Anybody Canceling Due To Airfare?

Toast1412

thanks :) my husband works in a school so we can only go spring break or first week in august...I'm off to check for our next cruise :)

No problem. My wife works at a daycare and I work at a printing company so we have to book way ahead of time and clear two weeks with our workplaces for December not to mention save most of our payed vacation hours 'til the end of the year. Now we're just waiting on the tax return deposit-:eek:. Anyway, I hope you can find something affordable for sailing up north. Once we move to southern carribean cruises however, I still think we'll have to drive to Florida for those.:(

We are trying to decide between the Liberty out of Ft. Lauderdale or the Magic out of Galveston for next Feb. I am really trying to take the price of the flight into consideration for my family of 6 in helping us make our decision but how could I when it's so far away :rolleyes:? When do the flight schedules come out for next February? This will help us make our final decision & I'd like to book by the end of the month.

January 2012 flights are currently out and February 2012 should be within 30 days. Flying directly into Galveston is not available (that I can see) ~ you will have to fly into Houston, IAH, etc. and add-on the cost of a rental car. There are also limos & shuttle services available to the various airports. The best bet for Galveston January 2012 flights show Delta from Newark to IAH (75 miles to the port) for $160 per person each way.

FLL is a better deal with direct flights on Delta from LaGuardia to Fort Lauderdale for $108 per person each way.

You have to book one way flights to get these rates, FYI. Hope that helps!

Well I am a bit disappointed. We were planning a 7 night cruise for next Feb & after looking at the flight costs for our family of 6 we have decided that we need to wait. The flight would cost half or a little more than 1/2 of what the cruise would cost. Glad we didn't discuss this with the kids :eek:

So instead, my daughter has a softball tournament in Disney World in October. Since we will already be flying to Orlando we have decided to take the 3 night Sensation. Not exactly a 7 nighter like we wanted but it saves us big time with airfare. For now, it will have to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Flying is getting ugly and expensive. That is just my opinion. We should only fly when we really have to fly.

SO TRUE! I hate paying money & being made to feel like some kind of prisoner at the mercy of airline schedules & mess-ups...At least when you drive you're on your own schedule and don't have to worry about every single item you place in your suitcase.

I have stayed at the Valentin and agree that with the rise in air the AI are becoming a better bargain than a cruise with air add on and the cost of beverages at the end of the cruise. The Valentin is so nice I would go there and save some money and wait to see if air goes down to book a cruise

Well I am a bit disappointed. We were planning a 7 night cruise for next Feb & after looking at the flight costs for our family of 6 we have decided that we need to wait. The flight would cost half or a little more than 1/2 of what the cruise would cost. Glad we didn't discuss this with the kids :eek:

So instead, my daughter has a softball tournament in Disney World in October. Since we will already be flying to Orlando we have decided to take the 3 night Sensation. Not exactly a 7 nighter like we wanted but it saves us big time with airfare. For now, it will have to do.

Sounds like a better plan....but what if you went ahead and did a long one while here anyways? Port Canveral and Ft. Lauderdale have some great long one's.

Wow......amazing how many miles some folks are willing to drive !

With the cost of gas, wear and tear, danger on road, and added time required, not sure we'd consider it for the 2 of us.

Next cruise is Tampa........1100 miles each way.......2200 miles, divided by 29 MPG = 76 gallons X $ 5.00/gal (est toward end of year) = $ 380.

Est tolls round trip = $ 100. Added food/drinks, etc round trip = $ 50.

Wear & Tear est = $ 50.

Total $ cost est = $ 580. Round trip airfare (purchased recently)= $ 750.

Difference = add'l $ 170. Difference in time = est. + 30 hours.

2 people X 30 hours = 60 hours. $170 divided by 60 hours = $ 2.84/hour.

Our time is worth more than $ 2.84/hr. So we're stickin with the high airfare........for now. (and avoiding crazy drivers as well).

We need to start driving as much as possible! This is the only way to effectively put some damage into the airlines profit structure and get them to be a little more customer oriented. I agree with posters that have stated that 900 miles or less, look at trying to drive. Let the airlines know that we will not use their product, AT THE PRICES THEY ARE STATING NOW, unless we absolutely have to.

Agreed!!!

I agree about the airfare being ridiculous. I have a group cruise that's not booked until December 2012 and have heard people complain and speculate already about how high those airfare prices will be and they're not even out yet! I just went ahead and decided to do a Charter Bus from the Detroit area to Tampa. It's a 19 hour drive one way and I hate road trips, but it's only $175 per person without any extra baggage fees. Technically it will save me a lot of $ since I have a family of 4. I just have to bite the bullet and go that route...even though sitting in a bus for that long SUCKS!

I don't get where the OP is getting his prices????

Just checked Orbitz, the first site I tried:

Sat, Jun 11 Depart: 6:00 am Chicago, IL (ORD) United Airlines 165

Arrive: 9:31 am Orlando, FL (MCO)

Sat, Jun 18 Depart: 5:21 pm Orlando, FL (MCO) United Airlines 110

Arrive: 7:15 pm Chicago, IL (ORD)

Total Cost: $818 for two passengers? There are even 10:30am nonstop flights but that could be risky.

OP - Have you checked Allegiant Air? In the few pages that I did read, I didn't see it mentioned. I haven't flown with them personally, but I've had friends who have had great success with cheaper flights from our area to FL.

Alliegent is great if you can get their lowest fair - but they charge $39 per bag - plus charge for you to pick your seat - ouch! If you don't care where you sit - no problem but if you are travelling with kids usually you want to sit as a family (we do)

I think they also just fly into smaller airports - close enough but you will probably have to get a rental car. If you have lots of time - they are great but alot of times they fly on only certain days that can be very restrictive too.

We have used them - and think they are great but with two high schoolers it's hard to use them except for summer vacations.

I don't get where the OP is getting his prices????

Just checked Orbitz, the first site I tried:

Sat, Jun 11 Depart: 6:00 am Chicago, IL (ORD) United Airlines 165

Arrive: 9:31 am Orlando, FL (MCO)

Sat, Jun 18 Depart: 5:21 pm Orlando, FL (MCO) United Airlines 110

Arrive: 7:15 pm Chicago, IL (ORD)

Total Cost: $818 for two passengers? There are even 10:30am nonstop flights but that could be risky.

Original post was February 15th. I am sure fares have changed.

Unfortunately yes we did cancel our cruise that was scheduled to school vacation week here in Massachusetts Feb20th this year.

The airfare was outrageous for the 3 of us $1600.00 R/T

We won't take our daughter our of high school for vacation so this is what we face.

Oh well going to try again for next year on the Dream, hopefully we can buy airfare earlier and cheaper this summer.

Here in CT they cancelled February vacation. They get Monday (President's Day) off and then Tuesday and Wednesday, but are scheduled for classes on Thursday and Friday. I was disappointed because I love the break in the winter. This year we will be homebound.

Im not cancelling anything since I dont have anything booked. Nothing booked because Carnival raised the price for solo travellers. But I have to say that I am giving serious thought to doing a different kind of holiday this year.

If I have to pay 200pc to travel alone on a cruise, plus pay a very high price for air travel ( which for me at least has become very unpleasant ), hate being on a plane for more than an hour, and hate airports even more, then I think I might just do a road trip this fall which is my usual vacation time of choice. I have not been to Vermont in about 6 years, and it is very close. Also want to go to New Hampshire, and can do two in one!

I love cruising, but I may have to let it go this year.:(

Archived