Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

[quote name='SoonerOne'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Love, love your necklace! I am a costume jewelry nut and I've been thinking about taking a class at Joanns, sounds and looks like a lot of fun.[/SIZE][/FONT] :)[/quote]

Thank you,
Ihave found making jewelry is very theraputic. I just love making it. I have never had any classes, just the internet. You'll be surprised what all you can find on jewelry making, I know I was.

I love the planning stage of a cruise. Fortunately, I live in a resort town and have access to cruise type clothes so I don't need to buy anything special.
I consider myself a cruise diva when it comes to packing. I was in Italy for a cruise/plus land tour and had only a carry-on. Oh, and that was a 3 wk trip!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]bpappel[/U]: A big WELCOME! Once you cruise the Caribbean, you will wonder why you didn't start sooner:cool::)![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Everyone on CCF has been kind and constructive. That's what makes this thread so nice!! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Shorts and lightweight pants would be a good basis for tours. Natural fabrics are cool (but you already knew that since buying your DH a linen shirt).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I would think 1 hat is enough...but some CCFs have more that match swimsuits, outfits, etc.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Dinner on most nights: summer dresses; skirts & tops with fun sandals and costume jewelry should work on ANY cruise line.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Keep coming back! There's good info/suggestions on every page. You will [I]love[/I] retirement and won't believe how nice it is to finally have time for yourself:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Men's Fashion Thread? I haven't seen one but welcome any comments RE guys cruising style.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]SueCitySue[/U]: And Welcome to you!! WOW! 3 weeks and ONLY a carry-on!! What did you pack?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]You said you live in a resort area and I see Delaware as the state. If you live near Rehoboth Beach, I envy you all the shopping opportunities...not to mention fabulous restaurants!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Please come back and let us know your packing plan![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks - today I'm wearing my white linen J Jill pants (full length) and I think these will make the cut. They can be laundered or dry cleaned. Even if I lose weight - I should be saying when, but I lack the necessary confidence in when, so I'll say if, they should be able to be altered and will simply fit more loosely. And since I'll be retired, I'll have time to alter them, right?
Maybe this is one thing I can do - wear and assess. Then when I'm doing my serious closet purge in October, I will have an idea. And when I review the CCF history I'll get more ideas.
I would love an excuse to own a bunch of summery floral dresses. I own one. I think that is going to be my reward to myself if I lose enough weight to warrant it. Dresses require more alteration so it would be easier to get new.

Beth

bbappel

There are so many good tips on this thread. The info which for me that was important was.
1. Plan your outfits for each day. Include what you will wear from head to toe. Write down what you will wear for each day, both day and evening wear.
2. Try on your outfits before you pack them.
3. Put you costume jewelry in a baggie for each outfit.
Planning will keep you from bring things that you will not wear. It will save time when you go to dress because you all ready know what you will be wearing.
These tips were just some of the great tips I found on this thread. Lot of info from indiana71. She has given great tips.

[quote name='geocruiser']bbappel

There are so many good tips on this thread. The info which for me that was important was.
1. Plan your outfits for each day. Include what you will wear from head to toe. Write down what you will wear for each day, both day and evening wear.
2. Try on your outfits before you pack them.
3. Put you costume jewelry in a baggie for each outfit.
Planning will keep you from bring things that you will not wear. It will save time when you go to dress because you all ready know what you will be wearing.
These tips were just some of the great tips I found on this thread. Lot of info from indiana71. She has given great tips.[/QUOTE]

As I was reading your post I realized just how true it is and how important it is to actually think about your entire outfit, not just pieces of clothing. We spend a lot of time at our lake house and one particular trip down there this summer I had lots of clothes with me and was fine overall for being out on the boat or BBQing, but when heading out to dinner or shopping I really struggled. I had many things with me - great shorts and tops, but none that actually went together. I also took a couple of great summer dresses, but had the wrong sandals with me rather than the ones that matched. I was aggravated the whole week!

Learn from my mistake and take the time to plan outfits that work, you won't be sorry!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]geocruiser[/U]: You took the most useful suggestions from all 77 pages and condensed it in a couple important points! I wish that post could be at the top of each new page so we could see it every time:cool:.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Thank you too, for the compliment. Everyone who comes to this thread contributes to all we do to become better CCFs:).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]KeithsKelly[/U]: I can so-o-o relate to your lake house experiences! For some reason, we very honorable CCFs don't always take the time and effort to plan clothes at our "second homes". Proves that we're always learning:):cool:![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Real Simple magazine is one of my favorites (I subscribe to 20+...) and there is always a provocative question in "Your Words".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I'm adapting this month's to the area CCFs would be most interested in - cruisewear...luggage maybe?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] Where do you splurge and where do you save?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]My answer is: Splurge on make-up, shoes and under garments. Save on great items found in consignment shops, GoodWill.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Real Simple magazine is one of my favorites (I subscribe to 20+...) and there is always a provocative question in "Your Words".[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I'm adapting this month's to the area CCFs would be most interested in - cruisewear...luggage maybe?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Where do you splurge and where do you save?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]My answer is: Splurge on make-up, shoes and under garments. Save on great items found in consignment shops, GoodWill.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

Splurge on jewelry making items and save on clothes--only buy if it on sale or at a consignment shop.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]"QUESTION: Do you color your hair - yourself or by a professional - all over or just highlights?"

