Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

dgh203: WELCOME!! How exciting to be cruising on Allure:cool::)! I'm envious!!!

Thank you for the kind words. This is a happy place because of all the CCFs who post suggestions and comments. Keep them coming!

I have a little height on you - 5' ONE inch! And RedHeadTexan could be the tallest CCF so far. And we pay homage to our alterations person who makes our clothes fit:).

jstcruizin: Shopping for cruise clothes is just one sympton of our cruising addiction;). The shopping thing can be justified by our dedication to finding end-of-season clearance sales and consignment shop finds...

QUESTION: Do you have clothes that are ONLY worn on cruises? OR - Do you pack for a cruise directly from your regular wardrobe? OR - Are you somewhere in between?

I occasionally wear "cruise clothes" for a special occasion in warm weather or when a cocktail dress is needed.

Thank you for the kind words. This is a happy place because of all the CCFs who post suggestions and comments. Keep them coming!

I have a little height on you - 5' ONE inch! And RedHeadTexan could be the tallest CCF so far. And we pay homage to our alterations person who makes our clothes fit:).

jstcruizin: Shopping for cruise clothes is just one sympton of our cruising addiction;). The shopping thing can be justified by our dedication to finding end-of-season clearance sales and consignment shop finds...

QUESTION: Do you have clothes that are ONLY worn on cruises? OR - Do you pack for a cruise directly from your regular wardrobe? OR - Are you somewhere in between?

I occasionally wear "cruise clothes" for a special occasion in warm weather or when a cocktail dress is needed.

As far as purchasing cruise clothes, I am in the "somewhere in between" category! Early to mid summer I purchased several new cruise dresses, but ended up enjoying wearing them all summer. With school starting three weeks ago I've made it a little personal challenge to see if I can make it all the way to my cruise without repeating any clothing except undergarments. As a part of this challenge I've even worn the new casual cruise dresses to school and the kiddos complement me on them almost daily!

Two weeks ago I purchased two new swim tankini tops (all tops have to coordinate with bottoms I already have and rotate. I had them all tucked away for the coming cruise but busted them out for our holiday weekend at the lake...I just couldn't stand it! Once this cruise is over the new swimwear will live at our lake place and get used all next summer!

I am also an inbetweener!

I have many gowns and cocktail dresses from previous functions that I can use but occasionally if something catches my eye I may indulge.

I do throughout the year buy things and think this will do for the next cruise; but of course living in such a warm climate most of the year, things do occasionally get an outing beforehand!:cool:

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Hello, ladies I am so excited about finding all your great ideas. This is our 4th cruise and I have decided I am going to get more dressed up everynight instead of just formal night. I am in the middle of dropping pounds. The problem is I am also 5"10 so it is hard to find clothing. My new trick is purchasing designer clothing reduced and then having tailored perfectly for my figure Lastest find was a new with tags ling silver gown $ 200.00 got it for $ 11.50 !! Now of course I'll have to pay for the tailor but it is still a deal!! I will send some pics when it's finished.

Edited by footballbabe3

Hello, ladies I am so excited about finding all your great ideas. This is our 4th cruise and I have decided I am going to get more dressed up everynight instead of just formal night. I am in the middle of dropping pounds. The problem is I am also 5"10 so it is hard to find clothing. My new trick is purchasing designer clothing reduced and then having tailored perfectly for my figure Lastest find was a new with tags ling silver gown $ 200.00 got it for $ 11.50 !! Now of course I'll have to pay for the tailor but it is still a deal!! I will send some pics when it's finished.

I am 5'11" so I completely understand how tricky it is to find dresses that are the right length. I have had really good luck with JS Collections cocktail and formal gowns running long. Nordstrom's carries them and they are 50-60% off right now. $11.50 is a DEAL! Wow! :D

Lisa

My DD and I went to Charming Charlie's today to pick up some last minute jewelry to complete our outfits before our cruise next week. What a great selection & the sales staff was very helpful. I had never heard of the store before I read this thread. Thanks for the tip.

footballbabe3: Welcome! You must have a great alterations person! Great idea:cool:.

Some stores (probably Nordstrom) should have warm weather clothes before you leave for your cruise. I've seen swimsuits in January.

