Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Hats..

This one goes with several of my outfits and is crushable with a wire edge! Got it in San Francisco!

[ATTACH]265792[/ATTACH]

Terry

I like this one on you alot! This one and the outfit with the hot pink top from another post - you look great in these bright tropical colors!!

Terry, I have a question about your hats. Do you wear any cap or scarf underneath it? I have yet to try my straw hat I have (not warm enough yet anyways) but am afraid it won't stay on with no hair or will be itchy. I'm curious to see what you do and may have to go buy some hats now. :)

Terryd444: Your outfits are completely Cruise Appropriate:cool:! Not at all costumey!

Many CCFs have clothes that are worn exclusively on cruises - outfits that would be out of place in our everyday mundane existence:rolleyes:. That's why we have Cruise Outfits:).

As far as posting photos are concerned - we're insatiable!! Pictures tell the entire story. Please keep posting!

I'd love to try a two piece swim suit, but I really feel I need one with a higher waist, not the classic bikini. Would that look too "matronly"? I have some really bad scarring on my belly - (surgeries, babies, etc). My bellybutton is not "right" either. Also, I'm no longer young. O: !

Does anybody know a good source? I checked Amazon - they were ok, but nothing very exciting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My current favorite source of swimwear is Lands End. They have several different styles of bottoms (bikini, brief, skirt, shorts...) and tops (bikini, tankini, bikini + tank) that mix and match very well. They also come in a huge range of sizes -- regular, petite, plus, and regular with large cup sizes.

Hats..

This one goes with several of my outfits and is crushable with a wire edge! Got it in San Francisco!

[ATTACH]265792[/ATTACH]

Terry

Terry I LOVE all your outfits!! Wow, you are going to look fabulous on your cruise!!

From someone who "has been there & done that" I used to wear my wig to keep warm (I had chemo thru winter)...and I've read so much on how inside the ship can be cold. You may want your wig...just to keep warm. Alhough, you look great anyway...wig, hat, bald! :)

Wishing you a fabulous cruise, you deserve it!

It's the end of March and Mother Nature hasn't given us even a hint of spring yet:eek:! My flannel-lined mom jeans (that never leave the house!) are getting worn out!

BUT - just in case the day comes that we can put on lighter clothes DH and I are joining a Fitness Club near our cottage. When we belonged to the YMCA, there was no noticeable change in our stamina, weight or flabby areas.

This time we don't have any lofty goals - all we want to do is maintain our good health and flexibility.

Moisturizers That Tan - I've read positive and negative reviews RE Jergens Moisturizer that gradually tans:cool:. Any CCF who has used it, please post your thoughts.

Before every cruise, it seems I think about giving my paleness a little bit of color...

Hi I just tried Jergens Self Tanning moisturizer last week. Used it twice a day for 3 days and really saw a difference at the end of the third day. Unfortunately the color was really orange. I went to a family BBQ and asked what the group thought -- got unanimous opinions that the color was too orange. So, into the trash with the rest of the tube.

Margee:rolleyes:

It's the end of March and Mother Nature hasn't given us even a hint of spring yet:eek:! My flannel-lined mom jeans (that never leave the house!) are getting worn out!

BUT - just in case the day comes that we can put on lighter clothes DH and I are joining a Fitness Club near our cottage. When we belonged to the YMCA, there was no noticeable change in our stamina, weight or flabby areas.

This time we don't have any lofty goals - all we want to do is maintain our good health and flexibility.

Moisturizers That Tan - I've read positive and negative reviews RE Jergens Moisturizer that gradually tans:cool:. Any CCF who has used it, please post your thoughts.

Before every cruise, it seems I think about giving my paleness a little bit of color...

I had very good results with the Jergens--it's called Natural Glow or something like that. I got the lighter shade (I am VERY fair-skinned) and I don't think it made me look orange at all. It worked very gradually so at any point if you didn't like the color you were starting to get, you could stop before it got too bad. I used the body moisturizer (not the facial version) for both my body and face, and put it on at night before I went to bed.

Which reminds me, I should start using it again. Since I moved to Florida I've gotten some nice color in my face--and flip-flop tan lines on my feet!--but I have other body parts that don't see the sun much in the winter, even in Florida, and I should try to get a little color on them before my next cruise. :)

BTW--watching Partridge Family (no judgement please!!) and they are on a cruise. (S.S. Fairsea). Makes me want to sail now--but I must wait until November.

No judgement here! At one time I was going to marry Keith Partridge.;)

I don't remember that episode. Found it online and going to watch it!:)

Edited by jkudzu

Hi I just tried Jergens Self Tanning moisturizer last week. Used it twice a day for 3 days and really saw a difference at the end of the third day. Unfortunately the color was really orange. I went to a family BBQ and asked what the group thought -- got unanimous opinions that the color was too orange. So, into the trash with the rest of the tube.

