Zuiderdam

anxioustoleave

We returned on Feb 1st from a 10 day cruise on the Zuiderdam - partial Panama Canal. This was our first experience on HAL and we had good experiences and some not so good.

The itinerary is wonderful - Half Moon Cay,Aruba, Curacao, P Canal, Costa Rica. We enjoyed each place. The food was very good. We had the As You Wish Dining. Good Entertainment, especially enjoyed Daryl at the piano bar in the evening. Our stateroom was spacious, the largest bathroom on any cruise we've taken so far.

Negatives? This ship desperately needs to be refurbished. Some deck chairs had cushions, some did not, some had a seat cushion but no back cushion. Our stateroom looked a little tired and needs some work.

What we noticed the most is that it's clear that, in these economic times, since they are probably not filling their ships they have cut back on crew. Never did we see much maintenance going on (painting etc) that really needed to be done and is usually visible on cruise ships. Windows needed washed, and we would have to sometimes stand up and wave our arm to get a drink out by the pool. This is so noticeable b/c they are normally all over and coming to ask you but not this time. Also, it was not unusual to go into the bathrooms in the afternoon and they would not be clean and the t. paper would be gone. So unusual on a cruise ship.

We had the As You Wish Dining and the first 2 nights it was so unorganized. More than half of the dining room tables were empty and they still couldn't seat us for about 45 minutes. After the first two nights that improved greatly. Couldn't understand that since they know in advance exactly how many people have opted for this kind of seating.

We thought perhaps crew and resources were diverted to the buffet since, for the first 3 days, they served you everything. After that it was self serve.

We might sail on HAL again, depending on itinerary and price, but never again on The Zuiderdam unless we knew it had been refurbished. Ours was not a bad experience just disappointing after sailing on Princess, Carnival, and Norwegian.

We had the As You Wish Dining and the first 2 nights it was so unorganized. More than half of the dining room tables were empty and they still couldn't seat us for about 45 minutes. After the first two nights that improved greatly. Couldn't understand that since they know in advance exactly how many people have opted for this kind of seating.

As You Wish Dining is the overall term given by HAL for the dining choices and can mean the traditional set dining times as well as open seating, snacks and in-room dining. FWIW I'm somewhat surprised as I've always done open dining and rarely have ever had to wait for more than a few minutes never mind 45 minutes.

We thought perhaps crew and resources were diverted to the buffet since, for the first 3 days, they served you everything. After that it was self serve.

They did explain why they do this at the buffet, didn't they? If not it's because of the norovirus precautions which I can see requiring extra staff to coordinate.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Zuiderdam experience.

I read that the Zuiderdam was just in drydock in March/April 2010. I also read somewhere (can't find it right now) that the next drydock is not going to be until 2013, which is after our cruise on her in 2012.:eek: I have also read a few reviews about leaks and buckets placed in the atrium area etc. which does not sound like anything I have ever seen before on a cruiseship:eek: I have also read reviews where people say that they didn't notice anything wrong - lol. We are VERY fussy, so I will keep reading the reviews and see what I can find out before we go.

Canuck

I am in the middle of a month where my daughter had a heart attack (she's going to be fine), my best friend passed away while I was up north trying to help my daughter, and on my return home, my son's dog had to be put down.

I am looking forward to my cruise in April so much, that I don't care if they have to put a bucket in my room for the leaks. The uphosltery can be a little tattered...I really don't care. I just want to get on the ship, forget all my worries and relax with good friends. Picky I don't think so..I'm looking forward to it as a sanity restoring event. I go on a cruise to enjoy life and friends not pick a ship apart. so bon voyage..April can't come soon enough.

DoughnutDolly - I am very sorry to hear about all those terrible things happening in your life and it sounds like a cruise is certainly in order for you.:)

But... I really don't understand when people say (I am just not referring to you but all others that say this...)that a few tattered chair cushions, broken sun loungers, worn/frayed carpets, buckets to hold leaks etc. don't bother them. If I stayed at a hotel like that - I would check out. I have been on over 45 cruises and have never seen hardly anything "out of place". I have never seen a worn carpet yet (I have seen a couple of stains here and there but pretty minor in the grand scheme of things) but I have never been on HAL yet. I keep reading over and over different reviews of different ships and it seems to me that HAL's maintenance is just not "up to par" compared to other cruiselines. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but yes, it would bother me, especially with the kind of money we are spending for our suite - I would expect everything to be in order. Our first HAL experience will be on the Oosterdam and then we will see how we feel if we want to keep our Zuiderdam booking. I guess to each their own.

