Dress to Impress - time to revive?

Denarius

Later this year, Oceana, will ,once again have the usual 3 dress codes for its winter cruies, unless of course P&O change their minds again.

Hopefully not, as we are on one of of those cruises.

Thats cos she is not in the Caribbean. Which of course means no ship to go through the canal as Ventura and Azura are too big.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Later this year, Oceana, will ,once again have the usual 3 dress codes for its winter cruies, unless of course P&O change their minds again.

Hopefully not, as we are on one of of those cruises.

The question is, will the APPLICATION onboard of those codes change, or will the current confusion still reign?

"Dress to impress" is as has been said too vague.

It is also a charter for peacocks.

A Gentleman does not "dress to impress". He dresses appropriately to fit into the environment. His clothing should not be noticed - he leaves that to his wife.

The idea of males "dressing to impress" is what leads to the coloured ties, white jackets with black shirts and all the other abominations that are, alas, all to common.

Just keep the dress code simple. And enforce it. If it is felt that a different code is appropriate for a different ship, then that is fine - enforce that code in the same way.

As long as it is clear to passengers, then there should be no problem. Quite frankly, the old P&O crowd are unlikely to want to sail on these new behemoths so a relaxed code is hardly an issue. On the other hand, Aurora and Oriana should keep a more refined atmosphere and maintain some of the old standards.

WD

From what I witnessed on Ventura in Dec, i.e the behaviour of some of the "old P&O crowd", I hope they steer well clear of the "behemoths" and let those of us that have embraced the 21st Century enjoy our holiday.

P.S 68YEAR OLD RETD. SALES MANAGER WITH A YOUTHFUL TAKE ON LIFE.

P.P.S

If " a more refined atmosphere" and "old standards" mean that I have to lower my standards and buy a cheap DJ(£49.99 IN M&S and polyester!!!) to wear once a year, I will stay with smart casual. My typical smart casual attire, expensive moccasins, wool/cashmere slacks and a dressy shirt with cufflinks, looked a damned sight better than many of the DJs and don't get me going on shoes and socks. SOME AWFUL EXAMPLES!!!!!!

Err, a behemoth is something enormously large and powerful?

I think so, Jean.

These new "monsters" are more like floating hotels than cruise ships which was ok for a landlubber like me(only 4 cruises).

I can see the attraction of the older, more traditional design i. e OV(was Arcadia) was our first cruise.

We did miss the deck layout at the rear i.e 12 down to 9, for a quieter spot on sea days, but the extra facilities and number of restaurants on board Ventura were a big plus.

From what I witnessed on Ventura in Dec, i.e the behaviour of some of the "old P&O crowd", I hope they steer well clear of the "behemoths" and let those of us that have embraced the 21st Century enjoy our holiday.

P.S 68YEAR OLD RETD. SALES MANAGER WITH A YOUTHFUL TAKE ON LIFE.

P.P.S

If " a more refined atmosphere" and "old standards" mean that I have to lower my standards and buy a cheap DJ(£49.99 IN M&S and polyester!!!) to wear once a year, I will stay with smart casual. My typical smart casual attire, expensive moccasins, wool/cashmere slacks and a dressy shirt with cufflinks, looked a damned sight better than many of the DJs and don't get me going on shoes and socks. SOME AWFUL EXAMPLES!!!!!!

I would only invest in a M&S dinner suit for a few occasions a year. I do however as far as possible have the correct coloured accessories with a neatly starched pocket square. I must admit I do not have patent leather shoes but make do with highly polished thin soled plain shoes, with black socks!.

Can't believe you've admitted that here. Dai wont be happy!;)

Gran Canaria:p

Not the best person to speak to about shoes. It is a sore subject.

And not the way you may think.

Gan canny

Dai

Just saw this on Twitter (Dai - thats a modern social networking tool, analogous to Telegrams from your day :D ) from P&O.

po-logo_normal.jpg @pandocruises P&O Cruises

Dress: Semi-formal - Choose a dress or smart evening separates for ladies, jacket and trousers for men – tie optional #cruisetoptips

Tie optional on semi-formal nights!! :eek::eek: :)

Just saw this on Twitter (Dai - thats a modern social networking tool, analogous to Telegrams from your day :D ) from P&O.

po-logo_normal.jpg @pandocruises P&O Cruises

Dress: Semi-formal - Choose a dress or smart evening separates for ladies, jacket and trousers for men – tie optional #cruisetoptips

Tie optional on semi-formal nights!! :eek::eek: :)

Indeed, the brochure shows the man wearing a casual jacket without tie. If I ever cruise on P&O with semi formal nights I will just invest in a linen jacket, and no tie :eek:

"Dress to impress" is one of those phrases that was invented to sound clever. The fact that it means almost nothing doesn't matter to marketers.

I've cruised with P&O for almost 20 years, and never owned a dinner jacket. And never once have I been made to feel uncomfortable about that, either by crew or passengers. So what's the big deal? It's just about whether to wear a jacket and tie. And the jacket can come off when you're sat down.

Indeed, the brochure shows the man wearing a casual jacket without tie. If I ever cruise on P&O with semi formal nights I will just invest in a linen jacket, and no tie :eek:

Thats fine, just a jacket linen or otherwise. On semi formal night.

"Dress to impress" is one of those phrases that was invented to sound clever. The fact that it means almost nothing doesn't matter to marketers.

I've cruised with P&O for almost 20 years, and never owned a dinner jacket. And never once have I been made to feel uncomfortable about that, either by crew or passengers. So what's the big deal? It's just about whether to wear a jacket and tie. And the jacket can come off when you're sat down.

? I've never seen a man in the main dining room without his jacket on a formal night!

Most are in black dinner suits, a sprinkling in lounge suits and tie.

This has been the case for at lest two year.

Come on keep up.

Gan canny.

Twitterless

Dai

Part of the problem on this thorney issue is, I suspect, that some people do not "keep up". Dress codes, like everything else, develop and change over the years. P&Os dress code is not immune to this, and whilst it tends to form the rearguard rather than the vanguard of change, change it does - eventually. Many regular cruisers seem not to be aware of this however, and this leads to confusion when some passengers dress within the present dress codes but wearing garments which would have been proscribed in an earlier era.

Archived