Ladies, I hadn't read this thread in awhile and am just now catching up. Just a quickie to say I love Indiana71's fashion shows. I had my hair color chosen by CJW a couple years ago now and make whoever colors it (salon or my daughter) use the #s he recommended and I never fail to get compliments on it. My own mother asked me a month ago if that was my natural color!

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

One thing I like to do is to have my husband take pictures of me in the clothing I plan to take. Then I can upload it, see myself the way others see me and make adjustments.

Before I did this I cannot tell you how many times I'd see a recent photo of myself and think "why did I leave the house looking that way?".

Of course, in my mind I am 20 lbs. lighter and years younger than I appear in photographs ;)

I tend to splurge on shoes (I have 250 pairs), purses (100+), evening wear, perfumes, my hair especially, plus nails and other beauty items/treatments. I don't splurge as much as I did in my early 30's but I still have a passion for Gucci, LV, Prada and Chanel etc. When it comes to shoes/purses and the beauty is with the luxury brands they don't tend to date so can last a lifetime.

I tend to save on more everyday type clothing that I just bum around in. I wear scrubs most days so like to dress up a bit more when not at work and especially on the cruises both on ship and in port. Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

[quote name='Happy ks']One thing I like to do is to have my husband take pictures of me in the clothing I plan to take. Then I can upload it, see myself the way others see me and make adjustments.

Before I did this I cannot tell you how many times I'd see a recent photo of myself and think "why did I leave the house looking that way?".

Of course, in my mind I am 20 lbs. lighter and years younger than I appear in photographs ;)[/quote]
That's a good idea...because aren't we all? ;)

bbapel, I am not sure about the line you are cruising with but I think most of the Carribean cruises seem to be alittle more casual even on the elegant nights. I usually bring one tea length fancy dress. Then one night of very dressy pants the flowing pants. I can't remeber the name of them. I feel the Carb. cruises are just a more relaxed feel. Just have a blast and don't worry too much. After a couple glasses of wine noone will care.LOL

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]DH & I have just finished a magnificent Saturday dinner - hors d's on the deck (roasted mini peppers w/ fresh Mozzarella, grilled Filets, Twice Baked Potatoes, Green beans and dessert from the best local bakery - Lemon Tartlet + Cream Puff (I couldn't decide which so we had both). It lasted 2 hours and reminded us of the relaxed pace of cruising:cool:. So after a couple glasses of wine...I'm checking in...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Happyks[/U]: DH took a photo of me (from the back) in Rehoboth. And you got it right: Is that how I look in that outfit:eek:?? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Having pictures is one of the best CCF tools. Not only does it help us remember a complete outfit, but we see ourselves from a different prospective.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]CELTICGIRLCRUISER[/U]: You get the prize for the most shoes and purses!! Yikes! Do you have them all organized?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I can appreciate your philosophy that luxury brands last a lifetime. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]luvscruising2007[/U]: I would love to see a photo of your closet. Non-CCFs wouldn't have a clue as to why we droll when seeing a totally organized closet...but it's a work of art and a most useful way of planning outfits![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]betty em[/U]: I colored my hair at home for years, using Excellence or Preference. The gray got to be too much and now a hair stylist has taken over. (I'm notorious for switching hair stylists...the latest has had only one appointment BUT I am going back next Friday...)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]My color has changed several times (w/ different stylists) but I'm hoping to stay with what I have now since the gray roots aren't very noticeable with the lighter color.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Your dinner tonight sounded wonderful. Crab legs and shrimp tonight for us as we took some friends out for an early dinner at ended up at Joe's so pretending we were in the Islands complete with cocktails to make it more authentic!!

Yes I do have everything organised when it comes to the shoes and purses. High end stuff all in original boxes/dust covers and everything else stored either in see through shoe boxes or a shoe rack, all organized by color. My purses have shelves all the way round the closet. Luckily I have a large walk in to myself, lovely husband gets a walk in in another guest room. I also have a smaller 'cruise" walk in and when he can't find me he shouts upstairs are you in the cruise room?

When we moved to America it was one of the things I was most excited about having a walk in closet, silly eh! Now even my clothes are color coordinated, all hangers facing the same way (all hangers are the same), and broken down into section whether it be trousers/dresses/dresses/skirts/casual/evening wear/scrubs/costumes(!). Oh dear me that sounds all so OCD!

Oh and I love hats too but don't get a lot of opportunity to wear them here, just a floppy one on the cruise/beach. Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

[quote name='CELTICGIRLCRUISER']Your dinner tonight sounded wonderful. Crab legs and shrimp tonight for us as we took some friends out for an early dinner at ended up at Joe's so pretending we were in the Islands complete with cocktails to make it more authentic!!