Hope you have a nice relaxing cruise.:)

Canuck

I really don't understand when people say (I am just not referring to you but all others that say this...)that a few tattered chair cushions, broken sun loungers, worn/frayed carpets, buckets to hold leaks etc. don't bother them. If I stayed at a hotel like that - I would check out.

I would check out, too, and have. These sorts of things are usually just the tip of the iceberg of what is wrong with a ship.

I would check out, too, and have. These sorts of things are usually just the tip of the iceberg of what is wrong with a ship.

Oceans&Rivers - yes - I can't understand when people are writing reviews/comments and gloss over "oh the carpets were really worn and pieces out of them etc. but that didn't bother me or I hardly noticed it at all...." LOL - if not bothered - why mention it, I say? We pay a lot of money for our vacations and having old, ripped up furniture, worn down carpets, leaks, broken toilets etc. WOULD BOTHER ME - END OF STORY. My house doesn't look like that - so why should I pay money to stay in a place that is not "up to par" or "as described" in the cruise brochure?

The same goes for...."if I don't have to cook or clean, then that is great" when referring to the food when it is not quite up to the standards one expects. I will scream:eek: if I hear/read someone say that again! The people that say that (IMHO) don't usually cook "gourmet" meals and are not used to fine dining. Slam away....lol....but I think it is true. But that is anoher topic and food is sooo subjective.

Canuck

We returned on Feb 1st from a 10 day cruise on the Zuiderdam - partial Panama Canal. This was our first experience on HAL and we had good experiences and some not so good.

The itinerary is wonderful - Half Moon Cay,Aruba, Curacao, P Canal, Costa Rica. We enjoyed each place. The food was very good. We had the As You Wish Dining. Good Entertainment, especially enjoyed Daryl at the piano bar in the evening. Our stateroom was spacious, the largest bathroom on any cruise we've taken so far.

Negatives? This ship desperately needs to be refurbished. Some deck chairs had cushions, some did not, some had a seat cushion but no back cushion. Our stateroom looked a little tired and needs some work.

What we noticed the most is that it's clear that, in these economic times, since they are probably not filling their ships they have cut back on crew. Never did we see much maintenance going on (painting etc) that really needed to be done and is usually visible on cruise ships. Windows needed washed, and we would have to sometimes stand up and wave our arm to get a drink out by the pool. This is so noticeable b/c they are normally all over and coming to ask you but not this time. Also, it was not unusual to go into the bathrooms in the afternoon and they would not be clean and the t. paper would be gone. So unusual on a cruise ship.

We might sail on HAL again, depending on itinerary and price, but never again on The Zuiderdam unless we knew it had been refurbished. Ours was not a bad experience just disappointing after sailing on Princess, Carnival, and Norwegian.

Sorry you had some bad experiences on the Zuideram. We were on the same cruise and it was our best cruise ever. The staff was outstanding, food was great and our cabin was immaculate.

I'm not quite sure what you mean that some of the deck chairs were missing some cushions. The chairs in the aft pool area are the newer ones without cushions. The teak loungers on the upper deck had every cushion in place when we walked by at 7 AM every morning, and not one person was ever occupying them.

We observed a lot of painting while on board and off the ship including the Promenade deck and crew members painting the hull with long extension rollers soon after we were docked in Aruba and Curacao. We also some crew member varnishing the hand rails on the top deck in the mornings.

Speaking of the pool area, everytime we sat down there were bar personnel within 45 seconds asking if we'd like to order. We would go out often and sit with another couple we met and not one had to page a waiter.

It's very common that two people will be on the same cruise and experience exactly opposite impressions. The couple we had met in the Netune Lounge the first day, said they normally sail with Princess. I received an email from them a few days ago, and they booked a cruise on the Noordam, as they also enjoyed one of their best cruises.

I am in the middle of a month where my daughter had a heart attack (she's going to be fine), my best friend passed away while I was up north trying to help my daughter, and on my return home, my son's dog had to be put down.

