Zip Line on Oasis/Allure

LTyler

Yes, you go up when they are open. I believe the hours are on the Cruise Compass.

We did the zipline on day 1 before we went to our rooms, so it was probably around 1pm or so. We got in line to sign the waivers and they put us right on.

As already mentioned, the Zip Line hours are posted in the Compass. When we did our sign up for the waivers, we went to the window on the starboard side. To go on the ride, we went to the lineup on the port side. They swipe your Seapass card in a portable reader, confirm that you've done the waivers, and get you harnessed up.

Toward the end of the week, the process got bogged down. First-timers waiting till the last day to try the Zip Line were being signed in from start to finish, with the waivers, at the port side lineup. Some of the guests were unprepared, without the proper shoes and wearing sunglasses, carrying cameras, etc., and requiring extra time to scroll through all the waivers and accept them. As a result, there were long periods when nobody was actually riding the line, and the lineup kept increasing. And with rain periodically shutting down the operation, the lineup did get lengthy.

I think it would be much better if the staff directed everyone to the opposite side for their first-time sign-in and review of the requirements. Then return to the port side lineup for the much quicker sign-in each time you need to be harnessed up.

An older discussion on the requirements can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1100317&highlight=zipline+rules

Never mind what it says about the wristband. I think they are still doing that for FlowRider, but for the Zip Line they scan your Seapass card each time you line up to get harnessed. Once you've done the waivers once per voyage, it's in their system so a quick swipe confirms that you're ready to go. They no longer use wristbands for Zip Line. And last week when I was there, they were not taking reservations, just line up when you're ready.

(They did hand out "front of the line" passes to people standing in line when it started to rain...this gets you to the front quickly when the weather clears and other people have already started to line up again).

We just did the Zip Line on Allure last week and it was fun and easy. We had done our waivers online and just went over the first day and there was no line. Like others have described if you already signed your waivers you just go to the port side, they slide your seapass card and you get suited up and go!

You can't have ANYTHING in your pockets or on you that's not attached. You also need real shoes, not slip ons or flip flops.

We got to go multiple times that first day since they weren't very busy we could just keep our harnesses on and go back and forth!

The limit was 275lbs, they didn't weigh everyone. I think only people that looked like they were close to that got weighed.

For me, there was just a split-second of hesitation at that moment when your hands are on the handgrip, feet on the railing, waiting for the staff member to tell you to go. But then you're on your way across, and before you know it, it's over.

I found myself focused on the landing area across, and getting legs raised into the correct position for landing. With that to occupy my brain for the few seconds of the ride, there really wasn't time to be scared.

So I did a few go-arounds on each of two days earlier in the week, when the lines were almost non-existent. And one last round on the final day when it was quite busy.

There are cords designed for sporting uses with eyeglasses that work very well. I bought one several years ago at a sporting goods store (don't remember where, exactly), and used it last week on Oasis. They only cost a few bucks and will last forever.

The version I have, has what you might describe as "sleeves" that very snugly slide up the back "ear hook" of your glasses and about half way up the arm itself, on both sides. It's stretchy neoprene, and provides a very snug fit when you put the glasses back on. They aren't going to fall anywhere.

The other kind, that have a simple loop that goes onto each arm of your glasses, are not secure enough. They are suitable for people who take their glasses off after reading and let them hang around the neck. Avoid these for Zip Line and other sporting usage.

We just did the Zip Line on Allure last week and it was fun and easy. We had done our waivers online and just went over the first day and there was no line. Like others have described if you already signed your waivers you just go to the port side, they slide your seapass card and you get suited up and go!

You can't have ANYTHING in your pockets or on you that's not attached. You also need real shoes, not slip ons or flip flops.

We got to go multiple times that first day since they weren't very busy we could just keep our harnesses on and go back and forth!

The limit was 275lbs, they didn't weigh everyone. I think only people that looked like they were close to that got weighed.

Thank you for posting the regulations. I dont want a repeat of our first cruise on Explorer about 10 years ago, when we didn't pack long pants and my kids were so disappointed that they couldn't ice skate. We usually don't pack "real shoes", so we would have been out of luck again!

There are cords designed for sporting uses with eyeglasses that work very well. I bought one several years ago at a sporting goods store (don't remember where, exactly), and used it last week on Oasis. They only cost a few bucks and will last forever.

The version I have, has what you might describe as "sleeves" that very snugly slide up the back "ear hook" of your glasses and about half way up the arm itself, on both sides. It's stretchy neoprene, and provides a very snug fit when you put the glasses back on. They aren't going to fall anywhere.

The other kind, that have a simple loop that goes onto each arm of your glasses, are not secure enough. They are suitable for people who take their glasses off after reading and let them hang around the neck. Avoid these for Zip Line and other sporting usage.

Thanks. The neoprene ones were the kind I was planning on getting!

What about sandals that have velcro straps, like Tevas? ARe those good enough or do they have to be closed in shoes like sneakers?

The rules also state you have to wear socks, so I guess I won't be wearing sandals with socks:rolleyes:

I did the zip line in Costa Rica. Would this be the same or more frightening?

Is there a place for someone to stand to take your picture?

The rules also state you have to wear socks, so I guess I won't be wearing sandals with socks:rolleyes:

I did the zip line in Costa Rica. Would this be the same or more frightening?

Is there a place for someone to stand to take your picture?

Why do they care if you are wearing socks? I can see it for the climbing wall since you are using their footwear. Since you are wearing your own shoes on the zip line the sock rule makes little sense.

What about sandals that have velcro straps, like Tevas? ARe those good enough or do they have to be closed in shoes like sneakers?

The issue is not only having your sandals fall off but protecting your toes if you hit the landing platform wrong. I would bet that close toed shoes are a requirement.

The zip line is a joke. If you've done it anywhere else you will be disappointed. It's too short and you go way too slow. Was a huge waste of time for me. I've done sun cities zip line though. So nothing compares to that. But save your time and do the one on labadee.

The zip line is a joke. If you've done it anywhere else you will be disappointed. It's too short and you go way too slow. Was a huge waste of time for me. I've done sun cities zip line though. So nothing compares to that. But save your time and do the one on labadee.

You know what? I have NOT done a zip line anywhere else. I AM excited. I don't care if it is short! IT IS FREE!!! How lovely for you that you have done fancy zip lines other places, but did you really need to rain on the parade of those of us who are excited to try the zip on Oasis/Allure?

Edited by cello56

That is a bit difficult for people doing the eastern route.

We were just on Oasis earlier this month. They have shoes you can borrow to wear on the zip line if you have socks. My middle son and I decided to do it again one day when I was wearing tevas and he had sneakers and socks. I fit into his shoes, so I told the guy after he goes, I will take his shoes and socks. The guy told me to just take his socks then I could wear their shoes...and my son could go with his sneakers without socks. The one thing I will note is that they are VERY strict about height and weight requirements! They did weigh everyone to figure out the proper harness for them...and as far as height, they will have kids take their shoes off and the bar has to hit their heads. I have done a big zip line before and while this isn't the same - it was fun! They tell you to put your feet down when you get to the yellow - I concentrated on it too much the first time that I missed seeing below me - so I had to do it again. LOL. Have fun - it is a great ship! Wish I was going back soon!