Confused about Norwegian Sun ...

TrinaLC

Looking at a possible cruise on the Sun.

The ship looks very similar to the Dawn, which I've sailed a number of times, but the cabins seem to have a completely different system - for example, the front/bow penthouses on Dawn and a number of the other ships are all ACs, whereas on the Deck plan @ NCL site for the Sun, it refers to these as being SG cabins. In fact, none of the familiar nomenclature is there (AA, AB, etc).

Am I missing something? What is the story with the Sun v other NCL ships? (Even the decks are called Viking, Fjord, etc?!).

Looking at a possible cruise on the Sun.

The ship looks very similar to the Dawn, which I've sailed a number of times, but the cabins seem to have a completely different system - for example, the front/bow penthouses on Dawn and a number of the other ships are all ACs, whereas on the Deck plan @ NCL site for the Sun, it refers to these as being SG cabins. In fact, none of the familiar nomenclature is there (AA, AB, etc).

Am I missing something? What is the story with the Sun v other NCL ships? (Even the decks are called Viking, Fjord, etc?!).

The Sun is the sister ship of the NCL SKY. She really is not like the Dawn at all and her structure is quite different. I have been on all 3 ships. The Sun and the Sky with a few minor differences are almost the same. I prefer the Sun BTW.

The Dawn is really quite different from the Sun and the Sky.

The Sun is the sister ship of the NCL SKY. She really is not like the Dawn at all and her structure is quite different. I have been on all 3 ships. The Sun and the Sky with a few minor differences are almost the same. I prefer the Sun BTW.

The Dawn is really quite different from the Sun and the Sky.

I find it odd that when I research Sun cabins, people seem to use the Dawn nomenclature, eg calling the front/bow cabins such as 9002 AC cabins?

I find it odd that when I research Sun cabins, people seem to use the Dawn nomenclature, eg calling the front/bow cabins such as 9002 AC cabins?

The Dawn and the Sun are very different ships as was stated above. Also an AC on the Sun and an AC on the Dawn are incredibly different.

PE

All of the categorys changed just recently. I do not know why NCL made this change.

Thanks, that cleared it up. I hate the idea of learning all new nomenclature!

And while they were at it, they should have dropped the "suite" name from non-suites, eg minis, to avoid all the confusion associated with that.

If you take a look at the deck plans for SUN on the NCL site, you'll see anything sailing after April 22 has been recategorized. I believe most ships are being done this way throughout the year. For expample: GEM says April 29th. JEWEL says April 16th etc...

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that cleared it up. I hate the idea of learning all new nomenclature!

And while they were at it, they should have dropped the "suite" name from non-suites, eg minis, to avoid all the confusion associated with that.

While I agree they should probably change the name to "Deluxe balcony", they actually did change the designators - they are still called "mini suites" but their categories begin with M for minisuite, as opposed to S for "suite". This is part of the reason they did this, I am sure. Another reason is that, as they were adding suites, they sort of ran out of designators, so there was added A1, A2, A3, and A4, in addition to AA, AB, AC, etc with really no rhyme or reason to the designators.

I like the new designators, and once I learn them I am sure they will be handy. Now, all suites begin with S, and they are designated S1 on down to SF.. All suites with a number designator (S1, S2, etc) have courtyard access. All suites with a letter designator (Sc, SF etc) are full suites without courtyard access. M for all minisuites, B for balcony, O for Oceanview, and I for inside.. Pretty good system if you ask me.

Robin

While I agree they should probably change the name to "Deluxe balcony", they actually did change the designators - they are still called "mini suites" but their categories begin with M for minisuite, as opposed to S for "suite". This is part of the reason they did this, I am sure. Another reason is that, as they were adding suites, they sort of ran out of designators, so there was added A1, A2, A3, and A4, in addition to AA, AB, AC, etc with really no rhyme or reason to the designators.

I like the new designators, and once I learn them I am sure they will be handy. Now, all suites begin with S, and they are designated S1 on down to SF.. All suites with a number designator (S1, S2, etc) have courtyard access. All suites with a letter designator (Sc, SF etc) are full suites without courtyard access. M for all minisuites, B for balcony, O for Oceanview, and I for inside.. Pretty good system if you ask me.

Robin

Thanks for this - you really gave me a running start on figuring out the new system!

Did you work through this on your own, or has NCL published a "key"?

Thanks for this - you really gave me a running start on figuring out the new system!

Did you work through this on your own, or has NCL published a "key"?

It's just something I noticed when trying to find out the new codes for the old suites.. I have checked most of the ships and saw they follow the same rules - so hopefully it's true on all ships (haven't checked POA or Sky). Will certainly make it easier to answer queries about suite benefits, etc, once we know the new codes!

Robin

Robin

I'm a bit confused about the "full suites". Why would full suites not have access to the courtyard?

I'm a bit confused about the "full suites". Why would full suites not have access to the courtyard?

On the Epic, all suites have courtyard access (I am pretty sure), but that's the only ship that has this. On Jewel class ships, only Courtyard Villas and above (including Owner's Suite, Deluxe Owner's Suites, Garden Villas, and two types of Courtyard Villas) have access to the (smaller than the Epic) courtyard. Using the term "full suites" to refer to suite perks like meals at Cagney's (or alternative), butler, and concierge service. On other ships, there is no courtyard, so no access. Are you concerned about a specific cabin on a certain ship?

Robin

Archived