Margee:rolleyes:

Hi Margee.....it has to be be Jergens "Glow"....and only put it on once a day..not twice. BIG difference from products of yesterday that turned you orange.

Terry, Your outfits and attitude are marvelous! All of your looks work well and "floaty" looks so islandy and cruise-perfect! Another lover of that red hat......looks so classy!

Re: bald....once I saw a lady get a henna tattoo on her head and it was great fun. I forgot how long she said it would last but your good outlook reminded me of her.

Re: swimsuits.......Swimsuits for All has some blouson tops that come down longer so would work with your swimskirt. I think my favorites are Maxine brand.

Jergens Glow works well for me but sometimes I miss places around the ankle so have to watch that. Handy for not blinding folks with my white legs!

Just a quick note about Jergens....I to like that brand but read somewhere that the mousse was less smelly than the lotion. And it's true! So if you don't like the smell, try the mousse. Still a bit of an odor, but not bad at all.

Thanks for the feedback on Jergen's Natural Glow. My thought right now is to try it in early May. If it looks real, I'll do it again for the Next Cruise:cool:.

CrabbyQ: The anchor evening bag is adorable:). It's cruise appropriate without looking silly.

Speaking of looking silly - when I was an elementary school secretary, we office ladies dressed for every theme - sweaters for Valentines Day, St. Patrick's, Easter, etc. Earrings too...but it worked in that environment. The kids loved to stop in and check us out.

I packed for the cottage this morning...it took maybe half an hour to grab a couple pairs of jeans, some tops, workout attire, and an appropriate Easter outfit. If the weather is reasonable (anything above 45 degrees!), I'll stay for several days.

What a difference from Spreadsheets, Outfit Try Ons and little bags with Jewelry for Each Outfit:eek:!

The Process is quick and it works for the days of mostly staying indoors with a good book, magazines and television...but the Cruise Room is getting more enticing.

Dressing in well-thought-out outfits is one of life's joys and I'll probably try on all the clothes at least one more time before Serious Packing begins:cool:!

Yes, that's right...I'm forever ruined by this wonderful thread. :D

I used to shop for clothing by what I liked or what I needed. Now in addition, I'm thinking "What outfit can I create with this piece?" ;)

I found a pair of black capris today and found myself thinking about what top, shoes, jewelry, etc... I had to go with them. I'm a hopeless (wannabe) fashionista!

Yes, that's right...I'm forever ruined by this wonderful thread. :D

I used to shop for clothing by what I liked or what I needed. Now in addition, I'm thinking "What outfit can I create with this piece?" ;)

I found a pair of black capris today and found myself thinking about what top, shoes, jewelry, etc... I had to go with them. I'm a hopeless (wannabe) fashionista!

You're not ruined; you've been re-educated! ;) That's actually a more frugal way to shop, assuming you only buy items that already coordinate with pieces you already own. Less chance of something hanging in the back of the closet, unworn, because it doesn't match anything else.

Some people would laugh to hear all the steps involved in shopping...or more precisely - buying.:rolleyes: Tell them NOT to roll their eyes - it's a multi-step process!

I'm going "shopping" Thursday. Enter the mall...enter Macy's. Department stores are approached differently than, say, a small boutique or even Talbot's, Coldwater Creek, etc.

So many more potentially buyable items! So a list (written or memorized) is helpful...so as I head to the Petite department, I pass the jewelry...and stop to look. Maybe I'll return IF a newly purchased outfit needs embellishing.

Once in Petites, maybe a color or pattern, or Capris, or a dress will pull my attention. Try it on. IF it fits and makes me happy - how heavy is it? Even though flying isn't always how we get to the port, lightweight garments take up less room.

Next: does it wrinkle? Take a handful of fabric and squeeze. If it has lots of wrinkles, it goes back to the rack.

Last: How much wear will this item get? A cocktail dress obviously won't be worn as often as a pair of shorts or Capris, but will the dress be in style next year and the year after that?

I AM looking forward to shopping this week...maybe "Buying", too...but if there's nothing that grabs my attention, I have PLENTY of choices in the Cruise Room right now:cool:.

Indiana, you sound like me when I shop in a store like Macy's. and yes, I scrunch the material too to see if it wrinkles too much. And of course, the fit is uber- important besides the color. Trying not to buy items that are my usual but trying to be a little more adventurous!

