US to charge Canadians passenger inspection fees?

world~citizen

I don't believe this. Canadians need US visitors more than they need Canadians, as it is not as many US citizens are crossing the boarder due to the value of our dollar, and the lack of passports. Bottom line is we can't afford to sink to the level of a reciprocal tax.

john

Why not? Sorry I cannot agree with that viewpoint. Not to say we should go tit-for-tat, but there's no reason we should not also tax US visitors in the same way. I think it's unsettling that the US is trying to gouge money from it's closest ally and trading partner to offset their humungous debt due to mismanagement. The Canadian economy is much healthier by far but we shouldn't be subsidizing the US.

And it's "border", not boarder!

In the near future we might have a user fee on the full body scanner. I can see it already, $ 2.00 to use the scanner- $ 3.00 for a "pat down".

Oh no, don't give them any ideas.

Theo

Don't you know, the scanners will soon replace your annual medical exam!! LOL

In the near future we might have a user fee on the full body scanner. I can see it already, $ 2.00 to use the scanner- $ 3.00 for a "pat down".

Theo

Oh heck, some of us old broads would likely pay a lot more for a pat down:D:D:D

Why not? Sorry I cannot agree with that viewpoint. Not to say we should go tit-for-tat, but there's no reason we should not also tax US visitors in the same way. I think it's unsettling that the US is trying to gouge money from it's closest ally and trading partner to offset their humungous debt due to mismanagement. The Canadian economy is much healthier by far but we shouldn't be subsidizing the US.

And it's "border", not boarder!

Well said, Ann. It's a bad move on the part of the US Government. :(

Theo

Oh, I'm sure they're thinking of that!!:p I had both on my nightmare journey home from Barcelona in December. I dinged when I walked through in LHR, and I NEVER ding. I had nothing on me at all but a small watch - not even any pockets. But, I then was subjected to the groping. Then in Dallas I had the body scan. I really hated that.

Oh heck, some of us old broads would likely pay a lot more for a pat down:D:D:D

It was a woman that groped me - I'll pass. LOL The guys were watching intently, though. :rolleyes:

Existing fees today -- sample one way fares for next Wednesday, priced in USD for consistency

All to say, on either side of the border there is no shortage of taxes to be paid, and accessorial charges remitted, but the same flight / same fare bucket going the opposite direction is still 52.75$ cheaper, originating from the US, primarily due to HST and AIF (airport improvement fees) Scott.

Scott, I did a search on the AC site for round-trip fares between these city pairs, one with a YXU origin and one with ORD origin, for travel February 23 - March 2:

YXU-ORD-YXU

Departing Flight - Tango Plus

Returning Flight - Tango Plus

Surcharges 15.00

Canada Airport Improvement Fee 15.00

U.S.A Transportation Tax 32.28

U.S Agriculture Fee 4.95

Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) 12.10

U.S Passenger Facility Charge 4.46

Canada Harmonized Sales Tax 1.95

Canada Goods and Services Tax 26.71

September 11 Security Fee 2.48

U.S.A Immigration User Fee 6.93

Total airfare and taxes before options (per passenger) 628.86

ORD-YXU-ORD

Departing Flight - Tango Plus

Returning Flight - Tango Plus

Surcharges 14.92

Canada Airport Improvement Fee 15.00

U.S.A Transportation Tax 32.28

U.S Agriculture Fee 4.95

Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) 12.71

U.S Passenger Facility Charge 4.46

Canada Harmonized Sales Tax 1.95

September 11 Security Fee 2.48

U.S.A Immigration User Fee 6.93

Total airfare and taxes before options (per passenger) 597.76

The base fare on the ex-YXU flights was $5.08 more than ex-ORD, so adjusting for this, flying out of Canada in this case is still $26.02 more than flying the reverse itinerary out of the US.

Notice that the US agriculture and immigration fees are charged on each itinerary -- this was the same whether I selected "Canada" or "US" as country of residence. So, if the proposed 'inspection fee' of $5.50 were enacted, would it only be implemented on tickets originating in Canada? How would airlines collect this from Canadians only, and not from US citizens?

(FWIW, roundtrip flights Detroit-Chicago for those dates ($285) are less than half the cost of flying out of London)

I think it's unsettling that the US is trying to gouge money from it's closest ally and trading partner to offset their humungous debt due to mismanagement.

And we're not just close trading partners geographically as Canada is the U.S. biggest trading partner. Period.

I don't believe this. Canadians need US visitors more than they need Canadians, as it is not as many US citizens are crossing the boarder due to the value of our dollar, and the lack of passports. Bottom line is we can't afford to sink to the level of a reciprocal tax.

john

If Canadians stopped going to Florida, as they do en masse in the winter months, the economy of the state would suffer greatly.

