Criminal record and cruising?

First off...I am NOT referring to myself! The person I plan to cruise with does have a passport. We are looking at cruising the Caribbean in August...east or west will determine based on answers...the person I am cruising with has a felony (a stupid drug charge from 11 years ago)... No restrictions on travel...probation was over in 07. Just curious if there are any countries they won't be allowed in because of the crime? Thanks fir any help! Steph

Thanks guys.. no warrants.. time and probation done and over with (time finished 7 years ago... probation done 4 years ago)... and we just flew to AZ last week and no issues there. Its their first cruise so I dont want them to miss out on any ports (never been out of the country either!).

Shouldn't be a problem. The only people who have issues are those with outstanding warrants ... they sometimes get a rude surprise upon re-entry to the US.

No problems anticipated. I'm a retired parole officer. Once your sentence is done, it's done. The fact that a passport was issued is validation enough for any government agency or cruise line. And you're right about active warrants ... happened with my cases dozens of times. With today's technology, it's tough to avoid ... even had a guy arrested in '06 on a warrant dating back to '91. But you'll be fine ... have a great cruise!

I agree with all of those who have said, time is served, probation is done, passport is valid, no problems. I will also tell you don't be shocked if he is pulled aside for a "random" screening upon return from the cruise since he has a drug arrest record. Not saying it will happen, just saying don't be shocked. Have a great cruise, Jim

Shouldn't be a problem. The only people who have issues are those with outstanding warrants ... they sometimes get a rude surprise upon re-entry to the US.

Not entirely true. Many countries may prohibit people with criminal records from entering. Canada happens to be one of them. If you have been convicted of certain offences you may be denied entry.

Simple possession 11 years ago is unlikely.

Not entirely true. Many countries may prohibit people with criminal records from entering. Canada happens to be one of them. If you have been convicted of certain offences you may be denied entry.

During my 31-year career, I had several inquiries from former offenders asking the identical question ... and all fared well. I don't see any difficulty in Caribbean ports.

Well as stated in past posts. I dont forsee a problem. Canada does have a very extensive Customs area and can see certain FBI Files from the U.S.

My story is short. I took my first cruise in Alaska in August 2009. We ended the cruise in Vancouver Canada. As I was going through Canadian Custums I was pulled aside because of something on my Military record from 2001. Note on that record was a charge that the Military never officially charged me with or never Courtmartialed me for. However that charge was still on my record. Canadian Custums held me for over 2 hours before releasing me. Getting back in to the U.S. was no problem. I have cruised the Bahammas and Carribean and even work with an Big Company without any issues.

I hope that this helps.

Short & Sweet: 28 years ago a theft over $200,we have been vacationing for 11 years from Canada to United States, havedone 5 cruises, lots of flights and driving to the United States, this cruise refused access, US immigration would not allow husband to cruise, now need to pay a total of $685 for waiver to enter the US & finger prints, if application denied, no money returned. Luggage remained on ship after waiting for approximately 6 hours, had to buy new everything, luggage came back 7 days later. :(

I hope your situation is better than ours, we had no idea he wouldn't be allowed to cruise, he had already been on 5 other RCI cruises, we were told that the rules have changed and US immigration is now able to access anyone's files.

Good Luck!!!:D

Interesting. Thanks.

Canada is one of the countries that has access to the FBI databases and uses it VERY frequently. And vice versa.

Other countries may or may not have access; typically the issue only comes up when you are applying for a Visa and in that case you may have to get your record yourself from the FBI. Many countries are only concerned with major crimes like murder.

Canada, on the other hand, will deny you based on a 40 year old DUI.

Ask any commercial truck driver from Canada about the problems that will be encountered when entering the United States with a criminal record. To enter the United States we must get a FAST card that involves fingerprinting, and an interview at select border crossing crossings. If during the processing of the police data bases and the fingerprint files you are found to have a criminal record you will be denied entry to the United States, and or Canada. Both the United States and Canada since 911 have been very deligent in assessing visitors to their respective countries. Caribbean countries seem to be more concerned with tourist dollars then with extensive background checks that routinely happen in Canada and the United States. If you are Canadian, and do have a criminal record, it will almost be imperitive that you apply for, and obtain a waiver entry. This is a pain, lots of red tape, but is a fact of life in the post 911 world.

I beleive it is called Justice.

Amazing the things folks with warrants do...

Archived