Royal Caribbean announces new ships - Will Carnival follow?

Tapi

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']I pay for the privilege of sailing on Fun Ships - something the Royal cheerleaders can only dream about - unless, of course, they actually purchase a cruise.

![/quote]
I have. You know, something you may only dream about. Have you ever even tried another cruiseline?

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']Now you are just babbling. The only constant is change.[/quote]
Babbling, LOL.
At least I am willing to branch out a little and try something new. I don't put down other cruise lines as well as those who go on them either.
Maybe you are a paid Carnival cheerleader

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']
It must being yet another boring day on the number 2 cruise board and another jail break to the Fun Side![/quote]

Well, considering CCL carries the 2nd highest amount of cruise passangers, I can only assume by "number 2 cruise board" you mean this one.

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']Well, considering CCL carries the 2nd highest amount of cruise passangers, I can only assume by "number 2 cruise board" you mean this one.[/quote]

Goodness no. that would make RCL's performance look even more abysmal.;)

Of course, I suppose you could look market by market. How many ships does RCL have in Alaska? :p

On a corporate basis

[B]2011 North American Cruise Market Share[/B]

[IMG]http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/2011-North-America-Cruise-Market-Share1.jpg[/IMG]

[B]2011 Rest-of-World Cruise Market Share[/B]

[IMG]http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/2011-World-Wide-Cruise-Market-Share1.jpg[/IMG]

Now [B]THAT [/B]is impressive!

Now S.S., surely, I would assume that a prolific cheerleader such as yourself would know the difference between Carnival Corp. and Carnival Cruise Line. Surely, I would have assumed someone like you would know that just over 50% (as shown in your chart) of cruise passengers cruise Carnival [B]Corp[/B] - - which means [SIZE=3][B][I]ALL[/I][/B][/SIZE] the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella. Surely, you would know that the 52% number does not pertain to Carnival [B]Cruise Line[/B].

Please put aside the blind cheerleader crap for a minute because this has absolutely nothing to do with bashing one line or praising another. It is a very simple fact RCI has more berths and carries more passengers than Carnival Cruise Line. That stat means nothing other than there is another cruise line out there, other than Carnival, that manages to fill their multiple ships to capacity week in and week out. That other line just manages to get a few more bookings.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']This explains why RCL is downsizing and CCL is still moving along. :D[/quote]

Not sure what that has to do with your incredibly naive/uneducated statement that

"Carnival can afford to build anything it wants"

Not they can't. Their are economic realities for all companies. Even the almighty Carnival.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']Eventually, they will have to. It may be working for now, but with other lines coming out with completely new innovations, CCL can't hang on the same old design forever. In time, demand will dictate something new from CCL.

More than half their ships aren't behemoths. Sovereign, Vision, and Radiance Class are small by today's standards.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Why would they have too. We love Carnival and think that what they are doing it great. We wouldn't want to cruise on one of RCCL's new ships. To big and who cares about half the silly things they have on it. Who needs a theme park on a ship.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']Now S.S., surely, I would assume that a prolific cheerleader such as yourself would know the difference between Carnival Corp. and Carnival Cruise Line. Surely, I would have assumed someone like you would know that just over 50% (as shown in your chart) of cruise passengers cruise Carnival [B]Corp[/B] - - which means [SIZE=3][B][I]ALL[/I][/B][/SIZE] the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella. Surely, you would know that the 52% number does not pertain to Carnival [B]Cruise Line[/B].

Please put aside the blind cheerleader crap for a minute because this has absolutely nothing to do with bashing one line or praising another. It is a very simple fact RCI has more berths and carries more passengers than Carnival Cruise Line. That stat means nothing other than there is another cruise line out there, other than Carnival, that manages to fill their multiple ships to capacity week in and week out. That other line just manages to get a few more bookings.[/quote]

And don't think that CCL isn't grateful that a lessor cruise line is available to catch the passenger overflow from CCL. :p

[quote name='BlueJacketsFan1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Why would they have too. We love Carnival and think that what they are doing it great. We wouldn't want to cruise on one of RCCL's new ships. To big and who cares about half the silly things they have on it. Who needs a theme park on a ship.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

Why does it have to be like RCI? :confused: All I said was that, in time, they will have to come out with something new. I would hope it's something new and unique to CCL. What's great now won't necessarily be great down the road. That's just common sense.

[quote name='Dr. Jack Daniels']Not sure what that has to do with your incredibly naive/uneducated statement that

"Carnival can afford to build anything it wants"

Not they can't. Their are economic realities for all companies. Even the almighty Carnival.:rolleyes:[/quote]

Obviously Carnival can't afford to build the Space Station. But they can certainly afford more than RCL. :p

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']Obviously Carnival can't afford to build the Space Station. But they can certainly afford more than RCL. :p[/quote]

You have an incredibly simple way of looking at things. Bigger does not mean better.

GM is bigger than Mercedes Benz. So according to your logic GM cars are better than Mercedes.

Personally, I'll take the Benz (even though they are not #1):cool:

i'm inclined to think that they'll build at least another 1-2 dream class ships.

conquest class has 5 ships, fantasy even more than that. the dream class will fulfill a market niche - big, but not too big, that would work in any number of ports / deployments. they've already invested in the design and development, and carnival tends to capitalize on that to maximize return on investment.

even in the case of the d&d for destiny, they just made minor tweaks for the 2 subsequent ships triumph and victory. then just stretched it a bit and tweaked further to yield conquest class - then splendor and dream.

in that same manner, i think carnival would be well served to 'tweak' the spirit class, or adopt and tweak further a derivative from costa, hal or cunard of the same basic hull. also, given their increasingly diverse market share in terms of more us, drive to ports, such a derivative could serve in such circumstances.

evolutions of fun or not, the fantasy class will have a fixed life span, and eventually these ships will need to be replaced in order to maintain consistency of product, such as in the holiday was retired / transferred along wit her predecessors. they will need an equally versatile replacement in order to serve these markets, and mega ships of even the size as dream are not the answer to that situation.

I don't know why people still pine away for a return the Spirit class. Yes, they are nice ships, but they will never make them again. Heck, doubt they will do business with that german builder as it seems CCL is chained to Fincateri.
Fact is that Spirit ships were very expensive. They are also very expensive to run. Compared to similar size ships, they guzzle fuel, which might not have been as important when they were made (oil was around $25 a barrell) but it sure as heck is now.
CCL will not build the ships you want, nor build the ships that are nicest; they will build the ships that are most profitable.So, they will build more Dream class ships, maybe add even more rooms to them (like the magic), make them very crowded ships. Does this make for a better cruise? Of course not. Does it increase profitability? Of course it does.

Archived