I am looking forward to my cruise in April so much, that I don't care if they have to put a bucket in my room for the leaks. The uphosltery can be a little tattered...I really don't care. I just want to get on the ship, forget all my worries and relax with good friends. Picky I don't think so..I'm looking forward to it as a sanity restoring event. I go on a cruise to enjoy life and friends not pick a ship apart. so bon voyage..April can't come soon enough.

I'm with you on your feelings!! I will be on Zuiderdam for 2 weeks in September and cannot wait to be on her!!

We've had things happen here also, NOTHING as bad as you have gone through, I am so sorry fpor you. But I do understand what you are saying and understand and agree 100%!!!

Joanie

Sorry you had some bad experiences on the Zuideram. We were on the same cruise and it was our best cruise ever. The staff was outstanding, food was great and our cabin was immaculate.

I'm not quite sure what you mean that some of the deck chairs were missing some cushions. The chairs in the aft pool area are the newer ones without cushions. The teak loungers on the upper deck had every cushion in place when we walked by at 7 AM every morning, and not one person was ever occupying them.

We observed a lot of painting while on board and off the ship including the Promenade deck and crew members painting the hull with long extension rollers soon after we were docked in Aruba and Curacao. We also some crew member varnishing the hand rails on the top deck in the mornings.

Speaking of the pool area, everytime we sat down there were bar personnel within 45 seconds asking if we'd like to order. We would go out often and sit with another couple we met and not one had to page a waiter.

It's very common that two people will be on the same cruise and experience exactly opposite impressions. The couple we had met in the Netune Lounge the first day, said they normally sail with Princess. I received an email from them a few days ago, and they booked a cruise on the Noordam, as they also enjoyed one of their best cruises.

Thank you for balancing out the other poster!! Everyone sees things differently and unfortunately, they tend to only remember the bad. You have helped to point things back in the right direction:)

Joanie

Sorry you had some bad experiences on the Zuideram. The staff was outstanding, food was great and our cabin was immaculate.

It's very common that two people will be on the same cruise and experience exactly opposite impressions.

I agree wholeheartedly! We've been on Zuiderdam twice in the past nine months. I saw nothing negative on the whole ship. I saw men working on rust removal (standard stuff) and re-painting all the white areas. There is always someone cleaning the brass and glass. Saw NO buckets in the atrium or anywhere else.

The food was terrific, the shows excellent, the service, crew, accommodations, all were outstanding.

I regret that we have sailed her both to Alaska and The Canal and, therefore, may not be able to cruise on her again anytime soon as we wish to travel other places. BUT I would sail her again tomorrow with no hestation what-so-ever.

So, those of you booked should pack up and get ready to have a GREAT cruise and not worry. Of the 1900 passengers on the ship, 1% (about 19) are CC members and 2 or 3 didn't like their cruise.:)

I agree wholeheartedly! We've been on Zuiderdam twice in the past nine months. I saw nothing negative on the whole ship. I saw men working on rust removal (standard stuff) and re-painting all the white areas. There is always someone cleaning the brass and glass. Saw NO buckets in the atrium or anywhere else.

The food was terrific, the shows excellent, the service, crew, accommodations, all were outstanding.

I regret that we have sailed her both to Alaska and The Canal and, therefore, may not be able to cruise on her again anytime soon as we wish to travel other places. BUT I would sail her again tomorrow with no hestation what-so-ever.

So, those of you booked should pack up and get ready to have a GREAT cruise and not worry. Of the 1900 passengers on the ship, 1% (about 19) are CC members and 2 or 3 didn't like their cruise.:)

And those 2 or 3 are in the minority:) THANK GOODNESS!!!

Joanie

I read that the Zuiderdam was just in drydock in March/April 2010. I also read somewhere (can't find it right now) that the next drydock is not going to be until 2013, which is after our cruise on her in 2012.:eek: I have also read a few reviews about leaks and buckets placed in the atrium area etc. which does not sound like anything I have ever seen before on a cruiseship:eek: I have also read reviews where people say that they didn't notice anything wrong - lol. We are VERY fussy, so I will keep reading the reviews and see what I can find out before we go.

