fuel supplements?

gene g

In 2009 I paid it for my cruise in Feb and also for April BUT by the time April cruised rolled around the charge was dropped and I was refunded on my credit card . It was $9 for Pax 1 & 2 and I believe $5 for Pax 3 in Feb 2009 if I remember correctly. For the April cruise that year I had 2 people in a Balcony and 2 people in an inside so it was the full rate so it was a nice to get that credit after I got home!

The oil is climbing rapidly so I may discover that all my ES-OBC goes to cover the fuel supplement. So much for my massage!

Oh no no no no no no.......you can't trade your massage for fuel!!! That would be just wrong! certainly something else can go!

I asked this question of John Heald on his Facebook yesterday. He replied that Carnival has no immediate plans to reinstate it. He did go on to say that with the Middle East crisis, "it is certainly an option that if prices do not settle that the industry may have to consider again."

Just thought I'd share.

Yup, they sure have. We paid it for our 2009 cruise, but then oil went down, so they lifted it and we got the credit! Now, we didn't pay it for our April cruise, and are hoping it stays that way, but it's not looking good. They do clearly state in multiple places that they "reserve the right to reinstate"...So we just plan on it and hope not to see it!

Us too. Hoping our April cruise happens before the fuel charge!

I think it was $9/person the last time, and I would be very surprised if Carnival doesn't announce the return of this by this summer.

I'd have to disagree that we are already paying for it with the base fare (though, I think it should be that way) as the cost of cruising has come down quite a bit from the cost we paid in 2007 for our first cruise.

I am still a firm believer that we are already paying for it. I think they have included it the base price of the cruise and fee's.

You can believe as firmly as you want whatever you want. But to assume that a cruise line that books a year in advance will price in a the impact of a coup in Egypt and the craziness in Libya is not realistic. Cruises are price competitive and it is in Carnival's interest to price its cruises competitively while giving it the ability to protect itself if prices rise above a certain level.

Having said that, one reason a fuel surcharge may not be implemented is that some major consumers of fuel oil have contracted for future delivery of some of its oil needs at a particular price. This will enable them to set their costs with a degree of certainty. So the fuel for my April 2011 cruise may have been contracted in April of 2010 at a price given market conditions at that time - plus some premium for risk. It is more likely that the current spike in prices will be reflected in higher prices for 2012 cruises.

Let's hope they get M. Gadhafi OUT within a few days

so things can settle down, and we won't be seeing much more of this!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/24/markets/oil/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

Hopefully this is a temporary blip in the oil markets

and Oil futures will go back down to a sane $75-85/bbl price range, within a month or so.

I have a Carnival cruise booked mid-April and don't need to pay any extra! :cool:

-nor do any of us in here, I'm sure.

I think it was $9/person the last time, and I would be very surprised if Carnival doesn't announce the return of this by this summer.

It was $9 and I think $5 a day for pax 3/4/5.

It started off at $5 a day with nothing for the extra pax..so Im hoping it starts off like that again, slow..

Carnival reserves the right to hit pax with the surcharge at ANY time. Here is the reponse I got from John Heald when I asked:

. I can though mate tell you that fuel is our biggest expense and with prices heading over $100 a barrell it is certainly something we are looking at closley. However, as I write I can tell you there are no plans to return to the fuel supplements and lets hope I can say the same in the days ahead. Cheers Eddie"

Carnival reserves the right to hit pax with the surcharge at ANY time. Here is the reponse I got from John Heald when I asked:

. I can though mate tell you that fuel is our biggest expense and with prices heading over $100 a barrell it is certainly something we are looking at closley. However, as I write I can tell you there are no plans to return to the fuel supplements and lets hope I can say the same in the days ahead. Cheers Eddie"

:eek: Please just raise the cruise prices. I don't want to have to worry about paying extra! I like to know my budget a head of time!

However, I am coimpletely aware that Carnival can add this extra supplement at any time. It just makes me nervous to know that this can take a chunk out of my spending budget onboard.:(

:eek: Please just raise the cruise prices. I don't want to have to worry about paying extra! I like to know my budget a head of time!

However, I am coimpletely aware that Carnival can add this extra supplement at any time. It just makes me nervous to know that this can take a chunk out of my spending budget onboard.:(

Budget in an additional $10 a day and maybe you will be pleasently suprised.

Isnt it 10 a day per person?

Actually its "up to $9 per day per person".

Dont know where people keep getting this $10 (one said $15 elsewhere) and people keep correcting them.

In actuality, it got up to $9 for first two pax, and $5 for pax 3/4/5... and I believe oil got close to $150 a barrel.

I can help you. Send me a check for $180. If the fuel supplement fee is reinstated, I will pay it for you.

Plan on paying it, and look at the bright side...if they don't add it, you'll have that much more money left over :D

Archived