Doesn't seem to me this is a very 'neighborly' thing to do. :( It embarrasses me.

Don't worry about it. I am sure our gov't will come up with something equally un-neighbourly and we will be embarrassed. Give them time.;)

Why is it always air travellers who have to pay these taxes? Why not pick up these taxes at the land boarders too. Then you will see the fur fly!

If there are extra taxes they should be evenly distributed evenly no matter how you cross a border and both countries should charge it just to be fair. I am fed up with air travellers picking up the bulk of security and inspection and whatever fees there are out there to collect.

Yup.

Its called reciprocity but the fees are only proposed as of this time.

They just might. But this would hit all travellers, just as the currently proposed US fees would.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/940902--canadians-face-new-u-s-border-fee

The article quotes a fellow at the Hudson Institute: “Americans who come to Canada will have to pay it when they fly back and that includes me. But mostly this will fall on Canadians because that’s about three-quarters of the cross-border flow."

So if the Canadian government were to go with a knee-jerk 'reciprocity' reaction, ultimately Canadians would be paying more.

They just might. But this would hit all travellers, just as the currently proposed US fees would.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/940902--canadians-face-new-u-s-border-fee

The article quotes a fellow at the Hudson Institute: “Americans who come to Canada will have to pay it when they fly back and that includes me. But mostly this will fall on Canadians because that’s about three-quarters of the cross-border flow."

So if the Canadian government were to go with a knee-jerk 'reciprocity' reaction, ultimately Canadians would be paying more.

As fees will apply to freight as well, Ottawa will find it difficult to ignore them.

Lets hope none of this happens.

Smooth sailing...

If the tax is implemented most people won't even be aware of it. It will be buried with the rest of the fees attached to your air fare or cruise fare. Does anyone really look that closely at anything other than the bottom line??? The certainly are not going to collect 5.50 for every man, woman, and child as they exit the plane or disembark the ship.

If the tax is implemented most people won't even be aware of it. It will be buried with the rest of the fees attached to your air fare or cruise fare. Does anyone really look that closely at anything other than the bottom line??? The certainly are not going to collect 5.50 for every man, woman, and child as they exit the plane or disembark the ship.

Sorry but I'm not "most people" and do noticed when I'm being gouged and do notice when the bottom line keeps rising. It's super bad with airfares that most airlines advertise a $198 RT ticket and the total comes in well over double that thanks to these sorts of fees and now it'll apply to cruises also.

Canadians vote with their feet. Thousands of Canadians travel to Detroit or Buffalo rather than pay the extortion fees/taxes for flights out of Toronto. Plattsburgh NY has so many folks from Montreal flying out of that airport that there are French speaking personnel working at the Plattsburgh airport. Many people that I know in Ottawa will drive 3 hours to Syracuse NY for cheaper flights to Florida. Parking fees in Syracuse are minimal. Some Canadians will cry over a proposed $5.00 fee, but will continue to absolve the Canadian government which seems to have unlimited access to their wallets.

Canadians vote with their feet. Thousands of Canadians travel to Detroit or Buffalo rather than pay the extortion fees/taxes for flights out of Toronto. Plattsburgh NY has so many folks from Montreal flying out of that airport that there are French speaking personnel working at the Plattsburgh airport. Many people that I know in Ottawa will drive 3 hours to Syracuse NY for cheaper flights to Florida. Parking fees in Syracuse are minimal. Some Canadians will cry over a proposed $5.00 fee, but will continue to absolve the Canadian government which seems to have unlimited access to their wallets.

So true !;)

Sorry but I'm not "most people" and do noticed when I'm being gouged and do notice when the bottom line keeps rising. It's super bad with airfares that most airlines advertise a $198 RT ticket and the total comes in well over double that thanks to these sorts of fees and now it'll apply to cruises also.

Good that you notice, wish more people did (or acted on it). Airlines in Canada can get away with a lot in terms of deceptive advertising -- they will tout a one-way fare that's only available for a roundtrip and limited in quantity, and then add in the taxes AND 'fuel surcharges' (have you ever seen a restaurant add on a 'food surcharge'?!:eek:), giving a grand total that's triple or more the advertised fare. It's not much better in the US, but at least they are required to include more of the fees/surcharges in the base fare.

Some Canadians will cry over a proposed $5.00 fee, but will continue to absolve the Canadian government which seems to have unlimited access to their wallets.

Not only the government, but businesses as well. We're subjected to prices on goods and services that are usually significantly higher than in the US, and when handed various lines about 'higher cost of doing business' etc, we're too complacent in our response.

Not only the government, but businesses as well. We're subjected to prices on goods and services that are usually significantly higher than in the US, and when handed various lines about 'higher cost of doing business' etc, we're too complacent in our response.

Couldn't agree more.

Archived