Canuck

Hey Canuck,

from another Canadian - we were on her before she went into dry dock. I AM a gourmet cook and the food was quite good IMO. :) ok, I did notice that the couch had a thread sticking out - on the fourth day, when I was moving my hand along the couch admiring the design.

I don't think the ship could have changed that much in this short a period of time (at least I hope not). we had a great cruise. Our friends that we took with us thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, they do have the different chairs, it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

We had a great time. Great itinerary, great ship and loved it all. JMO though (and I can be harsh). enjoy your cruise and don't let one bad review sour you. remember, it's all subjective. :)

and, to the op, sorry you didn't enjoy it.. you'll probably be happier on Crystal or Seabourn. I'm about to go on HAL's oldest ship and can't wait.:D

I probably read every Zuiderdam post and review in the nine months I waited for our partial panama 10 days which finally began on 1-22-11, so I was thinking the sail would not be A+. But we had a great SA suite which was flawlessly clean and well maintained. I looked at carpets and furnishing in public areas too but couldn't see anything threadbare or stained. Also took the behind the scenes tour and was impressed with the cleanliness and lack of clutter. I know the Z is nine years old and I was ready for some rust spots, but I didn't find any. We travelled with two other couples who had some gripes, but not about the maintence of the ship.

Hey Canuck,

from another Canadian - we were on her before she went into dry dock. I AM a gourmet cook and the food was quite good IMO. :) ok, I did notice that the couch had a thread sticking out - on the fourth day, when I was moving my hand along the couch admiring the design.

I don't think the ship could have changed that much in this short a period of time (at least I hope not). we had a great cruise. Our friends that we took with us thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, they do have the different chairs, it doesn't mean anything is wrong.

We had a great time. Great itinerary, great ship and loved it all. JMO though (and I can be harsh). enjoy your cruise and don't let one bad review sour you. remember, it's all subjective. :)

and, to the op, sorry you didn't enjoy it.. you'll probably be happier on Crystal or Seabourn. I'm about to go on HAL's oldest ship and can't wait.:D

Kazu (I call you "Tim Horton Lady" as you talked about Tim Horton donuts once to me....lol) - If it were only one review - I wouldn't even give it a second thought - but unfortunately, I have read many reviews where people feel that the ship should be refurbished and that is AFTER it has been refurbished!:eek: We had friends that went on her in June and thought it looked very "run down". Of course, I don't know firsthand, as I haven't been on her yet - I am just hoping that the people that did the reviews are either REALLY REALLY picky or completely exaggerating.

When I was talking about "gourmet" cooks - I honestly wasn't directing that at HAL cruises in particular - our most recent experience has been RCCL food which, in our opinion, is downright awful and many RCCL passengers claim it is wonderful (of course, it is different ship to ship on their line). That is why we are trying HAL - I heard the food was wonderful and we are dying for some decent cruisefood!:D

To the OP - thanks for the review - I appreciate your opinion as not every cruise is wonderful, in our experience, and I hope you have a better cruise next time.

Canuck

And those 2 or 3 are in the minority:) THANK GOODNESS!!!

Joanie

I love HAL, but I get so tired of the rah-rah-rah brigade rushing in whenever someone writes something critical. I like to read everyone's reviews whether good or bad. Let's be realistic - I've gone on many HAL cruises and recognise that there is sometimes room for improvement. I am mostly interested in the Zuiderdam right now because of my booked cruise and I have never been on her so I want to hear every opinion on her condition. There have been quite a few negative reviews in the past 6 months or so, which is concerning.

Again, does anyone know when she is going for a refurb?

I love HAL, but I get so tired of the rah-rah-rah brigade rushing in whenever someone writes something critical. I like to read everyone's reviews whether good or bad. Let's be realistic - I've gone on many HAL cruises and recognise that there is sometimes room for improvement. I am mostly interested in the Zuiderdam right now because of my booked cruise and I have never been on her so I want to hear every opinion on her condition. There have been quite a few negative reviews in the past 6 months or so, which is concerning.

Again, does anyone know when she is going for a refurb?

Startwin - I agree!:) I like to hear the good and the bad.

I guess you didn't see my post earlier that I read on here somewhere (but can't find where I read it but I did make a note of it) that the Zuiderdam is not going into drydock again (as she was just in drydock in March/April 2010 when they added Canneletto etc.) until 2013, which is after our cruise on her - so I did make a note of that as I was disappointed and wanted the drydock before our cruise based on the unfavourable reviews I had read.

