Turkish Visa

Zaman

Am sailing on Nautica in August '11 to the Black Sea. What's with the Turkish Visa requirements? Embassy says visas not necessary for cruise passengers. Anyone been on this one and what was your experience?;)

If you are flying into or out of Turkey a visa IS required for U.S. & Canadian Citizens (other nationalities check with the embassy)

Reported by others ...you can obtain a VISA when arriving from a flight at Istanbul airport.

If you are just going to Turkey for the day eg: Kusadasi no visa required

Am sailing on Nautica in August '11 to the Black Sea. What's with the Turkish Visa requirements? Embassy says visas not necessary for cruise passengers. Anyone been on this one and what was your experience?;)

You did not state what your nationality is - requirements (set by the Turkish government) vary. If any doubt, call Oceania direct.

You will receive an offer from Oceania (again, depending upon nationality) to process your Turkish visa for a charge. You can save yourself some trouble by obtaining these stamps in advance.....

The "problem" OP has is that he is leaving from Istanbul (not arriving to). It's easy to get a visa stamp on arrival for $20.

O may require Turkish visa (obtained by OP or O) before boarding the ship in this case as they may or may not be obtainable in port (Kusadasi) on arrival there.

Best to ask O about this policy and if required before boarding, OP has to decide which way to proceed - save money or time.

JMO

Thanks all for the info

As a Canadian citizen O is charging $99 USD and I am also looking for my travel companion who has a British passport which Oceania says they can't provide the Visa (only for US and CAN). The cruise starts in Athens and ends in Istanbul with about 4 stops in Turkey, Kusadasi being the first then heading into the Black Sea with stops in Bulgaria, Russia and the Ukraine. On Turkey's Canadian website it says that cruise passengers are exempt and don't require Visas even if they are going from the ship to the airport or staying one night before departure. I am trying to contact the embassy directly to get a definitive answer.

I was in Istanbul in September (albeit I flew in- did not come off a ship). Visas can be obtained right at the airport. I would check to see if you could get them at the cruise port as well as $99.00 is way over paying. We paid for the shortest visa (their was a 2 week on posted but we were told it was no longer available.) 45 Euros (about 58 CAD) for a 3 month visa. Unlimited entry/departure.

I am a Canadian Citizen.

Ps- Small tip. Bring some $CAD or $USD to switch to Turkish Lira when you get to Turkey. Don't do what I did and buy all Euros before I left (I was in Barcelona for a week prior) and then switch the Euros for Lira. You get dinged major as for some reason the exchange rate on the USD and CAD to Lira was way better % wise when compared to the value you would get for changing Euros for Lira.

Was in IST 4 days before cruise last year. Flew in. Went to the visa window. Used US passport. Paid 20$US cash. Husband used Cdn. passport. Paid 60$ US. No strain, no pain and very quick. Didn't need to collect passports at Kusadasi from the ship but have no explanation for this. The price for the visa from O is way too high:eek: but maybe for peace of mind it would do.:)

Was in IST 4 days before cruise last year. Flew in. Went to the visa window. Used US passport. Paid 20$US cash. Husband used Cdn. passport. Paid 60$ US.

Works if you are flying into Turkey

The OP is not flying into IST by the sounds of it

Was in IST 4 days before cruise last year. Flew in. Went to the visa window. Used US passport. Paid 20$US cash. Husband used Cdn. passport. Paid 60$ US. No strain, no pain and very quick.

As it has been pointed out - this works well ONLY for those who fly into Istanbul.

OP does not.

Kusadasi is their first Turkish port and Turkish authorities will probably board the ship to clear it. Whether they will check all passports individually or not, I do not know. Maybe they'll just take O's word that everyone has a visa (hence O's possible insistence on having a visa before boarding the ship). There is NO guarantee that you can get a visa in Kusadasi (although I have read that some people did).

If the Turkish embassy tells you that you do not need a visa in YOUR situation, get it in writing (nobody will take your word for it - neither Oceania not Turkish officials).

My advice to you is - just get it (one way or another). It's not worth worrying about (or missing Turkey altogether). Even at O's rate, it is a minute fraction of your total cost and is well worth the peace of mind.

If the Turkish embassy tells you that you do not need a visa in YOUR situation, get it in writing (nobody will take your word for it - neither Oceania not Turkish officials)

IMO, the above makes no sense. It is not a question of someone taking your word for it. That is not how it works.

From the Turkish embassy website:

For cruise passengers: Those cruise passengers coming to a Turkish port of call by a cruise ship and thereafter leave Turkey by the same cruise ship for another country, are exempt from visa for a maximum period of 72 hours (with the permission given by the local security authorities).

We will be on the Nautica, stopping in both Alanya and Kusadasi, thus for a total of less than 48 hours. No visa will be required (or obtained).

Bill

We will be on the Nautica, stopping in both Alanya and Kusadasi, thus for a total of less than 48 hours. No visa will be required (or obtained).

Bill

That is right not for just a port stop

Are you flying into Turkey ?

If yes then you need a VISA

IMO, the above makes no sense. It is not a question of someone taking your word for it. That is not how it works.

