What do you wear while cruising?

kittyness

My husband and I will be first time cruisers in May (on Carnival). I've scanned this board for the past few weeks and have found vast amounts of helpful information and I especially love the pictures provided for some real examples! Thank you so much.

With that said, I still have some questions about what to wear. I know the rules for elegant night and the common sense ones like no swimsuits in the MDR. Other than that, I have no idea what we should wear while on board. What do you wear? For ladies, do you wear shorts/capris, cute shirts, casual dresses? What kind of footwear do you wear? Do mean have to wear khaki shorts and polo shirts at all times? What about nice solid t-shirts for men (proper fit, ironed, muted colors, no loud designs, skulls, dragons, etc.)? Any help is appreciated!

If men had to wear khaki shorts and polo shirts at all times, Carnival would lose 95% of its clientele.

In all seriousness, you are going on the cruise line with the least restrictive dress code. Even "elegant night" is not exactly going to be "elegant." You will see things walk into the MDR that should not walk into a grocery store. Just dress as you normally do at home and have a good time :)

This is what we wore on our 1st cruise, which we just came back from. Ladies: long pants, capris or shorts, T-shirts, blouses or halter tops. (depending on your comfort zone for bareness, haha) Shoes: sandals or tennies. You will see all and everything in between. For dinners I popped on a sparkly top and bigger jewelry, something you would wear to dressy casual restaurant at home.

Guys: jeans, dockers, shorts, T-shirts, (yes you WILL see skulls and dragons), swim trunks, tennies, sandals and flip-flops. For dinner, nice pants or dress jeans and a polo or dress shirt. Same rules as above for dressy-casual restaurants at home.

Don't overpack!!! Next trip I will take exactly 1/2 of what I took the 1st time. Hope this helps and have a great cruise.

I wear shorts and t-shirt material tops....if I'm not in a bathing suit! Hubby's in shorts and tee....(no "message" tees, tho!!!)

At night, I wear capris, top and heels, or sundress, heels.....hubby wears dockers and golf shirt.

Of course, on formal nights, we're in tux/gown or suit/ cocktail dress....

There's no need to buy a "cruise wardrobe"...whatever you wear at home for they type of weather where you'll be cruising is fine.

On sea days DH is either in swim trunks with a matching tee shirt or shorts with a tee. His tee may or may not be a logo type (quicksilver or lucky, what ever costco had on special;) )Usually with flip flops on. If we decide to do breakfast or lunch in the MDR he'll wear a golf shirt with shorts & maybe tennis shoes. I'll wear my bathing suit with a sundress over it. I've got two strapless knit dresses from Jcrew that are great, pack small & don't wrinkle. That way I can walk anywhere on the ship & look dressed. I always wear my rainbow sandals during the days, even if we're going to the dining room. This has been or Celebrity & Holland, but I'm sure it'd work on Carnival. Have fun!

Kittyness, you have some good answers here. Something that also might be helpful is to youtube your cruise ship or other ships in the line and look for sailaway parties, formal nights, days in ports...this usually gives an idea what people are wearing. I am a newbie for a HAL cruise and I found it helpful to see what people were wearing...if they were dressier than the other mainstream lines...or not.

Have a great cruise....and yes...lay everything out and put 1/2 back...or a 1/3...or in my case...1/20 and then throw in more shoes!

coka

Archived