Sick after debarking February 6 Solstice Sailing

Mooregre

Hello: I wanted to pose this question to those sailing the Celebrity Solstice during the Noro outbreak. I have been ill since debarking the Solstice on February 13th. We were on the February 6th cruise (stateroom 1070). I have been diagnosed with a bad case of bronchitis and am having dizzy spells. Given that most bronchitis is caused by viruses, I was wondering if anyone has encountered similar symptoms (difficulty breathing, dizziness, cough, mucus). Perhaps it may have been caused by the deep cleaning done in and on the ship? I appreciate the steps Celebrity took in fighting the Noro virus and am only posing the question to determine if others encountered similar symptoms. Any and all comments are appreciated. I plan to also ask my doctor in a follow-up visit tomorrow. Best, Greg Moore

Absolutely: My wife got sick on Saturday evening and I was sick by Tuesday. It's been a week and I just went back to work. My wife's asthma was really bad with the bronchitisand it may be a few more days for her.

Many people get check colds and coughs while on or just after a cruise which is not Norovirus. Occasionally my wife or I get a cold on a cruise. And we are very careful what we touch and disinfect our hands often. Many times it's from the plane ride to the ship or back home.

Sorry to hear that you caught that infection after your cruise. The funny thing is that after the majority of all of our cruises, one of us has always come home with a similar "souvenir." Remember, the ship is like a small city and a breeding ground for all types of viruses. The best thing one can do is frequent hand washing and use a ton of Purell (or similar anti-bacterial agents), especially after handling the utensils in the buffet and also the remote control in your cabin. Wash your hands and use Purell after using the rails going up or down the stairs or the buttons in the elevators,etc. And, avoid touching your face. I realize this doesn't always prevent the spread of viral or bacterial illnesses, but we did not get sick on the last two cruises. I hope you are feeling better today and got a good report from the doctor.

Absolutely: My wife got sick on Saturday evening and I was sick by Tuesday. It's been a week and I just went back to work. My wife's asthma was really bad with the bronchitisand it may be a few more days for her.

I'm sorry. I haven't been back to work either and it's been pretty rough here. I will bring this up with my doctor today.

I was on the same cruise and am experiencing the same symptoms here. I haven't been to see a doctor to get diagnosed but have the same congestion issues. Started last Tuesday night and finally began to feel better yesterday.

This year there is a respriatory Flu (virus) going around all over the country. I know many people all over the country who have it.

It is certainly not something unique or even remotely caused by cruise ships or Celebrity.

When you travel you come in to contact with many more people than you would in your daily life. Your chances of getting sick increase. It is just simple math.

B.

This year there is a respriatory Flu (virus) going around all over the country. I know many people all over the country who have it.

It is certainly not something unique or even remotely caused by cruise ships or Celebrity.

When you travel you come in to contact with many more people than you would in your daily life. Your chances of getting sick increase. It is just simple math.

B.

I would not think ANY particular cruise line would be the cause of this. It is just that you have plus or minus 3,000 people in close quarters and the viral infections spread quite easily if there are already infected people on board. We have gotten pneumonia twice on our various cruises and another family member also had it who was traveling with us, not to mention just plain bronchial infections/colds. On the longer cruises that we take, it it very easily passed around no matter what the season is. You just hope for the best!

Right now it seems as if everyone I know either has (or had) an upper respiratory illness OR a GI bug right now. Winter time, close quarters and all that.

Also, I often come down w/ an URI after a cruise the first 24 to 48 hours after being home. But it could as easily be from the airport, the airplane, the shuttle to the parking lot. I do believe traveling puts a strain on the immune system. Disturbed sleep patterns, too much alcohol, different and very rich foods, visiting foreign countries, too much sun. Certainly not limited to cruising or any line in particular.

We were on the Feb 6 sailing too and started having cold symptoms a couple of days after we returned home. A few days later it had evolved into a full-fledged cold. We are gradually getting better now. I assume it had more to do with the cesspool Fort Lauderdale airport and plane than Celebrity. After all, we used enough hand sanitizer on the ship to take off a layer of skin.

This is cold and flu season. Most of the people in my neighborhood are sick or are recovering from some virus. Chances of getting sick at this time of year are pretty good. Add that to the confinement on a ship with thousands of people, you're in the minority if you don't get sick.

Don't forget that there are different strains of certain viruses that crop up in different regions. When traveling one exposes themselves to a mix of strains that they don't see on a regular basis at home. Add that to the stress of a plane trip, time zones, change in diet etc... and people will get sick.

As far as the "deep cleaning" causing airway irritation--I was on the 2/6 sailing and don't know what they use, but I didn't notice any volatile irritants from anything not associated with other passengers. I think Celebrity did an exemplary job of keeping that ship as healthy as possible.

I came down with this on debarkation day of our last cruise on Princess. Since we were staying in Palm Beach for a week before coming home, I spent the whole week in and out of doctors offices. Worst week ever.

Many people I know have the same symptoms now and none of them have been on a cruise. It's that time of year and it's going around.

Same here. lots of bronchitis here this year, and many cases seem to hang on for weeks, even in nonsmokers.

I was on the 2/6 sailing on the Solstice as well. I have had a bit of a cough for about 10 days now, no fever, no GI issues, I don't think it's bronchitis just annoying, could have caught it anywhere, on the ship, on the plane, in the airport, etc etc. I wouldn't necessarily blame the cruise line. Tis the season, went from 3 degree weather to 80's, then into air conditioning, hot cold hot cold, then to a ridiculously crowded airport, then flew on a plane with people coughing the whole way back to Connecticut.

My wife has been 100% fine, no sickness of any kind. Who knows.

Welcome to winter :) I have been sick for the last week and sadly, I didn't get it on a cruise, as I haven't gone on one. You can pick up viruses anywhere! Also, physiologically, you are more likely to get sick after you relax. This is the case because your body creates cortisols to fight off viruses and illnesses when you are stressed. When you relax, the amount of cortisol your body creates decreases and the "bugs" your body was actively fighting are now able to attack. End result? You get sick! This is why most college students typically get sick over winter break and spring break!

Either way, no matter how you picked up your sickness, I hope you feel better!

Archived