From the Turkish embassy website:

For cruise passengers: Those cruise passengers coming to a Turkish port of call by a cruise ship and thereafter leave Turkey by the same cruise ship for another country, are exempt from visa for a maximum period of 72 hours (with the permission given by the local security authorities).

Bill

Bill,

If those are your only visits to Turkey then that may be correct for you.

OP, OTOH, is flying home out of Istanbul (and has to go through Turkish passport control to get out of Turkey) - thus he is not leave(ing) Turkey by the same cruise ship for another country. Not to mention that OP WILL be in Turkey over 72 hours as they have multiple (4) stops in Turkey - thus the above criteria obviously do not apply to him/her.

Those officials at the airport might be wondering where his Turkish visa is (they don't know that he was on a cruise).

I would not want to be in the position of having to explain myself - I don't like confrontations of any kind with immigration officers in a foreign country.

LHT, that is funny.

Paul and LHT, I agree with you.

As a side remark, even letters (and treaties) do not always help. I was in Uzbekistan, traveling in a train which crossed a border river to the Turkmenistan side of the border for about 4 hours. Based on experience, I was concerned about what the Turkmens might do, so I carried a letter (in English, Russian and Uzbek) pointing out that I was an official visitor of the Uzbek Ministry of Education, and carried both Russian and Uzbek visas, either of which entitled me to 72 hour entry into Turkmenistan or any other member of the Commonwealth of Independent States (the Russian led confederation after 1991). Nevertheless, the police entered the train just before its return to Uzbek territory and demanded that I accompany them off the train because of lack of visa.

What happened over the next hour was worthy of a Three Stooges video. However, the point is that the police can always do whatever they want, irrespective of any laws or treaties. That is always a risk in third world countries. It really is not a risk, IMO, in Turkey, though

Bill

What happened over the next hour was worthy of a Three Stooges video. However, the point is that the police can always do whatever they want, irrespective of any laws or treaties.

Bill

Bill,

You peaked my interest. Do tell what happened. Did they demand money (a common practice in that part of the world)? Were you able to get back on the train?

We are considering a land trip to the "Stans".

Great insights from you all.

I talked to the Turkish Consulate today and was told that when our ship stops in various ports in Turkey for a day no Visa is required which jives with the documentation I read on their website. However once we end our cruise in Istanbul $20 USD will be required for a Visa as we disembark.

I have stopped in Kusadasi and Istanbul for a day in 2006 as part of a cruise and there was no mention of a Visa. In that case Princess had possession of our passports so I am not aware of immigration officials having inspected them. Regardless I had no Visa at that time.

I have stopped in Kusadasi and Istanbul for a day in 2006 as part of a cruise and there was no mention of a Visa. In that case Princess had possession of our passports so I am not aware of immigration officials having inspected them. Regardless I had no Visa at that time.

Did you disembark in Istanbul or continue on the ship to another port? That is where it becomes an issue. ;)

Did they say for sure you can get a Visa at the port in IST?

I would make sure Oceania does not require you to have the VISA before you board

Can you get the VISA here at the Consulate?

Lyn

I talked to the Turkish Consulate today and was told that when our ship stops in various ports in Turkey for a day no Visa is required which jives with the documentation I read on their website. However once we end our cruise in Istanbul $20 USD will be required for a Visa as we disembark.

Don't be surprised if it's 50 or 60 in US cash (that's what they charge at the airport) and be sure to have a blank page in your passport.

Calling the Turkish Consulate was a very wise move. I am always concerned when folks ask for guidance in this and other forums and are lead astray.

Again, to repeat, Turkey does not require any visa in ports where you are on a ship visiting for just one day.

They DO require visas if you ARRIVE in Turkey by air and are going to board a ship. That visa can be obtained in advance from your cruise line (but a surcharge will be added) It is a paste-in stamp for one page of your passport. Alternatively, they can easily be obtained at Istanbul's airport before you reach Passport Control. The cost to Americans is $20 per person and payment is made in U.S. Dollars. Canadians are charged $60 per person and they will accept U.S. Dollars. You will not be allowed to pass through Passport Control unless you have these stamps.

If you are arriving in Istanbul by ship and are disembarking only to get to the airport for your departure, no visa is required, providing you take the ship's transport to the airport. Otherwise, you will need to buy a visa stamp since you are asking for admittance to Turkey, and plan on staying for a night or two. I have never noticed, but others have said that these stamps can be purchased at the dock, otherwise, you'd be out of luck unless you purchased one in advance through your cruise line.

Hope all this Mumbo Jumbo helps......

If you are arriving in Istanbul by ship and are disembarking only to get to the airport for your departure, no visa is required, providing you take the ship's transport to the airport. Otherwise, you will need to buy a visa stamp since you are asking for admittance to Turkey,

I agree with everything you said but I do not understand the highlited statement.

Will the Oceania transport walk you through customs, thus verifying that you "just got off the ship"?

How would the customs/passport control officer know whether you arrived to the airport by ship's transport or by taxi (as they both drop you off at the curb)?

What am I missing here?

Archived