NCL Epic studio question

FSUJim

vacationluvver,

I doubt two people would book the studio...1) its 150% of an interior room pp 2) interior rooms are 25 sf larger.

I never said anything about two people booking a studio. I just said that two friends cruising together might each book a studio so that each one could have his own bathroom, which would contradict what another poster said about knowing that every person in a studio was traveling solo.

My opinion is that a solo cruiser is one who came on the cruise without anyone else (friend, spouse, partner, cousin, whatever), and I disagree with those who have posted in other threads that being a solo cruiser is not merely a matter of being alone, that it is a matter of reveling in being alone and being unwilling to talk to or share a meal with another cruiser, because, according to them, if you're by yourself and are willing to mingle, then you're a single cruiser, not a solo cruiser.

And I really disagree with the idea that people who cruise with their friends are solo cruisers.

The maitre'd, however, told me several times that many diners did not want us [solos] dining with them. I think thats untrue and the maitre'd was ignorant .

It's possible he was telling the truth. There are lots of threads in this forum in which people have told stories about rude treatment they received from couples who made it clear that they did not want to sit with solos.

vacationluvver,

I doubt two people would book the studio...1) its 150% of an interior room pp 2) interior rooms are 25 sf larger.

All I am saying is you can't guarantee that everyone in the lounge is traveling alone.

Besides knowing that there are not hair dryers unless you immediately request one, get a lesson on the lights. Took me all week to figure out. Sink light operates with switch in cabinet on left. Night lights/bed lights can work independently. Ask attendent to show you. Go to Le Bistro.

Yep, that night at Le Bistro will always be one of my fondest cruise memories! Don't know about you but the post-cruise blues are just now beginning to lift.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Yep, that night at Le Bistro will always be one of my fondest cruise memories! Don't know about you but the post-cruise blues are just now beginning to lift.

Cheers!

Hey Jane!!

I had post cruise blues immediately afterwards, too. Looking forward to my mini-cruise in a few weeks with my son. After the Epic, though, I think I will be solo cruising from now on. I felt like it was a spa vacation, plus I loved sharing time with you and my new friends. I can t imagine cruising solo on any other ship. Do you agree?

• 4 weeks later...

kitsapgal

You stayed in the cabin I am going to stay in .. Did the door keep you up? How was that cabin? Should I switch cabins if I can?

I would email you directly but I couldn't find your email. I read your review...

Kim

Kim, if you mean my cabin, 11517, I think it was the best studio cabin--very convenient location and easy to find. No noise from the lounge or halls, both of which were always quiet.

Jane, any more cruises planned? As soon as I get a job for next year, I'm booking the Epic again either Easter or Feb. break.

No,..,no..I am in 11516.,.and I read somewhere that the door opening and closing to the lounge could be a problem.

I stayed in 11516 in December. The cabin is very close to the lounge, and therefore very convenient, but the noise of the opening and closing door to the lounge was somewhat of a nuisance. If I had known that, I would have opted for another cabin a bit deeper into the hallway.

Sergio

• 2 weeks later...

Was wondering if an over the door shoe holder would help with the lack of drawers in the Epic Studios?

I take my makeup/general junk in a hang up toilet bag, which I hang on (if available) door hook. But, I'm not the greatest in keeping stuff organized and thought that the plastic shoe holder would help me out, since a lack of drawer space seems to be an issue on the Epic. Any opinions from Epic Studio past travelers?

Also, can someone elaborate about the hairdryers. It seems that I read you have to get them from reception and then return them? Is this everyday and before each use?:eek:

Thanks so much.

Kim, if you mean my cabin, 11517, I think it was the best studio cabin--very convenient location and easy to find. No noise from the lounge or halls, both of which were always quiet.

Jane, any more cruises planned? As soon as I get a job for next year, I'm booking the Epic again either Easter or Feb. break.

Hi Meg,

I just did a last minute Holland America cruise to the Sea of Cortez, Puerto Vallarta, back to Vancouver. Very boring compared to the Epic but at least I found some sun. Next week it's back to the Epic for the Transatlantic to Barcelona, then 11 more days on her cruising the Med. I'm so excited, i've never been there and have a couple of special tours booked with CC friends. One is a motorcycle sidecar tour of Barcelona. The other is a day long boat trip with four other folks around Capri and to Positano. Then I think I'm out of commission for a while with possible hip surgery (previous implant has been recalled :mad:) and two definite knee surgeries. No fun but I'm glad I can get them done. Good luck with the job. Let me know when you book again. I may be up for more cruising by then and it would be a blast to see you again. Hope all is going well with the boys. You can email me at janeeirvine@gmail.com.

