Dressy shoe dilemma!

kmflutist

Hi everyone! I am trying to figure out what kind of shoes to wear on formal night and would love some opinions. I am 5'10" and my husband is 5'8". :eek: I will be wearing a black knee-length dress with a little bit of rhinestone embellishment at the empire waist. I would LOVE to get a great pair of strappy heels to go with it but I'm already taller than my husband and am quite self-conscious about that. At the same time, I feel like flats would look downright silly. I just don't know..... anyone? :)

I would also love an opinion about the color. I know I can do black, but would silver be silly?

I wouldn't wear heels. I would probably wear a dressy pair of silver sandals. That way, it's still classy, but you aren't towering over him.

A few ideas... :)

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/coconuts+tornado+sandal?prodId=211951&productRef=SEARCH

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/madden+girl+aerro+sandal?prodId=205756&productRef=SEARCH

Hi everyone! I am trying to figure out what kind of shoes to wear on formal night and would love some opinions. I am 5'10" and my husband is 5'8". :eek: I will be wearing a black knee-length dress with a little bit of rhinestone embellishment at the empire waist. I would LOVE to get a great pair of strappy heels to go with it but I'm already taller than my husband and am quite self-conscious about that. At the same time, I feel like flats would look downright silly. I just don't know..... anyone? :)

I would also love an opinion about the color. I know I can do black, but would silver be silly?

I Love love love red shoes with a black dress. :o It's unexpected. I have several black dresses that I love to wear, and I never wear black or even gold or silver shoes with them. I have a pair of coral heels from several years ago that are great with black too. Black's a neutral, so you can pretty much wear any color you want with it.

Have fun!

Thanks! I kinda was thinking about trying to find a dressy pair of silver sandals (flats). What do you think of the plain ballet style flats that seem to be such a hit lately?

Although they can be cute, I personally don't consider them formal. I don't want to offend anyone, because everyone has different body types and looks great in different things! But personally, especially for a tropical cruise!, I would go for something a little more summer looking :)

Although they can be cute, I personally don't consider them formal. I don't want to offend anyone, because everyone has different body types and looks great in different things! But personally, especially for a tropical cruise!, I would go for something a little more summer looking :)

I hear ya! I like the silver sandal idea. I will definitely look into that. See? That's why I came here! :D The more I think about the ballet flats, they might accentuate my chubby calves. I HATE my calves! :(

I Love love love red shoes with a black dress. :o It's unexpected. I have several black dresses that I love to wear, and I never wear black or even gold or silver shoes with them. I have a pair of coral heels from several years ago that are great with black too. Black's a neutral, so you can pretty much wear any color you want with it.

Have fun!

Wow. I never would have thought of red. That might be fun to try! :)

I'll add myself to the silver sandal group or a pale platinum sandal. I really liked some of the ones linked above. I'm not sure how the really wide ankle strap will look though. I think one needs a slender leg to look good in that style and I have no idea if that look would flatter the OP or not. I KNOW it wouldn't flatter me but I sure do wish it did.

I made the mistake of buying kitten heels thinking the same thing...since

I have the same problem with being taller than my hubby (but it doesn't bother him :p)

Anyway, I would suggest trying on in a store and walking on smooth floors...walk out to the isle if you hav to. When I went out in them I couldnt walk well or keep them on my feet...maybe it was the angle...I dont know..but it was very awkward :rolleyes:

I'm so glad many of you think silver will be ok. I was thinking that the metals are really in too and after I showed my mom my dress and asked if she thought silver would work, she said she would only do black. I finally decided to take into consideration that although I'm very conservative, she is WAY moreso. I think silver will be fun. To the other poster doing silver with blue...I bet the combo will be very pretty together!

To those who are telling me to be proud of my height, I hear ya. I have been trying to get that into my head for the past few years, but when someone once took a full length photo of my husband and I with me wearing just 1 inch heels, I was towering over him. It also doesn't help that he's really petite and skinny for a dude, and I'm "bigger boned." :o I'm not huge, mind you, but it just adds to the uneasiness.

I think I'm sold on those cute little silver sandals I found (however I AM going to look into the kitten heels ... never had time to do that yesterday). They're definitely dressy and even have a little clunky 1 incher on the back which dresses them up even more.

Add my vote for kitten heel. I like silver shoes when wearing rhinestones. I would avoid a flip-flop type though and get something with straps (more stable). Not gladiators, though, I think of those as a "day" shoe.

I bought a pair of acid-green strappy sandals on a whim, and now they go everywhere with me. The color is so outrageous they kind of "go" with everything. And they look super for evening with a metallic polish on my toes. :)

Archived