Dip on a Ship

Mad Capn Bob

Back in my wild and crazy younger days when we would go camping we had the " Beertent" and the" sextent" and then the camper for passing out in.

I don't understand why you would need those things on a cruise though :)

Ah, the old Sextent. Paper-thin walls, that's the only issue there.

I think you're off. I believe it's about 200' to the top of the funnel.

Sounds like he was just about right. The Legend just barely fits under the Sunshine Skyway bridge which has a 175ft/53m clearance below it with about 3-5ft of clearance if that. There's no way a 200ft high ship is going under that - the roadbed peaks at 193ft.

Scupper me hide, all these replies! I might go with Falkcor's approx of 105'. As to those that are mystified what a Davis Mk 3 sextant is, well, any sextant...its simply a devise for measuring the angle of a celestial body, such as the Sun or a designated star, above the horizon. Making a few corrections, like for the aforementioned dip, index error, etc, and the consulting of a nautical almanac, you get your latitude.

So, a Davis Mk 3 doesn't go off *bang*. Unless you do something explosive with it.

For those what might be even more mystified as to why I should want to go thru the exercise in the first place, well...I have a significant interest in the history of buccaneering and Golden Age piracy, and that includes learning how celestial navigation works and how to do it. I've just ordered an "artificial horizon" to practice here "dryside", but I'd like to try it at sea, as well. After all, if Neddy Teach (Blackbeard) could do it, I should be able to.

Scupper me hide, all these replies! I might go with Falkcor's approx of 105'. As to those that are mystified what a Davis Mk 3 sextant is, well, any sextant...its simply a devise for measuring the angle of a celestial body, such as the Sun or a designated star, above the horizon. Making a few corrections, like for the aforementioned dip, index error, etc, and the consulting of a nautical almanac, you get your latitude.

So, a Davis Mk 3 doesn't go off *bang*. Unless you do something explosive with it.

For those what might be even more mystified as to why I should want to go thru the exercise in the first place, well...I have a significant interest in the history of buccaneering and Golden Age piracy, and that includes learning how celestial navigation works and how to do it. I've just ordered an "artificial horizon" to practice here "dryside", but I'd like to try it at sea, as well. After all, if Neddy Teach (Blackbeard) could do it, I should be able to.

Okay, you are my idol. I am a homeschooling mom and we just are finishing up a unit on ocean travel and exploration. I am totally going to need to buy a sextant before next Jan.

Does anyone know the approx height from the sea to, say, deck 10 of the Spirit class ships?

Here's my guess:

1) Each floor's average ceiling height is about 9' with cabin floor slightly lower, dining slightly higher. So that would be 90 feet. (Obviously if your guess is 10' go from there.)

2) Ship would be about 15 feet into the water.

Thus 75'. That's my SWAG.

I think you're off. I believe it's about 200' to the top of the funnel.

possible, but i don't think so...

the height of the ship is not as readily published as other vital stats, but this recent news article from carnival indicates the spirit's height at 53 meters:

http://carnival-news.com/2011/01/12/world%E2%80%99s-largest-cruise-line-to-base-ship-in-sydney-carnival-spirit-the-largest-cruise-ship-to-call-australia-home/

Rising nearly 53 metres above the waterline, Carnival Spirit is more than three metres taller than the specified clearance height for ships passing under the Bridge.

as i noted in my original post.

further, if you look at the nautical cities diagram of pride in my signature, it's very close to the 174' mark

now, that's from the waterline, which is what the op was looking for.

if you add the maximum draft of 26' to the 174' i derived as noted above, with max draft referenced from carnival:

http://carnivalpressroom.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/fact-sheet-carnival-spirit/

then, THAT would be exactly 174 + 26 = 200'. :)

Whist all these methods of guestemating/calculating are quite good, myself I'd take a laser "tape" measure lean offer the rail and point straight down. :)

that was my first thought, also, but then i got curious without means to do as much :D

Whist all these methods of guestemating/calculating are quite good, myself I'd take a laser "tape" measure lean offer the rail and point straight down. :)

Good answer Duck and you beat me to it.....I though lean over the rail....:p

How you been Duck???

Here's my guess:

1) Each floor's average ceiling height is about 9' with cabin floor slightly lower, dining slightly higher. So that would be 90 feet. (Obviously if your guess is 10' go from there.)

2) Ship would be about 15 feet into the water.

Thus 75'. That's my SWAG.

I think I read that the ceiling height is actually 7 ft- I remember being astonished because we have a nephew who will not be able to cruise- he would just barely fit!

Ye might try the Celestaire website (http://www.celestaire.com)...they have a variety of sextants, how to and history of navigation books, and a variety of other goodies that I can't afford without knocking over a treasure galleon.

Okay, you are my idol. I am a homeschooling mom and we just are finishing up a unit on ocean travel and exploration. I am totally going to need to buy a sextant before next Jan.

I think I read that the ceiling height is actually 7 ft- I remember being astonished because we have a nephew who will not be able to cruise- he would just barely fit!

The ceilings are not seven feet as I am relatively tall and I know they are taller than that. Now exactly what they are, I have no clue. The doors on the balcony appear pretty close to "house height" and that is 6"8" and they have some wall area above them.

The ceilings are not seven feet as I am relatively tall and I know they are taller than that. Now exactly what they are, I have no clue. The doors on the balcony appear pretty close to "house height" and that is 6"8" and they have some wall area above them.

I can't find anyplace that says but the numbers I do find are 7ft 3inches to "a very generous" 7ft 6 inches. These figures were not Carnival who has been reported to have confirmed 7 ft. At 7ft 3in that would give you 7 inches above the doors. So, pretty close anyway. Certainly not 9 ft, or even 8 ft.

And here I thought that I was the only human still alive that ever learned to do celestial navigation.

One simple and cheap way might be to fashion a simple measuring device using a protractor and a spirit level. Stand a known distance from the ship (if you can get a clean line of site to the ship) level the device, then measure the angle to the deck. Of course you'd need to know the distance from where you were standing to the water.........

Hmmm........OK, so not as easy as I thought.

OR.......bring a hand-held GPS, it should give you a pretty good altitude for the deck you are on and would also allow you to check your position calcualtions to see how good they are. :)

Archived