Decline in food quality on RCI fleet

CruizQueen

Well everybody has me scared. I have only taken a few cruises and two of them were as a child. Me and my wife are taking the Monarch of the Seas in March I hope we have better luck than most of your experiences. Does anyone know if the Monarch has any specialty restaurants? Even though it costs that might be worth it for at least one good meal.

I find that when people save, plan and wait for their vacations they tend to overlook things as to not make themselves feel as though they just wasted a year of planning, $$$ and their vacation time on something that wasn't what they expected. They tend to try and find the good and overlook the bad to make themselves feel better about their total investment in the vacation. Kind of fool themselves into beleiving things are better then they are.

Well, we don't really plan our vacations very far in advance and don't really have to save our money before we go, so I can't really relate to that. We planned our last cruise 4 months out, which is a long time for us, only because we were treating my ILs and they like to plan. They didn't have to spend a dime, but they also enjoyed the food.

But, in a way we are saying the same things. If they have had an overall pleasant experience, people tend to remember the good things more than the bad, which leads to increasingly higher and perhaps unrealistic expectations. So one could say that those who believe that food has declined to such a state that it is almost inedible, had already fooled themselves into believing it was that great to begin with. Especially when you consider you are paying less in real dollars for a cruise now than you did 25 years ago. I'd say that people who started cruising that long ago had more invested in their cruise, thus more likely to fool themselves than people who have started cruising more recently.

Well everybody has me scared. I have only taken a few cruises and two of them were as a child. Me and my wife are taking the Monarch of the Seas in March I hope we have better luck than most of your experiences. Does anyone know if the Monarch has any specialty restaurants? Even though it costs that might be worth it for at least one good meal.

Jade........ala carte I believe with hot rock grilling available and sushi.

But I would not worry about it too much. The food on the Monarch is just fine and you will in no way go hungry or have to spend additional money unless you just want to.

Seriously, dont let this "scare" you.........you will find PLENTY that you enjoy eating on the ship.

Don't start with that attitude before you even board! It's bound to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'd consider myself average -- that is, neither willing to eat frozen pizza and call it gourmet, nor turning my nose up at everything -- and I have enjoyed the vast majority of the food I've had on the ships. Most of the things that I haven't liked can be attributed to differences in personal taste rather than poor quality. I've never been served anything remotely as bad as some people make cruise food out to be.

I find that when people save, plan and wait for their vacations they tend to overlook things as to not make themselves feel as though they just wasted a year of planning, $$$ and their vacation time on something that wasn't what they expected. They tend to try and find the good and overlook the bad to make themselves feel better about their total investment in the vacation. Kind of fool themselves into beleiving things are better then they are.
I do agree that a lengthy wait time and a high price can raise people's expectations. Also people on boards like this one sometimes over-hype this or that aspect of a cruise, leading to vaulted expectations.

We do for sure, it's been going on for quite awhile. We actually tried NCL (Dawn) this past October b/c we were getting so fed-up with Royal and their food and service (service being most important to us) declining so severely. We are Diamond-Plus. We thought NCL's food was better, but not *that* much better, but many more options and choices. I'd still chose RCI over NCL though, for overall experience. Also, NCL is much more organized than RCI, from what we experienced. Good luck!

Recently on the NCL Jewel and almost everything I ate in the included restaurants or specialty restaurants was great.

Their Blue Lagoon 23 hour restaurant served 'bar' type food. The burgers, chicken wings and fries were so good. The MDR had every day items in case you didn't like the 5 or 6 entrees they offered and each one we tried (chicken, salmon & steak) was freshly made and delicious.

We only ate one lunch in the buffet but the choices caused us to go back and forth quite a few times to try different things. All of the different breads they make could be a meal by themselves. At lunch they made sandwiches with different fillings from their rolls and we even took a few back to our cabin to enjoy later that day. We were afraid they wouldn't be there again!

The chocolate buffet on the next to last night had some of the best desserts I ever ate.

The only place I had a slight complaint (this is my "almost")with the food was in Cagney's at lunchtime. This was an included perk because we were in a suite. Twice I had the sliders and twice they were overcooked and had stale rolls. I just ordered something else and it was delicious.

Cagney's at dinner (their steakhouse) was fabulous. I had a filet that I could have cut with my fork.

Before going on NCL I read many reviews and a lot of them complained about the food. Now that I have experienced NCL for myself I truly have no idea what the complaints were about or what kind of food these people eat on land.

If you are lucky enough to book a suite on NCL no other cruise line will give you the perks they do. But you will still have a great time and good food no matter where your cabin is located.

Good luck.

Hey Cincinnati Gal, just wanted to stop in a say hello. Nice to see a fellow Cincinnatian on Cruise Critic. My name is David and my wife is Liz, we are from Colerain Township.

Happy Cruising.