Speaking of Nordstrom: My small town is far from that shopping Garden of Eden. When we go to Minneapolis, the Mall of America is on the way to DS's house - Yay!!

Charming Charlie's has a very usable way of displaying merchandise - by color. So you know what you need and go directly to that area.

Another QUESTION: Do you buy cosmetics from one source, i.e., department store; and do you stay with one brand? I go where the sales person has some knowledge of makeup and can help me make the right choice (I need all the help I can get!). In a department store, though, it's difficult to mix brands since sales people want to sell their product. How about Sephora? Anyone go there?

Indiana, I LOVE Sephora!! The staff there is so knowledgable and helpful, and makes the blending of different lines of makeup painless. I especially love being able to have some samples that I can take home to try before I buy them.

Earlier this summer DH and I went to visit our son (he lives near college year round right now) and didn't realize DD had borrowed my Bare Escentials foundation (we wear the same stuff) and forgot to put it back in my makeup bag. I had DH pull up in front of the local mall and ran in to Sephora and told them my dilema and they gave me a sample that would last at least a week to get me through! So helpful all the time!

The closest Nordstrom is 3 hours from me, so I purchase a bunch online from them. As far as makeup goes, I use three different brands:

1. Natural Beauty for foundation, concealer, powder, and blush

2. Almay for mascara, eye liner, and eye shadow

3. Loreal for lip gloss

Natural Beauty is the only brand I have tried that does a great job neutralizing the red splotches on my face. Unfortunately it's not carried locally anymore, so I have to order it online.

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan

I switch between Bare Essentials and Avon's Mineral makeup. I only use the powder kind and the same with the eyeshadow and then for lipstick I only use lipgloss or 24 karat tube lipstick by Avon.

I have had other brands of makeup and lipstick but as I get older the lipstick seems to settle in the lines around my mouth and the makeup settles around my eyes and makes me look 20 years older. That is why I like Bare essentials and the Avon products, they don't do this.

I am 61 years old so I don't need any help looking older!!!!!!!:eek:

Indiana, I feel your pain with shopping. In order to do some serious shopping I either have to drive 3 1/2 hours to Phoenix or 3 hour(depending on the traffic in California) to San Diego to shop. (Yuma is kinda in the middle of nowhere-- Oh yeah we are in the middle of the desert!!!!!):eek:

We have a mall here with some of the stores mentioned here but the are only small stores. They don't always have a great selection of anything.

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

I just finished reading about 80% and loved it. We are going on a 42 days cruise next April and already thinking about what to take. I will have to wear things more than once. I have several mix and match outfits and will get more. I will not take a large suite case so must be very careful. I picked three colors black, blue and tan. Will use statement jewelry to help make it seem like I have more outfits. I will only take maybe three shoes. We will spend four days in Singapora at the end of the trip so it really is 46 days. That will be the longest cruise we have been on. It ends up being a trip around the world. I am sooooo anxious. Thank you all for all the information.

Edited by goatlady1

I do wear some of my cruise clothes for other occasions once the cruise is over with the exception of some of my shirts or cover ups that have the different places we visited or my cruise bag that I carry on. We mostly sail Carnival so I have a lot of their logo stuff. As for Warm weather I live in Fl so its flip flops just about all year round for me, lol, but thats my other obsession

Slightly different for me being 'in the field" as another of my hats is a licensed Aesthetician/makeup artist.

I do not particularly like Sephora or Ulta but again this is the professional in me. I have no time for Avon or Mary Kay type products either.

We have nice Repechage products at the spa but, the only make up I really wear and have done for years is Chanel or maybe Christian Dior and some Guerlain products. They are just so refined especially the Chanel and when you feel the shadows/powders in between your fingers they are lovely compared to some of the cheaper brands which are grittier or more talc feeling.

I am a bit if a purist/snob when it comes beauty products and believe just a few wisely invested products can "do the job". I got this years ago from Mum who is in her early 60s and looks so much younger because she doesn't plaster it on and goes with a few well chosen items. It doesn't mean that you wear the same look for 50 years (some women do) but you get the gist.

Indiana71, some really great questions!

Speaking of makeup....I noticed on our last cruise (my 1st cruise) that in the professional pictures that were taken, my face was so shiny. It looked like I was in the middle of a major hot flash! I do not wear any foundation or powder. Should I for pictures?