Canuck

Startwin - I agree!:) I like to hear the good and the bad.

I guess you didn't see my post earlier that I read on here somewhere (but can't find where I read it but I did make a note of it) that the Zuiderdam is not going into drydock again (as she was just in drydock in March/April 2010 when they added Canneletto etc.) until 2013, which is after our cruise on her - so I did make a note of that as I was disappointed and wanted the drydock before our cruise based on the unfavourable reviews I had read.

Canuck

I found your posting right after I hit "submit":o and thank you for that information. Oh dear. We are booked for April, 2012 for 22 nights, so I want perfection, of course:rolleyes:

There have been quite a few negative reviews in the past 6 months or so, which is concerning.

OK but fair is fair ... there have also been quite few POSITIVE reviews in the past 6 months or so. And we'll love to hear yours when you get back ... good or bad. But why would anyone give more weight to a negative review than a positive one?

OK but fair is fair ... there have also been quite few POSITIVE reviews in the past 6 months or so. And we'll love to hear yours when you get back ... good or bad. But why would anyone give more weight to a negative review than a positive one?

Never said I gave more credence to the negative reviews - if I did I would have cancelled my booking by now. I'm just willing to consider all sides. Yes there have been some positive reviews, thankfully. However, this particular board is bad for shooting down people who dare to state a negative opinion. I like to hear it all and make up my own mind.

Kazu (I call you "Tim Horton Lady" as you talked about Tim Horton donuts once to me....lol) - If it were only one review - I wouldn't even give it a second thought - but unfortunately, I have read many reviews where people feel that the ship should be refurbished and that is AFTER it has been refurbished!:eek: We had friends that went on her in June and thought it looked very "run down". Of course, I don't know firsthand, as I haven't been on her yet - I am just hoping that the people that did the reviews are either REALLY REALLY picky or completely exaggerating.

When I was talking about "gourmet" cooks - I honestly wasn't directing that at HAL cruises in particular - our most recent experience has been RCCL food which, in our opinion, is downright awful and many RCCL passengers claim it is wonderful (of course, it is different ship to ship on their line). That is why we are trying HAL - I heard the food was wonderful and we are dying for some decent cruisefood!:D

To the OP - thanks for the review - I appreciate your opinion as not every cruise is wonderful, in our experience, and I hope you have a better cruise next time.

Canuck

Hey Canuck, one thing I can tell you for sure is that my friends who took RCCL (they have no allegiance to any line) will NEVER sail on them again. They lost weight on their cruise the food was so awful. HAL's food is the best in their opinion. They have cruised a lot and on all the lines (not luxury lines, though). Zuidie food was great when we were on her.

hopefully you will enjoy your cruise. I do find that some people can be very picky on cruises. you can't go on a 4.5* or 5* line and expect 6* food and service (even though some people do). It'll be interesting to hear about your experience when you get back and what you thought. One thing we all have to keep in mind - reviews are subjective. Opinions vary (as we have seen on this thread) by people on the same cruise even.

We truly enjoyed our cruise on her. :)

We'll be on the Zuiderdam for the repositioning cruise at the end of April, and expect everything will be fine as far as we are concerned. Having read the recent reviews, good and bad, nothing seems out-of-the-ordinary for the typical review of almost any ship on any line. After reading so many reviews here at CC, I've learned that just about everyone sees and experiences things differently, even those on the same cruise at the same time. Much of the time, it is a matter of individual taste. Sometimes, it is a reflection of personal attitude.

Hello from Canada

My sisters and I are booked on April 12. We have several cruises under our hats so we can easily compare. I cruise because I love being pampered. No food to prepare, no dishes to do no beds to make just a great time to enjoy the ship, the ports, the sun, the atmosphere and the people. What we see depends mainly on what we look for. As far as the food is concern, good food is expected great food is a bonus. I shudder at the fact that these reviews are so controversial. I take everything with a grain of salt and hope that our cruise will be great. I will adjust my attitude and think positive. Our Canal cruise will be fantastic and we are going to have a wonderful time. In the words of Lao Tzu What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly. I plan to enjoy my cruise and not look at the little things that may not be perfect.

Archived