Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Just read through this entire thread and you ladies amaze and impress me.

I have to confess—I hate shopping and trying on clothes. But, I do like to look smart (at least as smart as I can). And, what I like even more is to be organized/efficient.

Our cruise is months away, but I have to start thinking now because in a few short months, Montreal stores will be selling winter wear and nothing but.

After reading all your posts, here's the start of my own list of personal resolutions (hmmm...we'll see after the cruise how successful I'll have been):

• everything must fit in a small suitcase (the size that doesn't need to be checked at the airport)
  • all casual skirts must have elastic waistbands (I may wear a size 8 but comfort is key; none of my zippered skirts are going to make "the list")
  • shoes: 1 dressy black sandal, 2 casual (red Beautifeel mules, beige linen platform slingbacks), 1 bling flip-flop, 1 beach flip-flop, walking shoes (Skeechers) plus workout shoes AT MOST (and if I couldn't possibly imagine running an errand/doing groceries with any of my choices, they will stay home with the family cat)
  • tops that can do double duty get packed first
  • 2 bathing suits at most
  • 2 cardigans preferably (hmmm...have only one "summery" cardigan thus far)
  • 2 pashminas (maybe only one if I find a second cardigan)
  • even my most casual skirts must be MDR-friendly in a pinch (with a little help from accessories, of course)
  • my white "free gift" Calvin Klein bag will work overtime as purse during flight, purse/carry-on on sailaway day and pool/workout/beach/shopping bag during the cruise
  • a white hoodie will help me get out of the Montreal winter, keep me warm in the plane and serve as a cover for getting to the gym or sitting on deck late in the evening

Reading your posts is so going to help me plan. This is only our second cruise (the first was Disney Magic in 2004), but I am already sure that packing is going to be a lot easier this time around. I am so excited about my personal "small suitcase challenge."

Cheers to all!

Member123: Undergarments are key components to any outfit. With this beach dress, a strapless bra is a must. The problem I have is IT DOESN'T STAY where it should:eek: and tugging on it doesn't look ladylike or appropriate. The size is correct (according to the expert fitter at Victoria's Secret) but it slides down...:eek:and would probably end up around my waist! So with this beach dress, I wear a bustier and that took care of my issue.

If anyone has a secret for keeping a strapless in place - Please Share!!

But, Member123, your problem has more to do with the bottom half of a garment. The dresses I take are either heavy enough or are lined. A cotton half-slip has worked for me in the past. It won't cling or ride up. (Can you see it now: the strapless around my waist, and slip riding up to my hips!! Not a pretty sight...)

Lafleurfamily: Thank you for your kind words. My goal is to give everyone who wants to look good on a cruise, suggestions and ideas to make it fun and easy. Reading what others post helps, too.

You have earned my full attention with your goal to fit everything in one carry-on suitcase. You didn't say how long the cruise would be, but nevertheless, you are off to a great start:). Please keep us up to date on your progress!

Edited by indiana71

You have earned my full attention with your goal to fit everything in one carry-on suitcase. You didn't say how long the cruise would be, but nevertheless, you are off to a great start:). Please keep us up to date on your progress![/color][/size][/font]

9 days...but not 'til March. It's soooo far away. I'm just getting pre-organized. 1. Summer clothes are now on sale and I would hate to pay winter prices for vacation clothes. 2. Summer is less stressful because my sons are done with school, so I have more time. 3. I generally dislike shopping, so I "need" to know that I have the worst/most difficult part under control.

So far the small suitcase is looking very doable...I'll keep you all posted.

Indiana71. LOL.

Yes, I can picture the strapless bra around the waist and the polyester slip having all sorts of static cling and hiking up in the back! I won't say if this "picture" comes from personal experience....

Anyway...

the only strapless bras that I have ever bought that absolutely stay in place, are the ones that have the little bit of silicone in the band. The last one that I bought (cost a pretty penny, but it was worth it) was Marie Jo, which I believe is a European brand.

There are some bras at Soma that say they have the silicone banding. There is a huge Soma sale going on right now, and I'm going to buy one to see if it will stay in place as well. If I have any luck with it, I'll let you know.

I'm looking everywhere for a cotton half slip. My DD says that she can make one for me! She's a lovely girl and a good seamstress, but she has so many projects and so little time! I'm still looking, just in case she doesn't manage to get that project completed before my next cruise!