Yes I do have everything organised when it comes to the shoes and purses. High end stuff all in original boxes/dust covers and everything else stored either in see through shoe boxes or a shoe rack, all organized by color. My purses have shelves all the way round the closet. Luckily I have a large walk in to myself, lovely husband gets a walk in in another guest room. I also have a smaller 'cruise" walk in and when he can't find me he shouts upstairs are you in the cruise room?

When we moved to America it was one of the things I was most excited about having a walk in closet, silly eh! Now even my clothes are color coordinated, all hangers facing the same way (all hangers are the same), and broken down into section whether trousers/dresses/dresses/skirts/casual/evening wear/scrubs/costumes(!). Oh dear me that sounds all so OCD!

Oh and I love hats too but don't get a lot of opportunity to wear them here, just a floppy one on the cruise/beach.[/QUOTE]

A walk in closet is one of my dreams :-)

[quote name='CELTICGIRLCRUISER']I tend to splurge on shoes (I have 250 pairs), purses (100+), evening wear, perfumes, my hair especially, plus nails and other beauty items/treatments. I don't splurge as much as I did in my early 30's but I still have a passion for Gucci, LV, Prada and Chanel etc. When it comes to shoes/purses and the beauty is with the luxury brands they don't tend to date so can last a lifetime.

I tend to save on more everyday type clothing that I just bum around in. I wear scrubs most days so like to dress up a bit more when not at work and especially on the cruises both on ship and in port.[/QUOTE]
I am a Coach addict...shoes and bags -I also like dooney and burke, but I have no where as many as you!

[quote name='indiana71'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning [I]every[/I] detail of [I]every[/I] outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate??? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/quote]
I get ready for our cruises just as you do. Our guest room becomes my staging area. After I've assembled my dinner outfits, complete with accessories, I take a picture of each with my iPhone as a handy reference on the ship. Jewelry for each outfit is placed in little fabric bags that I save from Chicos, then all of the fabric bags are placed in a gallon size Ziplock bag. Tissue paper is wonderful for packing clothes. Have you tried using extra large ZipLock bags (I buy them at Target) for the items folded in tissue? Works great for slacks, shorts, shirts, tee's. Squeeze all the air out of the bag, zip them up and everything is beautiful when unpacked. I actually pack almost everything in those bags or the gallon size bags -- socks, shoes, and underwear. When unpacking, many of the plastic bags go directly from suitcase to drawers. Helps me keep things organized during the cruise.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][U]CELTICGIRLCRUISER[/U]: There's no such thing as a CCF being OCD...unless OCD stands for Organized Closets and Drawers!;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]One of my DSs is a contractor and he says throughout the building industry, walk-in closets are at the top of the "Most Wanted" list. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]You are envied for having one all to yourself, and also for having it so well-organized![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][U]BTraveling47[/U]: Other posters have mentioned using ZipLoc bags of various sizes and squeezing out the air for perfect unpacking. I use tissue paper and dry cleaning plastic bags and haven't had any wrinkle issues...but I'm open to any suggestions that make the process easier/faster.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Speaking of Packing: Here's another QUESTION: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Is there one outfit (or particular clothing item) that ALWAYS goes on a cruise? For example, I've taken my late mother's bangle bracelets every time.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='indiana71'] Is there one outfit (or particular clothing item) that ALWAYS goes on a cruise? For example, I've taken my late mother's bangle bracelets every time.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yes - got this a while ago - only wear it on 'cruises'! Hangs in closet covered in plastic awaiting next 'outing' :D:D
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUACKER-FACTORY-White-Knit-Embellished-Top-Long-Sleeve-T-Shirt-Beach-Scene-1X-/290765564040?pt=US_CSA_WC_Shirts_Tops&hash=item43b2fa6888[/url]

[quote name='CELTICGIRLCRUISER']I tend to splurge on shoes (I have 250 pairs), purses (100+), evening wear, perfumes, my hair especially, plus nails and other beauty items/treatments. I don't splurge as much as I did in my early 30's but I still have a passion for Gucci, LV, Prada and Chanel etc. When it comes to shoes/purses and the beauty is with the luxury brands they don't tend to date so can last a lifetime.

I tend to save on more everyday type clothing that I just bum around in. I wear scrubs most days so like to dress up a bit more when not at work and especially on the cruises both on ship and in port.[/quote]

We sound so much alike! I'm 30 and have always experimented with different beauty products but this year just recently started splurging on luxury beauty products, I have so many now its crazy. I have always had a love of shoes and handbags, and jackets/coats. I don't have as many as you, maybe 50 or 60 of each. My husband doesn't understand my love of these things! He has his own obsessions (four wheelers & snow mobiles).
I wear a uniform at work too, so when I go on a cruise I go all out and love to play with my outfits and style. I don't get the chance to dress formally at home (once a year at the company christmas party) so cruises are my way to be myself and let my true fashionista reign!! Haha :o