I'm done with beige!! The color makes me look pale and sickly and it doesn't make me cheerful. At least not beige tops. There!! My rant is over. I'm realizing that the clothes that have gotten the most wear this winter (this LONG winter!) are bright...the sweaters on the bottom of the shelf are various shades of beige. And they don't get out much...Another reason to look forward to The Process of Choosing Cruise Outfits that make me smile when simply opening the closet door:cool:.

I think I mentioned several posts ago that DH & I joined a fitness club here at our summer cottage town. It isn't fancy but has equipment we like. Members don't dress in the latest workout attire, they (we) wear sweatpants, yoga pants, Tshirts.

As I look in the mirror while getting ready to go for a morning workout, a QUESTION occurs to me:

Is there makeup you wouldn't leave your home without? I don't shampoo and style my hair before an exercise session...but going out bare faced?? No way!

Moisturizer, foundation, blush, eyeliner and lipstick are my basics, and are applied in less than 3 minutes. On other going-out occasions, it takes about 10 minutes to do the whole face thing.

What about you?

Edited by indiana71

I hope this doesn't offend and it is just my opinion but I don't like to see women with lots of makeup on in the gym, especially a full face.

I just don't think you can do a serious workout and have sweat running off your face if you have too much makeup on. Looking beet red after training with makeup on is not a good look either.

I also notice when a lady is in the pool too with a full face and hair all done and swimming with a strained neck to keep it all out of the water, what's the point in that?

For me, at the gym, it would just be bare face with moisturizer and a something to keep my lips moist.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I'm done with beige!! The color makes me look pale and sickly and it doesn't make me cheerful. At least not beige tops. There!! My rant is over. I'm realizing that the clothes that have gotten the most wear this winter (this LONG winter!) are bright...the sweaters on the bottom of the shelf are various shades of beige. And they don't get out much...Another reason to look forward to The Process of Choosing Cruise Outfits that make me smile when simply opening the closet door:cool:.

I think I mentioned several posts ago that DH & I joined a fitness club here at our summer cottage town. It isn't fancy but has equipment we like. Members don't dress in the latest workout attire, they (we) wear sweatpants, yoga pants, Tshirts.

As I look in the mirror while getting ready to go for a morning workout, a QUESTION occurs to me:

Is there makeup you wouldn't leave your home without? I don't shampoo and style my hair before an exercise session...but going out bare faced?? No way!

Moisturizer, foundation, blush, eyeliner and lipstick are my basics, and are applied in less than 3 minutes. On other going-out occasions, it takes about 10 minutes to do the whole face thing.

What about you?

I've noticed that as I get 'older' I look a bit 'scarier' without any makeup on? :D I do wish I could get away with a bare face and yes I do leave the house without anything on once in a while (early morning sunday grocery shopping - and of course I run into everyone I don't want to see!:eek::p)...

At the very least I dab on some concealer (touche eclat) as I have dark circles under my eyes - possibly a bit of tinted moisturizer and lip gloss as a minimum....

As for me I go to the gym twice a week after work so yes I am wearing makeup - but it doesn't drip or run or anything like that (maybe I'm not working out hard enuf and/or sweating enuf? :D).....in fact when I get home and clean my face I notice that my makeup is still ON - I do use good stuff maybe that helps (e.g. Tarte amazonian clay foundation - that stuff never comes off till you decide to take it off).....so I know I look semi decent even at the gym! :)....(If I went to the gym on a saturday morning no I would not have anything on my face)....

Edited by Froufie

What about you?

Most of the time I just use moisturizer. A good part of the year I live in a warm climate. While in our winter home, by the beach in Florida, I wear makeup much less makeup than when we are back north.

By the way, I see that some of the stores were we live in Florida are showing bright colors this spring. I have some more time to buy before I go north and I love bright colors.

I am going to have to take some of my clothes home (north) this spring because I can't fit any ore in the closet!

I hope this doesn't offend and it is just my opinion but I don't like to see women with lots of makeup on in the gym, especially a full face.

I just don't think you can do a serious workout and have sweat running off your face if you have too much makeup on. Looking beet red after training with makeup on is not a good look either.

I also notice when a lady is in the pool too with a full face and hair all done and swimming with a strained neck to keep it all out of the water, what's the point in that?

For me, at the gym, it would just be bare face with moisturizer and a something to keep my lips moist.

I have to say that I'm with you on this CelticGirl. I have been a member of an all women's gym for 12 years now and try to get there 6 days a week. We are of all shapes, ages, colors, you name it (which I love) and most don't wear any makeup. There are a couple of older women who wear a full face of makeup and some who wear eyeliner and mascara. Me? I just go pale faced and don't even do moisturizer or makeup until I get home and have showered.

If anything, I would wear a bit of mascara.