QUESTION: Do you wear flip-flops/thong sandals more than any other footwear?

i do ...usually its the one type of shoe that is most comfortable for me--i bring PLENTY as i never know from day to day what my foot will fit in...they are pretty light weight and i always MAKE the ROOM for them.

i am up to about a dozen right now for my 14 day and probably will add another pair or two by the time i am actually packing.

Cute, very cute dress. And so perfect for the Caribbean. OK, can we talk?

Undergarments. With this dress, obviously a strapless bra? Right? snip....

Here in Spain they sell convertible bras with straps that match your bra colour, transparent straps or jewelled straps. The transparent straps are also sold separately. I´ve included this link to show the type of thing I mean, not to promote this particular company

http://www.thebraangel.co.uk/category/Bra_Straps,b.html

Having the transparent straps is especially helpful if you have a larger bust and strapless bras aren´t an option.

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

Member123: Undergarments are key components to any outfit. With this beach dress, a strapless bra is a must. The problem I have is IT DOESN'T STAY where it should:eek: and tugging on it doesn't look ladylike or appropriate. The size is correct (according to the expert fitter at Victoria's Secret) but it slides down...:eek:and would probably end up around my waist! So with this beach dress, I wear a bustier and that took care of my issue.

If anyone has a secret for keeping a strapless in place - Please Share!!

For the first time in my entire life (almost 60 yrs!) I purchased 2 strapless smocked top maxi dresses for my very first cruise in August. The first dress is a size XL from DOTS which is all white--it has an attached lining that goes down to the knees so I don't think that will be a issue. I planned on wearing a crocheted shrug over the dress and had planned to fasten some sort of straps on the dress. I have never worn a strapless bra in my life so I was really wondering if I could ever find anything to hold up my sagging 38 DDs. After an afternoon of trying on practically every bra on in Macy's (it felt like 110 degrees in the store, to boot!) I found 2 bras. The one I really like is a Lilyette strapless underwire minimizer with detachable straps. Though the cups are unlined and made of stretch fabric, the bra has a silicon edge and really--no bounce, barely any movement. Mind you, I haven't actually WORN it yet but early indications are good--I especially like the MINIMIZER part!

I purchased this dress with detachable straps from Macy's online. I saw it in the store and absolutely love the way it looks (even on ME :rolleyes:):

238398761_stylcogardenprint.jpg.6249d7b35798d3232c73f6cc91c104c2.jpg

Sorry for the small picture but the dress is out of stock already!

I've been fooling around with the detachable straps--affixing them directly to the bra rather than the dress itself--maybe that would work (or it could be a recipe for a nasty wardrobe malfunction :eek:) Another option is to get blinged out bra straps and attach them to a convertible bra for a little more support. The bling might them look like part of the dress. I'm thinking of getting some fancy trim (with rhinestones or pearls, etc.) and trying to make my own bra straps to affix either to the white dress or the bra.

If all else fails--wear a shrug! ;)

Edited by dddaisy

Lafleurfamily: My next cruise is in March, too - such a long way off:( - BUT I agree, now is the time to buy summer clothes. Most of my cruise outfits have been purchased at sales at the end of the season.

Last week while shopping w/ DDL in Minneapolis, I saw a great pair of shorts...but not my size. Well, today I stopped at our local thrift shop and lo and behold, there was an almost identical pair - for only $3.99:). It felt like one of those magazine articles that show 2 outfits - 1 a splurge and the other, similar but much less expensive! On occasion the thrift store has some quality items. Makes me wonder, "Why would someone get rid of this??"

UNDERGARMENT ISSUES: Thanks for the comments/suggestions about strapless bras. I will look for one w/ silicone.

What a great idea for those of you who can sew or are crafty - make your own straps!! Now that showing straps is in style, how cool it would be to have ones that match a color or have some bling.

STARFISH*4: Wow! Lots of flip-flops:cool:! You win the prize for the most pairs in your suitcase.

dddaisy: Good for you! Making a fashion statement and being comfortable at the same time! The picture you posted is a perfect example of a Caribbean Fashionista enjoying her cruise.

A shrug makes a good lightweight cover-up, too.