I've heard Barcelona is wonderful, Capri and Positano are awesome. Check out the other speciality restaurants and let us know if they are as good as Le Bistro. Miss you and the girls!!! Be well.

No,..,no..I am in 11516.,.and I read somewhere that the door opening and closing to the lounge could be a problem.

Gee, I didn't even hear the door opening in my cabin. Maybe is was more bothersome where the door latch/handle is and room 11516 is. I would book 11517 again.

Back from a great cruise...11516 was in a great spot..however; the door closing drove me crazy...I wouldn't stay in that cabin again..I would go a few doors down. I did have them prop it open but it was night 6..I wish I thought of that days earlier.

Overall though..loved everything about the studios..great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info on the studios, I'll be sailing on the Epic in 2 weeks!

I think all this chatter about solo vs single or whatever people call it, is a way for people to label people that they don't understand.

As for the people who say they don't want to eat with solo/single travelers they're probably the same ones that think that solo means they don't want to meet anyone. I'm sure there are a couple around, but in my travels I have found the vast majority of people are interested in meeting other people. I've traveled by myself many times (though never on a cruise) and I find people are more often curious about people who travel alone and they're they're brave or adventursome. Sure it's easier to travel with a friend, but I'm not going to wait until someone else wants to take a trip to go on one.

I am more excited about this one than any other cruise. Looking forward to going back to Le Bistro but I'll never have better company than last time:)

Hi Jane! Got any future cruising plans? Miss you and our Epic group!

A lot of chatter about solo vs single, and folks not wanting strangers as company. From my experiences, its not the passengers, but rather the cruise person who seats you or assigns a table. I felt NCL did everything they could to make solos dine alone. Shame on you, NCL. RCCL has been, IMO, much better about assigning solos with other diners.....IMO>>>>IMO.

I am going on the Epic on 12/17. Quite excited. For those of you that have gone on this ship, did having other designated solo's and the studio lounge make it a better experience for you than other ships?

I found that on the Jewel I never really got in sync and it seemed the few other solos were kind of withdrawn. My expectation of the Epic is that being larger, it would be somewhat like being in NYC and having a certain level of anomity, yet having the comfort of meeting others via the abundance of entertainment and music options.

• 3 weeks later...
I am going on the Epic on 12/17. Quite excited. For those of you that have gone on this ship, did having other designated solo's and the studio lounge make it a better experience for you than other ships?

I found that on the Jewel I never really got in sync and it seemed the few other solos were kind of withdrawn. My expectation of the Epic is that being larger, it would be somewhat like being in NYC and having a certain level of anomity, yet having the comfort of meeting others via the abundance of entertainment and music options.

Although the Epic is the only ship I have cruised solo on, the lounge happy hour made it a better experience because at least 25 people showed up each night, most likely looking for dinner partners. So, you BS for an hour and join a group for dinner. The CD took us to dinner one night w complimentary wine w dinner ...several bottles. another night, about seven of us went to le bistro for an A+ dinner. Plus it was nice that others couldn t come in lounge....in sum, it is most likely the only way I will cruise solo, and I can t wait to do it again!!

Hi all!

I was solo in a studio cabin from May 18 - 29th & loved it so much I've booked again for the Caribbean in Nov. IMO the lounge really adds to the experience but be sure to go the 1st night when they make introductions & people connect.

It was nice to say to a new friend meet me in the lounge then we decided where to go for supper or who wanted to see The Beatles etc. The lounge is also a great place to get a quick continental breakfast (opens at 7:00 am) or to get a specialty coffee & a cookie or 2.

BTW there was a hairdryer in my cabin (12524) & there is a big basket under the bed you could store things in, also in the hassock.

I met up with Jane & we shared some nice times. She's still sailing the Med. lucky gal:D.

How many days 'til my next Epic adventure?!:confused: Wish I could get my countdown clock fixed!

CIao

~ Jo ~:)

Archived