Eurodam Lido VS Retreat Cabana with a child

flagger

My daughter and I are about to take our fourth dad and daughter trip on m/s Eurodam this coming Saturday. I have reserved a retreat cabana for us, but now I am having second thoughts looking intensely at the pictures. My daughter is seven and a strong swimmer, (summer swimteam, etc.), however I wonder about being so far away when she is swimming and not being able to possibly see her.

I have read some people prefer the solitude of the retreat and that the lido can get quite a bit of a bottleneck and people try to sit in your retreat and even help themselves to your fruit. I have also read it can get stuffy if the roof is closed. It also looks like I would prefer some of the extra benefits of the retreat.

I don't want to debate on the pros and cons of a cabana, because I have already made my decision, I just wanted to hear from those who have done either with children.

Thanks

My husband and I had a Retreat cabana on a cruise this past Thanksgiving (with no children) and it was the most relaxing experience. But as I would walk through the Lido pool area, I looked at those cabanas and came to the conclusion that if we still had young children, I would definetly have chosen a Lido cabana. Yes, it can be a bit stuffy, noisy, and humid when the roof is closed. And no, there is little privacy, even when the curtain is closed. But it will give you peace of mind, a guaranteed seat where your daughter can always find you, and a place where she can invite newly made friends to congregate, eat, and relax. Have a wonderful time.

Your title says Lido VS Retreat, but your text only seems to be talking just about the Lido cabanas. You definitely don't want a Retreat cabana IMO because those are two decks above the pool, and can see little if anything of the water.

We've never had a Lido cabana, but I understand that they aren't assigned until embarkation day. Explain to the clerk that you'd like as good a view of the water as possible. The most-aft cabana is about in the middle of the pool length, and they run forward to the corner of the area, from where I don't think you'd even be able to see the water. You might go up and scope-out the arrangement before you ask for your assignment.

If I were the parent I wouldn't care how strong a swimmer my child is, I would want to be nearby when she was in the pool. You never know when something will happen, and I would want to be there to pay attention.

I would try to exchange for a Lido pool.

A lido cabana, if you can switch to one, would be much better with a child. The retreat cabana area is away from everything else except being close to the Crow's Nest. A lido cabana will not only be in the pool area, but it will be close to food and closer to other kids who may be in the pool area.

I gasped when I read that you would be 2 decks away from your child in the pool. There are no lifeguards and as others have said, things happen, things that have nothing to do with how strong a swimmer she is. I'd highly recommend a Lido cabana - let me put it this way: I would consider it my responsibilty to monitor my child and I know I could not do that from the Retreat. I'm not flaming, just trying to help you consider all the ramifications.

I gasped when I read that you would be 2 decks away from your child in the pool. ... I'd highly recommend a Lido cabana.
If the pool roof is closed there will be no view of the pool. I even think that a couple of the Lido cabanas would not have enough view of the pool for my comfort in watching a child.

Even if you could see your daughter from the Retreat Cabana, it would take too long for you to get down to help her if she got in trouble. Don't count on others noticing that she needs help. They may not and it only takes a few seconds of inattention for a disaster to happen. As others have noted, there are no lifeguards at the pools.

I have been following this thread with interest since we will be traveling with a child. When I reserved a lido cabana I requested the one closest to the spa thinking it would be quieter. Now I am wondering if I can see the pool and kids from that location.

Marcia

Well no Lidos are available. Everyone has there own comfort level when it comes to parenting. Thanks for everyone's input!

There's comfort level and then there's gross negligence. Are you going to put your convenience and comfort over your daughter's safety?:eek:

Aside from her safety in the pool, there is the "stranger danger" factor to consider if you cannot see her at all times.

There are no lifeguards on duty at HAL pools and the safety of children is the responsibility of the parent or guardian. There is no one present at the pool except you who is charged with watching out for her. An accident can happen so quickly, quietly and unnoticed without careful observation.

Questions of personal comfort and enjoyment have to come second to the child's safety.

IMO.........

Not having a Lido cabana will not preclude your being able to spend time at the pool with your daughter. And having a Retreat cabana will give the both of you a wonderful place to return to read, talk, play cards or other games, etc. There were a couple of families who were using the Retreat cabanas when we had ours, and the children seemed to love it. Perhaps I am out of touch since our sons are 29 and 26, but I figure kids can only spend so much time at the pool. And if she does make some new friends, being able to invite them to the Private Retreat at the TOP of the ship should be alot of fun for her. Have a wonderful time.

There's comfort level and then there's gross negligence. Are you going to put your convenience and comfort over your daughter's safety?:eek:

Aside from her safety in the pool, there is the "stranger danger" factor to consider if you cannot see her at all times.

Well put! I feel sorry for children who have parents that don't embrace the difference and/or don't consider the stranger-danger. Unrealistic at best.

:confused: Renters are allowed to bring guests? :confused:

Not from everything I've read.

Question asked and question answered. Moot point as there are no lido cabanas available. As I already go through a life of "parenting while male", I stopped letting other comments on my parenting style influence my personal comfort level. As I said before thanks for your input.

Why not put yourself on the wait list for the lido one may come up..I have just spent a glorious week on the NA in the Cabana Club (retreat) you definately cannot see enough of the pool to watch a child, with the roof open let alone closed, and I had the family cabana which has a much wider field of vision. however I wonder about being so far away when she is swimming and not being able to possibly see her. ....I think your daughter will have fun in either one..she can bring a guest several did on my cruise...but would definately go with her while she is swimming. The pool is lovely so why not enjoy all of the ship.

Archived