Anchorage to Fairbanks, Era Aviaiation or Alaska Air?

travelingmom37

Hi,

We need to take a direct flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks to catch our tour.

Both Era Avaiation and Alaska Air offer this flight for $98.

I would normally chose a known airline, Alaska Air, but Era has no cancellation penalty and does not charge for baggage.

Is there a signifigant difference between the two airlines?

We also plan on taking the last flight of the day ( 5 pm) in order to see Anchorage. Should we be concerned about reliability?

I want to book this asap while the fare is so reasonable.

Thanks in advance for help.

ERA has some small aircraft, compared to Alaska Airlines, no concern for me, but may be for others. The aircraft is listed.

Are you using any purchased coupons? ERA is participating, and I'm using them again, this year. Both will get you there, pick one.

Thanks Budget Queen,

You are the maven on all things Alaska on these boards!

I do have the tour saver book, spoke to Era at length yesterday, they said the 2 for 1 coupon is only good the day of travel, meanaing 1/2 the rate on that day. They agreed that I am unlikely to find a fare less than $200 that day,the total price of two tickets today. I did find this very strange.

To be honest, they were very nice but flakey.

In other words, based on thier info, the coupon is worthless for anything but last minute flights. Please let me know if you had a different experience with the coupon.

I asked about the aircraft size, they said it is a 37 passenger plane, their largest.

BTW, I planned to send you my preliminary itinerary for your feedback.

Thanks!

Thanks Budget Queen,

You are the maven on all things Alaska on these boards!

I do have the tour saver book, spoke to Era at length yesterday, they said the 2 for 1 coupon is only good the day of travel, meanaing 1/2 the rate on that day. They agreed that I am unlikely to find a fare less than $200 that day,the total price of two tickets today. I did find this very strange.

To be honest, they were very nice but flakey.

In other words, based on thier info, the coupon is worthless for anything but last minute flights. Please let me know if you had a different experience with the coupon.

I asked about the aircraft size, they said it is a 37 passenger plane, their largest.

BTW, I planned to send you my preliminary itinerary for your feedback.

Thanks!

Please REREAD the rules for using the Toursaver coupons. Discount is only available for PUBLISHED fares. The $98.00 price you saw may be a special, NON PUBLISHED fare, so the coupon is NOT valid. AND according to the rules, PHONE reservations are REQUIRED, so this would primarily negate day of travel reservations. BUT the trip will NOT be priced and ticketed UNTIL you present the coupon. It appears you can have reservations, but get hit with a $400pp trip price on day of travel IF you did not ticket previously. Bad deal unless you have a TA who can ticket the trip in the Continental USA.

If you found a price of $98.00pp ON THE DAY YOU NEED THE FLIGHT, just book it.

From the Toursaver website:

"Coupon Expires: 12/31/2011

Era's scheduled regional airline flights offer comfort, convenience and impeccable service using a combination of deHavilland Dash-8 and Beechcraft 1900D aircraft. Our team of professionals on the ground and in the air ensures the highest level of passenger satisfaction.

Advance reservations are required. Space is limited. Phone reservations only. No online booking permitted for this offer. Trip will not be priced until ticketed. TourSaver coupon book required and must be presented for ticketing (coupon is VOID if detached from booklet). Both travelers must fly identical itineraries. Applicable fees and taxes will be charged. Tickets are non-refundable. Discount applies to published fares only. Travelers must comply with applicable rules and conditions of fare."

Last flight of the day situations can always be iffy in Alaska where weather in a continual issue.

What is your Plan B if that flight does not take off?

The OP would have several options, especially if trip insurance has been purchased....

Possible first flight out in the am would not be too late.

Era and Alaska are partners of sorts, so maybe Era would put them on one of the later AK air flights.

If all else fails, rent a car and drive.

The OP would have several options, especially if trip insurance has been purchased....

You really, really have to read all the "gotcha's" in some of these trip insurance policies. Miss a connection-some REQUIRE you to have missed the flight/cruise by 4-6 hours, not a couple. And as I found out, Alaska weather conditions fall into the "trip cancellation" portion in some policies, which often requires 24 hour shutdown of ALL flights, not just a flight on a small plane. Easy out of Homer (which is where it happened to me for an ERA flight) NOT so easy out of ANC.

With those parameters, I would book the AS flights, even if they were more expensive.

You answered my questions re. "last flight of the day". Plan B is to fly out the next day and still meet the tour. Alaska Air is it if i must fly.Many more flights listed.

As for insurance I always use "Insure My Trip" which offers numerous choices at different coverage levels. Too much $$ and energy to risk losing my vacation. The cruise lines add a high % for these same policies.

As of now, the whole cruise line itinarary is so convoluted I am trying to piece it together myself and forgo the Fairbanks leg. My primary goal for the trip is Denali. "Alaska Denali Tours" has some excellent, well-priced options. If I can work it out they will be my next CC query.

As always, the feedback is tremendously helpful.

You answered my questions re. "last flight of the day". Plan B is to fly out the next day and still meet the tour. Alaska Air is it if i must fly.Many more flights listed.

As for insurance I always use "Insure My Trip" which offers numerous choices at different coverage levels. Too much $$ and energy to risk losing my vacation. The cruise lines add a high % for these same policies.

As of now, the whole cruise line itinarary is so convoluted I am trying to piece it together myself and forgo the Fairbanks leg. My primary goal for the trip is Denali. "Alaska Denali Tours" has some excellent, well-priced options. If I can work it out they will be my next CC query.

You have a few options: You already posted you are flying into ANC. So rent a car and drive to Denali. Book your own hotels (there are many from basic hotels to luxury), book either a tour through Aramark (I think there are 4) or the shuttle direct through the Park Service.

If you don't want to drive, you can take the train (booked direct with Alaska RR) or the Park Connection bus from Anchorage to Denali. HOWEVER, if you are doing your own thing, a car in Denali DEFINITELY has it advantages.

Things to think about.

We also plan on taking the last flight of the day ( 5 pm) in order to see Anchorage.

What day are you going that the last flight of the day Anchorage to Fairbanks is 5pm? A Tuesday or Saturday? Those are the only days that Era's last flight is that early. Alaska Air has later flights every day of the week.

For those of us who have slept on benches and even on the floor in Alaska airports while waiting and waiting for a chance to get on a flight that actually departs, a Plan B is really important.

Do not put necessary medicines into your checked bags. (checked bags may be hard to get to) and have some snacks and some things to do at hand.

I always have something to sleep in/on even if it is only a parka.

You do get to meet some interesting people while you wait.

I would suggest you perhaps start over and get a well routed and organized travel itinerary. This is too important and costly in my opinion not to.

I would suggest you perhaps start over and get a well routed and organized travel itinerary. This is too important and costly in my opinion not to.

I agree 100%. My frustration level has mounted over this one "simple" leg of the trip. I thought it was planned per my "cruisetour". Having been over-welmed by the endless options for our visit, I am now working on revising the land portion based on lur interests and means.

Thank you all again for your insight and suggestions.

Archived