Dave

Hi there David...hope we can cruise with you both someday! We live in the Kenwood area. Going to New England and Canada in October. Then back to Caribbean somewhere and to Alaska again.

Cincinnatigal

Well, we don't really plan our vacations very far in advance and don't really have to save our money before we go, so I can't really relate to that. We planned our last cruise 4 months out, which is a long time for us, only because we were treating my ILs and they like to plan. They didn't have to spend a dime, but they also enjoyed the food.
And impressed we are.....
But, in a way we are saying the same things. If they have had an overall pleasant experience, people tend to remember the good things more than the bad, which leads to increasingly higher and perhaps unrealistic expectations. So one could say that those who believe that food has declined to such a state that it is almost inedible, had already fooled themselves into believing it was that great to begin with. Especially when you consider you are paying less in real dollars for a cruise now than you did 25 years ago. I'd say that people who started cruising that long ago had more invested in their cruise, thus more likely to fool themselves than people who have started cruising more recently.

I don't think we are saying the same thing...not even close.

Bottom line:

Myself and others have noticed a decline in food quality.

the fact that a cruise costs less today then years ago, does not change the fact that the food has declined (in my not so humble opinion). I am not commenting on value...heck I could go to Miami and stay at a motel and eat off Mc Donald’s dollar menu for less then $400 and claim to be getting good value. I am not arguing the price of the cruise, just the fact that the RCI is not serving the same quality of food they served in the past. At least to my taste buds.

I don't think the Monarch has specialty restaurants - unless you count the sushi at Jade. I found the food on the Monarch to be quite good. Some of us have cruised quite a lot with Royal and the food does get repetitive.

Huh?:confused: You quoted me and I was just saying I don't fit the profile you described. You're the one who said people only like the food because they planned and saved for a long time, thus fooling themselves into liking it. Again, putting down the people who are relatively pleased with the food onboard. I was just disagreeing with that assessment.

Huh?:confused: You quoted me and I was just saying I don't fit the profile you described. You're the one who said people only like the food because they planned and saved for a long time, thus fooling themselves into liking it. Again, putting down the people who are relatively pleased with the food onboard. I was just disagreeing with that assessment.

Got ya. But, I stand by what I and others have said. Our taste buds have noticed a decline in the food over the years.

Didn't someone post a quote from AG stating that due to the economy, RCI cutback on the food budget? Did I dream that? I remember reading this on CC after my FOS sailing.

:confused:

Got ya. But, I stand by what I and others have said. Our taste buds have noticed a decline in the food over the years.

Didn't someone post a quote from AG stating that due to the economy, RCI cutback on the food budget? Did I dream that? I remember reading this on CC after my FOS sailing.

:confused:

I have also agreed there has been some decline, but not the drastic, apocolyptic decline some would lead you to believe. I simply disagree with the insults that have been thrown around about the people who do like the food. I think it comes down personal preference and expectations.

Don't let some of these people fool you. The food on the ships is good to very good. It makes them feel better to be complaining about this. Remember people complain about winning millions in the lottery.:confused:

You don't have to cook it, don't have to serve it, & don't have to clean up. Starting to sound better all the time.

Food always will be subjective- I switched from RCI to X a few years ago- coming back to RCI from time to time. My last RCI cruise was 5 years ago- so I really can not comment on any decline. X- Food never left me dissapointed though! I sail on Brilliance in a few days- and will see!

Honestly for the cruise prices these day- nobody should expect " Gourmet - Food" ! That is just impossible. I always thought they are doing a great job in serving so many meals in the quality and with the service they offer! When dinner one is not to ones likeing- well is your cooking at home always the same- never a fail??? For the price a Gourmet Restaurant takes- well there you can expect perfection to its best.

Michael

We are taking our first cruise on RC in April and are Diamond members with Princess. I agree with all you have said in your post about Princess. An additional example is in their specialty steak restaurant we were encouraged by the waiter to order anything we wanted off of the menu. He even suggested that many get the lobster and a steak as surf and turf. There were no limitations and all you paid was the cover charge. I hope our family will not find the food on RC too much of a drop from Princess. And before you ask the only reason we took the RC cruise is the price could not be beat and the departure is within driving distance which takes away the extra cost of the flight.

How many cruises have you taken on Princess to obtain Diamond status?

They change their levels also?

I haven't yet sailed on RCI, but I know just as many people complain about the food on NCL, which we have never been disappointed with. I look at it this way, if I went out to Applebee's and got a small steak, added in a salad or appetizer, dessert and tip it would easily be $25 a person.

Frankly, I'm only paying just over a hundred a day for the entire cruise fare, so I think getting an equivalent restaurant value of $40-$50 a day in food alone is great!

Is Applebee's (or most cruise fare) gourmet? No. but is it a decent meal? I think so.

I don't think we are saying the same thing...not even close.