Another QUESTION: Do you buy cosmetics from one source, i.e., department store; and do you stay with one brand? I go where the sales person has some knowledge of makeup and can help me make the right choice (I need all the help I can get!). In a department store, though, it's difficult to mix brands since sales people want to sell their product. How about Sephora? Anyone go there?

For foundations: For years only use bare essentials...but, just tried Physician’s Formula Mineral Face Powder (drugstore brand). Someone told me about it and since it is about half the price I thought I'd give it a shot. So far I really like it, but, have only been using a few weeks.

Creams (locally made), but, eye shadow, masceras and others misc. items I mix it up...all different brands.

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: Thank you for sharing your professional opinion:) - there are so-o-o many cosmetics brands and even more ads that more often than not, we're overwhelmed. ANY knowledge and suggestions are welcomed!

MakeUp for Photos: Since taking photos for CCF, I've noticed that more make-up seems to be needed - brighter lipstick, more blush and eye liner/mascara.

If you wear foundation that illuminates, maybe a little matte powder would reduce the shine...

I purchase my makeup from different lines. I like they way different items work for the different needs. Smashbox has 2 awesome lip glosses. One is a clear for over any color lip stick which is usually Urban Decay. Then it hasd an O gloss that becomes a differnt sheer pink for every women. I remeber my mom use to wear Merele Norman and she was always exquisite.

While out shopping today, I lingered in the cosmetics aisle (WalMart, CVS, grocery store) - at the lipsticks/glosses...then realized I have plenty:eek:.

So...a count revealed 7 tubes in the bathroom, 2 in my purse, 3 in the Cruise Room, and I'm almost certain there's only 1 at the cottage. That makes 13!! Most of which aren't even halfway done.

QUESTION(s): How many lipsticks/glosses do you own? How many to you USE regularly? Do you ever use one until it's completely gone?

Are you kidding me? I have a ton - I especially like the cover girl 'stay on' type (I can't remember the name) - a color tube of gloss then a clear balm to cover it - love the staying power - so I have SEVERAL - at leat 8 in my makeup drawer at home and 2 in my purse? Also have other glosses as well - not many actual lipsticks tho as I find those don't last more than 10 seconds! :)

P.S. Now I remember Cover Girl Outlast!

http://www.covergirl.com/outlast-allday-lipcolor

http://www.covergirl.com/outlastsmoothwear-allday-lipcolor

Edited by Froufie

Guest maddycat
QUESTION(s): How many lipsticks/glosses do you own? How many to you USE regularly? Do you ever use one until it's completely gone?

I only wear Clinque lipstick and I only use one color, bamboo pink. I have one in my purse which is almost finished. I have a replacement in the vanity.

A ton here too!! More then 60 opened and unopened lip gloss in Mini and regular size. Also have about 10 tubes of lipstick but don't wear them very often. (This is after getting rid of about 40 or so tubes of lip gloss last month that were outdated.):eek:

I do not hoard makeup, I do not hoard makeup, I do not hoard makeup. :eek:

Oh heck maybe just a little.:p I just about as many makeups(bare minerals) and blushers too.

I have never finished a tube of gloss yet because I usually loose them or toss them out because they are outdated before that.

I always keep a small bag in my purse with a set of the mini sizes of basic makeup. There is the large bag for the cruise room with a larger assortment of makeup and lip gloss. I always seem to use a lot more makeup on cruises.

And then I have my traveling makeup bag for our weekend trips. All others set in a small corner of my dresser top.

Thank goodness my hubby has no idea how much makeup I have!!:D

I just have a few but mainly glosses, in sheer or light colors with a couple of cheekier red ones. I also have just a couple of old faithful Chanel/Dior lipsticks.

I don't buy cheaper glosses as they all seem to be fruit flavored, like something a teen would wear, and all gloopy too.

One thing I advise though, with my pro hat on again if I may, is don't keep them for years. Makeup has a shelf life once opened.

It is a breeding ground for bacteria if it is kept too long and it does go "off". Keep your makeup bag clean and it is best to use disposable applicators where you can. Wash out "proper' brushes with gentle shampoo or light soap and rinse well, then air dry. Same with foundations, use disposable sponges where you can.