Edited by indiana71

STARFISH*4: Wow! Lots of flip-flops:cool:! You win the prize for the most pairs in your suitcase.

lol...i am not what you call a SHOE GIRL either:D...just on a cruise i take plenty of the flip-flop/thong/sandal type

after almost having to go 'barefoot' on a Hawaiian cruise (nothin i brought was fitting my feet) i decided then and there...take many choices and i do

also cant really do a heel so i keep my 'choices' in the above category.

as for strapless bras...i have many Cruise clothes that need this, and i am constantly searching for the BEST bra--so far like someone else mentioned the one with the silicone type on the band does the BEST for me.

i am always searching for new bras before a cruise--5 months out for me,

so its about time to start lookin!

By the way, I must say that I'm no fashion expert but here are some of the dresses I wore:D I think the only one missing is a black and purple maxi similar to the black and white one. This time, I really made an effort to coordinate jewelry with my dresses.

[ATTACH]198737[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198738[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198739[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198740[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198741[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198742[/ATTACH]

Cute. Love the red, white with bow and royal blue dresses especially.

It's fantastic! I'm a huge packing planner, too. I use Excel to create a spreadsheet for each type of vacation; 1 week cruise, weekend at the beach, etc. If I don't make a list, it somehow stays home...like my PJ's did when I thought "Oh, it's a weekend in Palm Beach, I know what to bring":rolleyes: Now, a list is always made no matter what!

One thing I feel I have slacked on is the accessories. Some outfits do have certain jewelry that I take, but not all. This thread has inspired me to include all accessories into the day-to-day outfit choices.

Anyone have ideas of how to wear scarves? I have some really pretty ones I have purchased, some onboard cruise ships, but have no clue how to wear them or what to do with them:confused:

Indiana71 - If the Clothes Mentor is close to your DS in MN, I highly recommend you check them out. It's a cash-on-the-spot resale store that is very picky as to what they buy and has a lot of mid-to-higher end brands. I bought 11 items for $197.00. 5 of the 11 items were brand new with the tags still attached.:) Yes, quite proud of my bargains.

3dogmom: Welcome to the CCF thread! It's a pleasure to have another Super Packer letting everyone know how easy it is to make a packing list...knowing outfits in advance and spending time having fun rather than stressing over What To Wear:cool:.

Clothes Mentor: If anyone else has shopped at one of these resale shops, please post your experience. Thanks, 3dogmom, for the suggestion. I'll check w/ DDL, and if there's one we can go to in the fall, that would be perfect for The Next Cruise:).

Scarves: I don't know much about accessorizing w/ scarves (jewelry is more often my choice) but I always admire women who have a pretty scarf accenting an outfit.

Posters - please offer some assistance if you're a Scarf Person.

BTW - scarves would be easy to pack and don't weigh anything...a nice option.

Edited by indiana71

I'm thinking about The Next Trip. Although it isn't a cruise, the outfits are very similar - Las Vegas in September.

The way I pack jewelry is easy and organized; but how do the rest of you do it?

The little plastic bags that extra buttons come in are good for earrings. Jewelry rolls don't have pockets for individual pairs. The same type bag, but bigger (about 3" square that I get from DDL who is a jeweler for Premiere) are good for necklaces and chain bracelets. Snack-size Zip-Loc bags would work, too.

I put the earrings, necklace, bracelet (or whatever combination) that goes w/ a particular outfit together and write the go-with outfit on a Post-It. That goes in the bag, too.

All the jewelry "outfits" then go in one of those pouches you get free with a cosmetics purchase.

Photos will be posted later...

BUT - if anyone has a jewelry roll that is awesome, or other ways to pack, please post!

I'm thinking about The Next Trip. Although it isn't a cruise, the outfits are very similar - Las Vegas in September.

The little plastic bags that extra buttons come in are good for earrings. Jewelry rolls don't have pockets for individual pairs. The same type bag, but bigger (about 3" square that I get from DDL who is a jeweler for Premiere) are good for necklaces and chain bracelets. Snack-size Zip-Loc bags would work, too.

I put the earrings, necklace, bracelet (or whatever combination) that goes w/ a particular outfit together and write the go-with outfit on a Post-It. That goes in the bag, too.

All the jewelry "outfits" then go in one of those pouches you get free with a cosmetics purchase.

Photos will be posted later...

BUT - if anyone has a jewelry roll that is awesome, or other ways to pack, please post!

I used the zip-lock snack size for the last cruise and when we went to Mexico. I think that I got the idea from this thread :D Anyway it seemed to worked as well as anything. I then put all of the snack bags in a brocade dark red Lancome "gift with purchase" case that I have had for several years. If I also bring my "good" jewelry I use a small leather travel jewelry case that my daughter gave to me for that jewelry.

