First time cruise - Younger crowd in the Med!? Looking for something all inclusive...

chaxey

Hi All -

My wife and I are considering a few cruises and due to a lack of vacation time from work, we need the cruise to coincide with a long weekend (either Labor day or Columbus Day).

We are both 30, and would ideally like to be on an all inclusive cruise line as we both prefer to remove $ from teh day to day experience as we think it degrades the relaxation factor. Seabourne offers 2 cruises we are considering but I am nervous that we will be out of place as it seems that the typical clientele is more of the retiree types. My wife is very enthusiastic about the ports of call and shore excursions offered by Seabourne, but I am turned off by the black tie optional aspect that I keep reading about and that we'd be the out of place age wise.

So we've also considered Azamara, but we are turned off by the fact that hte food sounds pretty bad, and it is not all inclusive. That said, it sounds like a younger more casual crowd and still higher end.

I dont' see a whole lot else out tehre for fall 2011 that coincides with these 2 long weekends but was hoping I've overlooked something and was hoping for some advice on these two lines considering our profile.

Thanks for the help and advice!

There are very few all-inclusive lines, and they are the luxury (ie $$$) lines. My thought is if you can afford the luxury lines, then the add-on expenses to a "regular" cruise shouldn't be of any concern anyway. Because of the cost of the luxury cruises and the lack of child-friendly amenities, the age demo is typically going to be older than many of the mainstream lines.

But when cruising the Med, I think you should truly Put the itinerary first! The Med cruises are very port-intensive and your experience will be more ashore than aboard.

My thought is if you can afford the luxury lines, then the add-on expenses to a "regular" cruise shouldn't be of any concern anyway.

One detail I omitted... we won $7500 for a trip and it only covers up front expenses. IE, we have to spend that money on the airfare and cruise and hotels, we can't bill drinks, excursions, shopping, etc. Thus the added incentive to spend this on an all inclusive venue/cruise.

If it was me, I would worry less about the age factor and concentrate on the things that seem most important to you...itinerary and all inclusive.

My BFF and I were on a premium cruise line for a 12-day Med cruise last year. It is a very busy itinerary and we were off ship until late afternoon everyday.

Most of the passengers were older, but is not to say they were elderly. Does that make sense? We met some fantastic people and had a GREAT time. And, if no one is around to party with you...make your own. There were a couple of nights that we on the dance floor all by ourselves! :D

You don't mention if you have kids...I assume not; one nice thing about the premium lines is that there's very few children aboard.

One detail I omitted... we won $7500 for a trip and it only covers up front expenses. IE, we have to spend that money on the airfare and cruise and hotels, we can't bill drinks, excursions, shopping, etc. Thus the added incentive to spend this on an all inclusive venue/cruise.

Even with this new info, I'd still book for the itinerary first - and book the best air class you can for those lonnnggg flights!

All inclusive in the Med, at the lower budget end of cruising, seems to come down to Thomson's, which has a sliding scale of pricing according to when you book, and Pullmantur, which includes drinks...and Aida from Germany. Plus, of course, the more expensive lines.

P&O and Fred Olsen sell drink quite cheaply....without an added 15%...pub prices. I don't remember it being expensive on Louis out of Greece.

Jo.

Hi All -

My wife and I are considering a few cruises and due to a lack of vacation time from work, we need the cruise to coincide with a long weekend (either Labor day or Columbus Day).

We are both 30, and would ideally like to be on an all inclusive cruise line as we both prefer to remove $ from teh day to day experience as we think it degrades the relaxation factor. Seabourne offers 2 cruises we are considering but I am nervous that we will be out of place as it seems that the typical clientele is more of the retiree types. My wife is very enthusiastic about the ports of call and shore excursions offered by Seabourne, but I am turned off by the black tie optional aspect that I keep reading about and that we'd be the out of place age wise.

So we've also considered Azamara, but we are turned off by the fact that hte food sounds pretty bad, and it is not all inclusive. That said, it sounds like a younger more casual crowd and still higher end.

I dont' see a whole lot else out tehre for fall 2011 that coincides with these 2 long weekends but was hoping I've overlooked something and was hoping for some advice on these two lines considering our profile.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Hmm, even with the $7500, that still wouldn't be enough for the luxury liners i.e. Crystal, Regent and Seabourn. I am booked on the Carnival Magic, while I know it is not a luxury cruise ship, after going on Holland, I booked it soley for the itinerary. Good luck!

The Med. cruises have lots of European pax. As stated, your airfare is probably going to be at least $1,000 each. So that doesn't leave you very much for "all inclusive". Have you considered the Epic r/t from Barcelona? Brand new ship, attracts a young crowd. The Royal Caribbean cruise will have lots of young people also. We went to the Med. two years ago, and half the pax were Europeans and didn't bother getting off the ship at the ports. They just went for the cruising part.:)

I agree that luxury cruise lines are expensive. Also agree that age is not important on a port intensive cruise and that itinerary is a main factor (although, if you have not been to or studied the area, you would not necessarily know where you want to visit). I do not agree that booking the best suite on a mainstream cruise line is always the best way to go.

If you take the most all-inclusive cruise line (Regent), cruises this year in the Med. run about $10,000 - $12,000 for two (and up). Deduct from that the price of airfare (included) drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic - also included), tips (included), speciality restaurants (included) and excursions (most included), you will see the actual cost of the cruise. Two of Regent ships are all-balcony, all suites (and the suites are some of the largest at sea).

During summer and school vacations, there are children and a younger crowd. The rest of the time the age is considerably older. These are small ships (700 passengers) and do not have the range of things to do that 2,000 passenger ships have. While it is upscale, there are no formal nights. Elegant Casual is the dress code (no jeans, shorts, etc. at night).

Regent works well for young people on port intensive itineraries. When you get back to the ship you are tired and may only want to shower, have a drink on your balcony and/or one of the lounges, eat dinner, a couple more drinks and then to bed.:)

We were on the Holland American line to the Mediterranean last May and are returning again this May. It is quite easy to spend the money up front. By the time you figure in airfare, excursions and cabin fare plus any extras you book ahead of time, I don't think that money will go that far on the luxury lines. And I agree, those cruises are port intensive, no worries about who is on board with you. You barely are there yourself! My teens went with us and my oldest is going again (he is 20). They loved it.

Diane

Archived