A couple of Mediterranean questions

emilymad

We are thinking of booking a Mediterranean cruise for either mid September or mid October and I have a few questions. I want to possibly take advantage of the sale starting tomorrow.

Is there a big difference between mid September and mid October? What is the weather like? Does stuff start to shut down by mid October?

Is a balcony worth it? I don't expect to be in the room much due to it being so port intensive but at the same time you are also sailing on the Mediterrean. Are their good views?

Thanks!

The weather will definitely be warmer in September, but it should still be nice in October. We booked Voyager from Venice on October 8 and hope for good weather.

It does rain more in October but the ports that are visited on this tour are not overly touristic and everything should be open.

We usually visit southern Italy that time of year and it is usually warm with one or two days of heavy rain.

Thanks! The earliest we would be able to book in October is the 15th so I was worried the weather would be worse then. We are looking at the Liberty out of Barcelona so I agree that the ports would still be business as usual.

We are thinking of booking a Mediterranean cruise for either mid September or mid October and I have a few questions. I want to possibly take advantage of the sale starting tomorrow.

Is there a big difference between mid September and mid October? What is the weather like? Does stuff start to shut down by mid October?

Is a balcony worth it? I don't expect to be in the room much due to it being so port intensive but at the same time you are also sailing on the Mediterrean. Are their good views?

Thanks!

We have crused the Mediterranean in September and October. Mid September in the Eastern Med. was downright hot. October in the Western Med. was cool in the mornings and warm in the afternoons but never hot.

We found tourist (help) kiosks were shut down in France in October, but it never caused a problem.

Some will say they cannot do without a balcony. While I like a balcony, I'd rather spend my money on tours and souveniers. It's subjective. I tried an interior once and will never (ever) do that again. I need to at least see the outside world. Sometimes, waiting until close to the sailing date, you can upgrade from an OV to a balcony for the same price...BONUS!!! :D

We did a Western Med. cruise two years ago with NCL (Gem). It was an extremely intensive port itinerary. We did have an aft balcony and spent some time out there - but really not that much. We only had one day at sea - the other days were jam packed with port stops. To me, the decision to get a balcony depends on the ship you'd be sailing. To us, we felt the Gem lacked variety in public spaces (due to the overall size of the ship and the amount of room needed for all the speciality restaurants). If it's a good-designed ship with a lot of variety in public spaces and a packed itinerary, then I'd say that the chance you'd fully utilize a balcony is less than "normal" and I wouldn't hesitate to save the money and book an oceanview. Hope this makes sense.

We did a Med 2 years ago. While having a balcony is nice I don't think we spent over 3hrs out there on the entire trip. On days with port calls we were up by 6-6:30a and didn't get back to the room until 5-5:30. We'd take a quick power nap and were were up by 6:30 to shower and head to dinner. Unfortunately for us it rained on our 2 sea days so no sitting out there.

I don't think that I would spend the money to do it again while in the Med. Med cruises are definitely action packed with little down time.

On a side note--I do recommend you do late seatting or my time dining on a Med cruise. You want to take advantage of your ports and not have to think about rushing back so you don't miss dinner. A couple of people we met on the ship had to have dinner at the Windjammer because by the time they got back they didn't have time to shower and make the first seating.

We did a Western Med. cruise two years ago with NCL (Gem). It was an extremely intensive port itinerary. We did have an aft balcony and spent some time out there - but really not that much. We only had one day at sea - the other days were jam packed with port stops. To me, the decision to get a balcony depends on the ship you'd be sailing. To us, we felt the Gem lacked variety in public spaces (due to the overall size of the ship and the amount of room needed for all the speciality restaurants). If it's a good-designed ship with a lot of variety in public spaces and a packed itinerary, then I'd say that the chance you'd fully utilize a balcony is less than "normal" and I wouldn't hesitate to save the money and book an oceanview. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the perspective. We are looking at the Liberty which we haven't sailed on but we have sailed on Voyager class ships and the Oasis so I feel like we have sort of an idea what the ship will be like. I think we will be ok without the balcony. We have sailed in the past in cabins from insides to balconys.

We are already book on the Liberty on Oct 15. I am VERY excited. I have checked the weather and while its cooler in Oct, its very nice from what I understand. I could not do Sept due to my mom not handling the heat well.

DH and I have booked an inside cabin... this will be our first. I decided to save the money and "share" my mom and aunt's balcony... lol. Its such a port intensive cruise that I seriously doubt we would have used it much.

We are booking early dinner, but also know that we will miss out on the dining room several days. We plan on having dinner in Windjammer or having room service.

We are busy picking out excursions and flights right now. Oct cant come soon enough!!

I think you all have convinced me that we don't need a balcony. DH will be so pleased! We need to look at the dates more closely to see if one works better than another with our work schedules.

I started looking at airfare but it is proofing difficult. All of the flights home seem to be either really early in the morning or late at night. Ugh.

I think you all have convinced me that we don't need a balcony. DH will be so pleased! We need to look at the dates more closely to see if one works better than another with our work schedules.

I started looking at airfare but it is proofing difficult. All of the flights home seem to be either really early in the morning or late at night. Ugh.

We are having issues with that also. I called RCCL and they assured me that the 10am flight will be ok. I have asked on here too and was told that yes we could make it (along with several others telling me to stay a night after the cruise). We will be booking our air thru the cruiseline so we will be "protected" in case we arrive late. (We also have ins)

Our problem is that my mom will be coming from Albuquerque, my sister LAX, my aunt DFW and DH and I out of MEM. I am trying to get everyone in one place before flying to Barcelona. Talk about a headache!! LOL

We had a 10am flight out of Barcelona. We were one of the first off the ship (NCL) and had absolutely no problems catching a taxi and getting through the lines at the airport. In fact, we had time to grab something to eat at the airport plus browse through a couple of shops.