!

they dont make a jewelry roll BIG enough to hold all mine--really need a seperate bag for it and if there was NO airline restriction i would have it--remember the days of cosmetic cases well it would be my jewelry case!!

i have put all jewelry for each outfit in one zip and then that into 2 or more other type cosmetic bags--this time i will pack the necklaces and earrings into smaller little plastic bags then into the bigger zip so they dont get all tangled--recently ordered 200 various sizes from a BEAD/GEM place.--they are perfect size for the jewelry.

i carry some of the jewelry bags in my "personal" carry-on and hubby carries the others depending on how many i have to take--2 weeks always MORE jewelry- that way not all the COMPACTED METAL is together--so many times i have been stopped at security...so always looking for the BETTER ways of doing this!

last time i had 2 cosmetic pouches filled with jewelry and hubby had one

he was stopped.--they can weigh alot too i am surprised-course the jewelry nowdays is not the dainty stuff or mine isnt anyway.

i am always looking for the perfect jewelry case to travel with...i have so many--none are perfect.

Edited by STARFISH*4

I have a travel jewelry thingy that I bought from a catalog many years ago. It's fabric, velcros closed, and has pages like a book with lots of little clear zipper compartments.

Indiana71-thanks so much for your inspiration. I went on my first cruise last week (Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean). I planned all my outfits for each day and only had one pair of shorts & a top that I didn't wear. Using your system definately helped me to pack less than I normally would although I confess I did bring too much jewelry- I like to have choices available when I accesorize. I'll work on that for next time. Regarding strapless bras I bought this one that was recommended by the salesperson at Nordstrom.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chantelle-intimates-sensua-convertible-bra/2975611?origin=PredictiveSearch&resultback=997

It was pricey but is was comfortable & it stayed up!

STARFISH*4 - The zipper bags you ordered are the same kind DDL gives me - they're really good in different sizes, makes it easy to group jewelry together for each outfit.

I remember the cosmetics cases - wish I still had mine. Even though it was heavy & bulky, you're right - it would be PERFECT for jewelry! Especially the chunky styles and big earrings that are in style right now.

Remember the days when we wore a thin gold chain necklace and gold post earrings??

Andee - Your jewelry case sounds like it's easy to organize. There are so many types out there - some work better than others.

LabLoverT - Thank you for the kind words! It's truly heartwarming to know cruisers are helped on this thread:).

I will check out Nordstrom's, too - always searching for a strapless bra!

My Alterations Goddess: I took a dress that I love, but had a couple tiny issues. It's strapless w/ elastic in the back (a photo is a couple pages back - the one I'm wearing when posing next to the ballerina). The elastic back just wasn't tight enough, it didn't fit smoothly. And on a strapless dress, I prefer the front to have a slight dip in the middle (where other ladies actually have cleavage). My Alterations Goddess worked her magic - simply putting a couple darts in the back and gathering a little to make the dip in the front.

Moral of This Story: Find a good alterations person. They work wonders and make a garment look like couture!

CRUISE CLOTHES ASSESSMENT - Oh boy! I decided to see how many cruise clothes are in the Cruise Room. Are there enough to take a REALLY LONG cruise??? (not that there's one in the near or distant future). Here's the count:

Dresses, casual - 20

Dresses, formal - 5

Pants, formal - 2

Capris - 34:eek:

Blouses - 9

Shorts - 9

Shoes (all) - 23:eek:

Swimsuits - 4

Skirts - 4

I stopped there. Knit tops, T tops, camis are too numerous to count AND jewelry...let's just say there's lots of it;).

Clothes range from Nordstrom boutique to local consignment shop and even a couple Goodwill finds. Virtually all jewelry is costume.

Here's a photo of The Cruise Closet where a portion of the outfits live:

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3476%3C963%3B5335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

STARFISH*4 - The zipper bags you ordered are the same kind DDL gives me - they're really good in different sizes, makes it easy to group jewelry together for each outfit.

I remember the cosmetics cases - wish I still had mine. Even though it was heavy & bulky, you're right - it would be PERFECT for jewelry! Especially the chunky styles and big earrings that are in style right now.