Bottom line:

Myself and others have noticed a decline in food quality.

the fact that a cruise costs less today then years ago, does not change the fact that the food has declined (in my not so humble opinion). I am not commenting on value...heck I could go to Miami and stay at a motel and eat off Mc Donald’s dollar menu for less then $400 and claim to be getting good value. I am not arguing the price of the cruise, just the fact that the RCI is not serving the same quality of food they served in the past. At least to my taste buds.

I agree with your assessment, and your taste buds, wholeheartedly.

I also agree with your theory as to why people seem to take it personally when ,those of us who definately are noticing, complain about the lack of food quality.

I'm not sure that those who do complain have ever claimed that it is the end of the world, when we get a bad meal in the MDR.:rolleyes: Now who is exaggerating.:p?

Fact is RCI and other lines can dumb down meals in the MDR because they know that many pax won't notice or don't care.

Food budgets are probably going to take another hit..unless lines reinstitute the fuel surcharge. So far they have managed to hold off but if oil prices continue to climb something is going to have to give. They'll just buy cheaper cuts of meat and add more fillers, like gelatin, to everything.:(

I think after several cruises, you learn what they prepare to your liking and what they do not. I usually know before I sit down each night what I'll be ordering. Some dishes I think they do a great job with (lamb shank for example) and others I don't really care for. I do not cruise RCI for the food so it isn't a big issue for me. And there is no chance of me starving to death!

Please do not let the opinions of some people on this thread affect your decision. I have had 3 cruises on the Monarch and have not had a bad meal. The food I've enjoyed has been about on par with mid-range mass market dining options on land.

I'd suggest going to the MDR on the first night and trying the food. If for whatever reason you don't like it, then you can certainly try Jade sushi or their hot rock cooking. If, like me, you find out that the complaints are seriously overblown, then you don't have to make your wallet lighter to enjoy a good meal. :D

I also agree with your theory as to why people seem to take it personally when ,those of us who definately are noticing, complain about the lack of food quality.

.:(

Uh.........no. There you go again ASSuming. No one took it personally that you gave your opinion on the food quality or lack thereof :rolleyes:

What part of no one wishes to sit back and let you call them sheeple because they DO like the food though are you having trouble comprehending here? :confused:

Fact is, you keep on putting down folks with your snide remarks that dont share your opinion by calling them cheerleaders and many here are calling you out on it. Why do you have to put down others to make yourself feel better about your opinion?

Good grief.

I really would love to see RCCL start to get their menu's improved and a little less emphasis on Indian food and more on continental cusine or have more ethic varieties that emphasis where the ships staff come from...there are so many countries represented on the ships. Why can't they consider offering more food from the countries we are visiting on our particular cruises. I do not need to have steak constantly but would love to have more shrimp, crab and scallop meals maybe...more stirfry options and more unique salads too! Really, I agree the desserts need major overhaul! Really RCCL please take some time to make improvements in these areas with your menu and food selection and I would be a betting woman here and say your repeat business from consumers will increase significantly!

CincinnatiGal:)

You might would like to try Princess for the seafood. They seemed to offer more seafood and few steaks through the week we were on. Not that I mind seafood, but I'm more of a meat and potato kind of guy.

I like the idea about getting more food from the countries being visited, but I hope they keep Indian cuisine at least long enough for our cruise next year.

Uh.........no. There you go again ASSuming. No one took it personally that you gave your opinion on the food quality or lack thereof :rolleyes:

What part of no one wishes to sit back and let you call them sheeple because they DO like the food though are you having trouble comprehending here? :confused:

Fact is, you keep on putting down folks with your snide remarks that dont share your opinion by calling them cheerleaders and many here are calling you out on it. Why do you have to put down others to make yourself feel better about your opinion?

Good grief.

Don't you know? They have sophisticated taste buds that require the finest of foods to satisfy. Generally this is done by applying an 'appropriate' price tag. You'll find more often than not that you could serve such an individual flank steak and as long as the price tag was 100$/head, they would rave about the flavor and texture.

I agree with your assessment, and your taste buds, wholeheartedly.

I'm not sure that those who do complain have ever claimed that it is the end of the world, when we get a bad meal in the MDR.:rolleyes: Now who is exaggerating.:p?

Fact is RCI and other lines can dumb down meals in the MDR because they know that many pax won't notice or don't care.

Food budgets are probably going to take another hit..unless lines reinstitute the fuel surcharge. So far they have managed to hold off but if oil prices continue to climb something is going to have to give. They'll just buy cheaper cuts of meat and add more fillers, like gelatin, to everything.:(

OK, I'll type slowly for you so you'll understand.

1. I have also noticed some decline.
  2. However, I still enjoy the food.
  3. This does not make me someone who will eat anything.
  4. Merely just someone with differing tastes than you.
  5. I appreciate everyone's opinions on the food.
  6. I do not appreciate the insults on the people who enjoy the food.

Comprenez-vous?

Archived