

I need a ship where the majority of passengers know how to use a knife and fork before I'd call it a 'British' ship.

Sorry - we all need our little snobberies!:D

I've sailed with Cunard five times and hardly ever come across someone from the US. Nor have I found them to be "very American" apart from everything being priced in dollars. :)

It depends on which cruise you choose. You will get more mix on an Atlantic crossing.

I've sailed with Cunard five times and hardly ever come across someone from the US. Nor have I found them to be "very American" apart from everything being priced in dollars. :)

It depends on which cruise you choose. You will get more mix on an Atlantic crossing.

I've sailed with Cunard twenty times. I groan at the references to entrees, elevators and trash on a regular basis. And I complain on the comment card every time.

It is certainly true that there are more Americans on a crossing, rather than an ex-Southampton round trip cruise.

The quantity of ice in a glass is very American too.

I love the line, but it is not pure British.

WD

I went with Olsen.....however...they have priced themselves right off the ballpark insofar as I am concerned, at least until I win the lottery. Olsen do offer a decent British product and they do run a tight fleet of ships with excellent staff etc.

Having been on Cunard & P&O before they got Carnivalised, I am not overly keen to go back...again mainly due to being overpriced for solo's on the itineraries that tickle the fancy....such as Middle East & Far East.

So, for the time being at least, I am staying with the Carnivalised Italian line, Costa. That might change if the British lines actually drop their solo fares and have a similar choice of itineraries that Costa offer.

Americans tend to fill the glass with ice, then add the drink.

That's all I meant - that the fact that the bartenders tend to do this suggests that they are following American tastes.

WD

Lurker from US here who just has to comment that I knew exactly what you meant by American ice. And, I readily admit I like even more ice than most of my friends.

Reading these posts makes me think i'd like to cruise on a ship where most passengers weren't from America. Part of traveling for me is to meet people who don't act and sound like I do, and that's true for any kind of traveling.

Thanks for letting me chime in.

Sorry I cannot really comment on British Cruise Lines as we have only sailed on P&O twice. Done quite a few on RCI which we like. Of the two P&O Ships Oceana and Oriana, the Oriana wins hands down beautiful ship but I also think it is the Cruise itinary that helps make the holiday, 2 more RCI cruises and then we will be trying out some different lines.

Archived