Vaccinations required?

cruisincdns

My DW and I are going on a 17-day Grand Panama Canal Cruise in May and we were wondering if there is a requirement for any vaccinations for this area? (Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica) We both have had our Twinrix shots (Hepatitis A & B). We just read that there is an outbreak of Dengue fever throughout Latin America. :eek:

Thanks.

Paul

We did that cruise last year. We also got our Twinrix shots and our doctor recommended quinine because of the areas we'd be in (Columbia, Costa Rica, and Panama) and that was probably a good idea because I did get bit by a mosquito while in the jungle in Costa Rica. All it takes is one rogue mosquito! You should check with your doctor for his recommendations. Everyone has different levels of comfort.

I'm also in a quandry about jabs. My doctor in UK advises Dipetheria, Typhoid, Tetanus and Hep. A, but she is not sure whether or not I should get jab for Yellow Fever and Malaria. Prefer not to have these, but am planning on doing the trip to the Emberra Village and maybe a rainforest - glad of any advice from others who have been. I know lots of people been on Panama cruises and they have never had jabs!

We're also on a Panama Canal cruise this May. After consulting our travel medicine clinc, we updated our vaccinations with Hep A, thphoid and yellow fever. You'll likely hear debate about yellow fever, but we decided better safe than sorry.

Consider consulting the CDC travel website. Just google CDC travel.

Have a great vacation!

Thanks for this. Personally I don't think Diptheria is necessary, and obviously you have not been advised to have it. Yellow Fever costs alot here, even for a consultation to see if it is required. Looking at some info, the last cases reported of Yellow Fever in Panama was in 1974. Gosh decisions - and all I wanted was a lovely relaxing holiday!!

We have done a Panama cruise twice before & never saw a bug

It is a personal choice whether to have a shot or take Malaria pills

None are required

A good bug spray will usually do the trick

Just enjoy the cruise

Yes done lots more reading on the subject, and to have the Yellow Fever jab after age 60 (which my DH and I are - just) then there can be complications. If anyone will be ill then I know DH will be, so think we will leave that alone. Taking spray and Deet wipes. Really looking forward to the whole cruise though.;)

That said, please do not rely on information posted on these boards, you really should consult your health care professional.

Precisely!

As for cost, ask yourself how much you value your health. Less than the cost of a vaccination or medication?

• 3 weeks later...

Prior to our cruise, I contacted my primary doctor at a large clinic, asking what I would require for vaccinations, and he essentially just responded with the information that was on the CDC webpage--Hep A and B (be sure to give yourself six months for this series if you don't already have them). He said that if you are staying in the Canal Zone--and I'm sure all the ship's excursions pretty much do--you would not need the yellow fever vaccination. If you do plan on going deeper into Panama, you may want the yellow fever vaccination.

Yes done lots more reading on the subject, and to have the Yellow Fever jab after age 60 (which my DH and I are - just) then there can be complications. If anyone will be ill then I know DH will be, so think we will leave that alone. Taking spray and Deet wipes. Really looking forward to the whole cruise though.;)

There can be complications with this at any age, up to and including death. I suppose the same can be said about any vaccination, but hearing a personal story of the death of a young 20-something from this vaccination can be really persuasive, so I'd be a bit cautious with this and only do it if you absolutely have to.

• 3 weeks later...

The CDC site warns of complications from getting the yellow fever shot. These complications increase dramatically over age 60. I just turned 62. It sounds like there is little likelyhood of contracting yellow fever while on a cruise through the canal zone. However, mesquitoes love me. So, I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. Here is a direct quote from CDC:

• Life-threatening severe illness with major organ system failure (approximately 1 reported per 200,000-300,000 doses, or 1 reported per 40,000-50,000 doses in people 60 years of age and older). More than half of the people who suffer these side effects die.

Up Date. We got the YF shot 3 days ago. The second night, we felt a little off, fine now with small redness on arm. It ended up costing us $280 for both of us (that included the yellow card). We decided that we didn't really need it for this trip, but the older you get, the more risk in the shot. So we got it now and will not have to worry later if we want to book somewhere where there is a problem. Also, we avoid the possibility that an outbreak will occur just before we sail and they deny us boarding on the ship. I know, the odds are against it, but could happen. We sail without cruise insurance.

Yep, I took a slew of vaccinations for our Panama Canal Cruise. I didn't see even ONE mosquito.

The one vaccine to consider - - THE FLU SHOT!

We get that every year. Last year we got both. That means that we've been "shot" for the H1N1 twice now, so we should be pretty good for it.

• 2 weeks later...

As with all things consult your physician as your specific medical history and conditions may have a bearing. There is also drug interactions to consider with Malaria pills.

There are no required injections. If you are a big traveler in general keep your tetanus shot up to day and in the months October to April (in the northern Hemisphere) a flu shot is in order.

- Jan (nurse)

• 1 month later...
My DW and I are going on a 17-day Grand Panama Canal Cruise in May and we were wondering if there is a requirement for any vaccinations for this area? (Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica) We both have had our Twinrix shots (Hepatitis A & B). We just read that there is an outbreak of Dengue fever throughout Latin America. :eek:

Thanks.

Paul

Yellow Fever was eradicated in Panama in 1905. There is no proplem with Malaria except if you go deep in the jungle. There is no shot for Dengue Fever.

Archived