We did a 12 day Med/Venice cruise on the Brilliance in Sept/Oct. 2008 and spent more time on our balcony for that cruise than on any other we've taken. Of the 1200+ pictures we took, over half were from our aft balcony. I would not even consider cruising

without being able to step out on our balcony and having cocktails in the evening.

Aubie

We are booked on the Liberty out of Barcelona Aug 27th..Just got our flights LAX-BCN so now I feel it's really happening..Our Meet & Mingle thread is almost nonexistant..Would love to hear about excursions any of you are planning as this is our first Western Med..Trying to decide what ports we can do on our own vs private tours...HELP :eek:

I am glad a 10am flight seems to be ok. I will have to look at the flight schedules again. The issue is we are trying to fly to London first for a few days but all of the airlines want crazy prices for one way trips.

Book an open jaw from origin -> London -> port city -> back home

We are booked on the Liberty out of Barcelona Aug 27th..Just got our flights LAX-BCN so now I feel it's really happening..Our Meet & Mingle thread is almost nonexistant..Would love to hear about excursions any of you are planning as this is our first Western Med..Trying to decide what ports we can do on our own vs private tours...HELP :eek:

I am traveling with my mom who is 70 and my sister who has never left the country before except for Caribbean cruises. I don't have a choice. It will be the ships excursions. And honestly, I will be more comfortable too so I am not fussing about it.

I am glad a 10am flight seems to be ok. I will have to look at the flight schedules again. The issue is we are trying to fly to London first for a few days but all of the airlines want crazy prices for one way trips.

Try using the "Multicity" option on the carriers website..Sometimes oneway flights can be great other times.:eek::eek:

Been to the Med several times in October. Most places are open right up to the end of October as many Brits go the last week in October as it is a school holiday week.

Flights from BCN to LHR or LGW can be found at very reasonable prices with Easyjet. No frills airline - and you may have to wait a couple of months for the dates required.

Hope this helps

Pete & Carol

I would plump for late sep rather than late oct cruised med oct only had one bad day genoa for portofino but if your coming across the pond to visit europe be mindfull that you want decent enough weather to actually dock which can be a promblem in the med early and late season and have found in some european cities certain places will have short opening hours or be closed out of season generally after early oct enjoy

I will be on the Brillance this June. I'm expecting hot weather, but it's really the only time I can get away (due to work constraints). I wouldn't dream of going to the Mediterranean without a balcony. I know this cruise is going to be very intense on port days, but I forsee myself spending sea days relaxing on the balcony (as well as early morning breakfasts and possibly a dinner here or there on the balcony). It's my vacation and I want to relax...not spend time "hunting" for a chair by the pool....or so I've read. (Also...I'm not a big souvenir person--I love my photos--so I'd rather spend my money on a balcony)

(For what it's worth, I'm thinking of planning another cruise for 2012 to Alaska...and there's no way I want to spend the extra cash on a balcony. I'd much rather spend that money towards excursions and a land-based tour.)

Long story short...it's really up to you...how do YOU want to spend yoru hard-earned cash? Enjoy your cruise!

I will be on the Brillance this June. I'm expecting hot weather, but it's really the only time I can get away (due to work constraints). I wouldn't dream of going to the Mediterranean without a balcony. I know this cruise is going to be very intense on port days, but I forsee myself spending sea days relaxing on the balcony (as well as early morning breakfasts and possibly a dinner here or there on the balcony). It's my vacation and I want to relax...not spend time "hunting" for a chair by the pool....or so I've read. (Also...I'm not a big souvenir person--I love my photos--so I'd rather spend my money on a balcony)

(For what it's worth, I'm thinking of planning another cruise for 2012 to Alaska...and there's no way I want to spend the extra cash on a balcony. I'd much rather spend that money towards excursions and a land-based tour.)

Long story short...it's really up to you...how do YOU want to spend yoru hard-earned cash? Enjoy your cruise!

Great points about the balcony! I could definitely see lots of room service breakfasts and a balcony would be much easier than eating around the bed.

LOL and I am the complete opposite of you. We are going on a 7 day Med cruise with only one sea day so why waste the money on a balcony we won't enjoy (there is a $1000 diff between our inside and my mom's balcony cabin). I can do a LOT with that $1000. When we go to Alaska next year, there is so much to see, I want a balcony.... lol.

You are correct. Its just whatever you prefer.

I think the Liberty is sailing Western Meds. By late October it can be getting pretty cool and it is often a pretty rainy time of year. We sailed the typical 7 night Med itinerary out of BCN last year the week of Halloween and had heavy pouring rain or at least a couple of hours every day---all day on 3 days. The two weeks before had also had raining nearly every day (according to staff and weather reports). That seems to be rather common that time of year.

You can still have a very nice time, but it is not AS nice in a chilly, hard rain to tour as it is in calmer weather.

Pam...I totally agree with you. One sea day isn't worth the extra $1000. My Med. cruise is 12 days, so we have 3 or 4 sea days (I forget which). I'd really like to take a nap on balcony on one of those sea days! ;) For me, I think it has to do with the weather...I'd prefer spending time on a balcony in warm weather...cold weather (for Alaska)....not so much.

Archived