Remember the days when we wore a thin gold chain necklace and gold post earrings??

i think these little zips are going to work out perfectly!

i still have my first real cosmetic case... hard side samsonite blue ...as much as it was used for years...still looks NEW!

i was remembering the first cruise 9 years ago this month and my jewelry was dainty and didnt take up that much room.

your CRUISE CLOSET is very COOL and isnt it fun adding to the CRUISE WARDROBE only one problem tho i am getting so much to choose from its hard to decide what has to stay home--3 weeks plus next year ...i will pack for 2 weeks then but doing a trial run on this 2 week cruise in December so still i get to take alot with me--i dont pack light:D

Thank you for sharing your wardrobe. How brave to actually do an inventory. It is so easy living in the north east US/Canada to accrue a huge summer/cruise wardrobe without trying...the summers are so short..things dont get a lot of wear and one only has to add a few things each summer and the next thing you know 34 pairs of capris!!!

I looked at couple of beautiful dresses today on 50% off and convinced myself that I should wear the two new unworn ones in my closet first - they were not formal and definitely not casual so without any wedding invites or long cruises on the horizon in the near future I decided that I should save my money. I also saw in the paper that my favourite boutique has an "up to 50% off"sale ...I am trying to convince myself that I do not need anything ...well Ill let you know how that goes...haha

Hi,

I'm just jumping into this thread because it sounds like fun. I too love to prepare outfits and try them on before my cruise. We leave for an 8/1/11 5-day one on the Carnival Fascinaton to Key West and Nassau. I'm already gathering everything together in our guest room. I love trying on old and new things and putting them together. I also still have my old cometic case from the 60s. I haven't used it in years but I just can't give it up. I used to have a 3-piece set but only the "train case" as we used to call it has survived (the other were loaned out years ago and were never returned). Maybe I should give that old thing (in great shape I must say) a look. I too have all kinds of jewelry rolls and little cases for my jewelry. It's so much fun to pack and prepare! The last day before the trip I pack everything that I've set aside. Then just to be sure I always throw in something extra!:p:D

STARFISH*4: Like you, there are so many choices - what goes and what stays???

The best part about having lots of choices is this: It's like going to the perfect clothing store where you know everything will fit - simply pick and choose, then mix and match. No disappointment when you find something wonderful...but not in your size:eek:.

I put everything on display (much like a store would do), making it easy to pull outfits together.

Cancun01: What good self-discipline you have! We've all been tempted to buy something because it's on sale...and then think, "Do I REALLY need this?" Sometimes it goes back on the rack...other times, it makes it to the Cruise Closet!

Keep us posted on your shopping.

mousey: Welcome to the CCF thread! I'm envious that you have a cruise in less than a month:cool:.

My "train case" was a great piece of luggage, too. Sadly, it's been years since it was donated to Goodwill. I remember that it had a tray that fit on top and elastic bands on the sides to hold bottles. Ah...those were the days of such civilized traveling!!

Isn't it fun to put old items with new ones? I have a couple things that are over 40 years old that have been on cruises - the pink leather clutch from my honeymoon, a yellow organdy blouse purchased when I was single and spent paychecks on clothes.

The consignment shop in my town is thriving. They sell high quality clothing and accessories + antiques. I keep looking for a vintage gold evening bag. The new ones aren't very classy...

Packing Something Extra: I do that too! Yes, with all of our preparations and try-ons, it's still fun to just pick something that might get worn and pack it in the suitcase before closing it;). And more often than not - it gets worn!

STARFISH*4: Like you, there are so many choices - what goes and what stays???

The best part about having lots of choices is this: It's like going to the perfect clothing store where you know everything will fit - simply pick and choose, then mix and match. No disappointment when you find something wonderful...but not in your size:eek:.

!

true i feel very LUCKY that i do have so much to choose from and more than 7 nights to wear it...do love those longer cruises.

but i do have to quit thinking i NEED something else--like that will happen:D

what i really NEED and should concentrate more on is the PERFECT PERSONAL CARRY-ON!

true i feel very LUCKY that i do have so much to choose from and more than 7 nights to wear it...do love those longer cruises.

but i do have to quit thinking i NEED something else--like that will happen:D

what i really NEED and should concentrate more on is the PERFECT PERSONAL CARRY-ON!

I finally found my perfect personal carry-on. It's perfect because it has a flap that will go onto the handle of my regular carry-on, and it's big enough to hold my small purse and other necessities of long travel... dvd player, book, etc. http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/a-la-carte-bagg-medium-crinkle-nylon/107617?productid=1283454