Dip on a Ship

Mad Capn Bob

Okay...this might need a bit of explaining in a minute, but first, a question:

Does anyone know the approx height from the sea to, say, deck 10 of the Spirit class ships?

Reason I ask is that I'm planning on taking my Davis Mk 3 sextant (newly acquired) with me (in October), and I'll need to correct for "dip", which is the height of the eye over the surface of the water. And deck 10 is pretty high.

And any remarks about "dip sticks" will get yer rum ration taken away for a month...

Does anyone know the approx height from the sea to, say, deck 10 of the Spirit class ships?

Reason I ask is that I'm planning on taking my Davis Mk 3 sextant (newly acquired) with me (in October), and I'll need to correct for "dip", which is the height of the eye over the surface of the water. And deck 10 is pretty high.

And any remarks about "dip sticks" will get yer rum ration taken away for a month...

Haven't a clue but if you want to remind me I will be on the Spirit in May and I will find out for you.

I would go towards 110 feet, but that's an estimate from the ship picture. Don't bother asking the crew, they couldn't get out on the bridge wing to take a sight, even if the sat nav went down and assuming they could find where the ships sextant is hidden, so what would they need to know what the height of eye is?

(My 1956 Plath sextant rests in well earned peace in the top of the closet)

You know that if you start a guest services and ask them if captain or a steward help you get the correct answer. But remember to have your sextant with you so they understand why you are asking.

I figured I'd bring a ball of string and measure it for him! I have lots of time to knot it every ten foot- I think that is a tried and true method. Or find an engineer who could help.Doesn't sound like the kind of thing the captain would know, although he wouldn't admit it and get the info for me.

OMG.

Now that I have a cruise scheduled I'm renewing my efforts to score a Mk 3 on eBay.

Regarding the height, it's closer to "kinda high" than "pretty high".

If you're a stickler for detail, then the best I guess I have is to compare the height in the picture in your post to the length and do the math given that the real thing is, I think, 292.5m loooong. ( http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/pride/)

Standing on the shore, you should be able to calculate the exact height using your sextant. In many ports, you should be able to see both the waterline and the deck you are interested in.

Use Google maps to pick a spot, and you can use the measuring tool to get an exact distance to the ship.

You can also take a picture of the ship while at port. On the ship, use a measuring tape to exactly measure some object visible in the picture. You can then calculate the exact height of any point on the ship.

You should be able to find pictures of the ship online. Take them with you, and do the calculations as soon as you board, so you'll have the information for the rest of the trip.

i think it's approximately 104.988' to deck 10... :D

i'm not kidding. hehe. here's my thinking...

spirit class ships are 963' long. i know they are approximately 53 meters high (that's why spirit can't go under the bridge in sydney - height limit is 50 meters). 53 meters is about 174' (from sea level).

i used the graphic in your signature to scale this by pixels, and found it to be satisfactory in establishing an average of feet per pixel, and settled at 2.019' per pixel:

db9df414.jpg

now, i picked a location on deck 10, at a bit below the black divider as my point of reference. then derived the following:

OVERALL LENGTH: 963’

PIXELS: 478

FEET PER PIXEL: 963’ / 478 = 2.015

HEIGHT: 53 METERS = 173.884’ (174’)

PIXELS: 86

FEET PER PIXEL: 174’ / 86 = 2.023

AVERAGE FT / PIXEL: 2.015 + 2.023 = 4.038 / 2 = 2.019’ PER PIXEL

FLOOR @ DECK 10: APPROXIMATELY 52 PIXELS

HEIGHT @ DECK 10: APPROXIMATELY 52 X 2.019 = 104.988’

so yeah, about 105'. hope that helps :)

I'll go along with this, I've got no idea what all of you are talking about I thought the Cap has his girlfriend along for a sextent explain please!!:)

The OP is seeking to find his/her location using the method all ships (l think) used before GPS.

ralph

Archived