How do you carry your passport etc.. on excursions?

ahutchins9

Ok folks, some of you know I am somewhat outspoken about not carrying passports unless it is absolutely necessary. For those of you that think its a good idea to carry your passports you might want to look at the Ports/Italy Board under the topic

"FCO => Civitavecchia Port?" Near the bottom of this thread (I think it is on page 3) you can read about the horror story of a couple that had their luggage and passports stolen (along with everything else) on a train in Italy as they were heading to their cruise. Not only were they not permitted to board the RCI cruise ship, they claim that the cruise line did very little to give them help. Having had their passport stolen meant they missed their cruise and incurred lots of expenses.

Hank

While not exactly reflected on this thread, 99% of international travelers recognize the fact that passports are the most valuable document a U.S. citizen can have. It is also worth thousands of dollars to those who steal them in other countries. If required to take your passport off of the ship, make certain that you have purchased a safety device from a travel store to make certain that your passport cannot be stolen. NEVER show your original passport while ashore to anyone other than the authorities.

Do not take your passport with you just in case you miss the ship. The odds of missing the ship is MUCH less than your passport being stolen. If there were a true emergency while ashore, the ship can be contacted and will leave your passport with the port authority. There is no risk in taking a copy of your passport.

Edited by Travelcat2

Generally I take my cruise card, a credit card (BTW you may want to call the Credit card company and inform them you are traveling abroad; one of mine stopped all charges until I notified them that I was on vacation), my license and some cash. We just use a wallet or a water wallet if we're at the beach.

One good rule of thumb is to never ever wear or carry anything with the ship logo on it ashore - this identifies you as a cruise tourist and makes you an easy target for theft as they know you will probably not have the time to locate local law enforcement and press charges. Saw a lot of pickpockets in Romania who went after the passengers with HAL tote bags. About 22 people in total were robbed; most had the tote bags or hats with the HAL logo or ship name.

I think a good happy medium is to not take the original but take a photocopy. That way if you get stranded your not completely SOL and if you get it stolen you still have back up.

Actually, to use a copy to replace your old one yes, but to use as ID or to catch a flight should you miss the ship or have an accident and need to stay and fly home (my aunts story) a photo copy will not due.

If I'm left behind, I want my passport to go right to the nearest airport and hop on a plane to the next port, a photocopy will not get you on that plane.

Leave the original on the ship has risks too. Decide what you are willing to risk.

Do not take your passport with you just in case you miss the ship. The odds of missing the ship is MUCH less than your passport being stolen

Actually how likely are you to have a passport stolen???

To date this year 291,000 passports have been issued with a total of 15,652 recorded lost, mislaid or stolen. (see the entire article here dated 1/30/2011):

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/jul/05/alarming-rise-in-stolen-passports-on-black-market/

According to my math that is 5.38 % (15,652 of 291,000) and actually less because some of those were "mislaid" or "lost"!

Your chances of an accident is higher, or some other delay.....so I am not sure I buy your arguement that you are more likely to have it stolen.

AND.....take the same precautions you do with your money and credit cards and demeaner once in a port visit and your chances go down even more.

If there were a true emergency while ashore, the ship can be contacted and will leave your passport with the port authority.

This isn't true, my aunt could not contact the ship and the passport sailed away. The accident was more important and no one thought to "contact the ship". So you can say that but emergencies happen....

There is no risk in taking a copy of your passport.

This is your opinion. Mine is there is a risk, you risk that in given situations your "copy" is not accepted and will not get you what you want. If a copy allowed you the same access as the original no one would steal the originals.....

I have traveled extensively in many third world countries, including a couple of 3 week + stints in Southeast Asia. I ALWAYS have my passport on me. I would never leave it in the ship. What if you have an accident and need to be airlifted out of a foreign country? A copy of your passport will do you no good, and you do not want to be waiting on the embassy to make you another.

You can buy an inexpensive thin, fabric "neck wallet" that will hold your passport under your clothes. Or a money belt, same idea. I always use this. I will be *wearing* my passport, my husband's, and my son's. Nobody is going to steal it from me...I think I'd notice a stranger's hands coming up under my bra!

In my opinion, leaving your passport in the ship's safe is foolish. NO other ID is accepted in a foreign country if you need to fly back to the US. Take your passport with you while in port. Wear it discreetly under your clothing. It will not be stolen.

I have traveled extensively in many third world countries, including a couple of 3 week + stints in Southeast Asia. I ALWAYS have my passport on me. I would never leave it in the ship. What if you have an accident and need to be airlifted out of a foreign country? A copy of your passport will do you no good, and you do not want to be waiting on the embassy to make you another.

You can buy an inexpensive thin, fabric "neck wallet" that will hold your passport under your clothes. Or a money belt, same idea. I always use this. I will be *wearing* my passport, my husband's, and my son's. Nobody is going to steal it from me...I think I'd notice a stranger's hands coming up under my bra!

In my opinion, leaving your passport in the ship's safe is foolish. NO other ID is accepted in a foreign country if you need to fly back to the US. Take your passport with you while in port. Wear it discreetly under your clothing. It will not be stolen.

Thank you, exactly what I have been saying!!!

I've learned so much from these boards the past few months. We're taking our first cruise this Sunday. The passport question sure seems hot. I'm still at a loss as to what I'll do. I think I'll probably take ours when we leave the ship. It does make sense to have them on you when you are in a foreign country. Maybe after this cruise I'll reconsider.

It's like the laptop question, seems like everyone has their own reasons, period. :)

I've learned so much from these boards the past few months. We're taking our first cruise this Sunday. The passport question sure seems hot. I'm still at a loss as to what I'll do. I think I'll probably take ours when we leave the ship. It does make sense to have them on you when you are in a foreign country. Maybe after this cruise I'll reconsider.

It's like the laptop question, seems like everyone has their own reasons, period. :)

Let me float this for you as a hypothetical and then I'll simmer down on the topic.

Let's say my DH and I are on a tour. We left our passports on the ship. DH has a serious, acute health issue. We are able to be removed from the tour location to a hospital somewhere in a foreign country. I, of course, do not leave my DH's side. After a period of hours, maybe even a full day, it is determined that DH needs to stay overnight in the hospital. The cruise ship has long since left the port. At this point, we either need to get DH to the next port of call or call the trip a wash and head back home.

How are you going to get your passport to fly ANYWHERE in this scenario?

Are you okay with contacting an embassy (do you know where it is and how you would get there?), waiting in lines, dealing with a delay to get a replacement passport for you and your partner while they are in hospital?

Extreme? Maybe. But you could have had your passport in a neck wallet under your clothes the whole time.

Had to laugh about the person talking about accidents in third world countries. I have lived in third world countries...and if you have an accident you will often find that everything of value on your person (especially a passport) will quickly disappear before you get to the hospital. But there is a point lost on this thread (and some others) about the nature of cruising. When traveling in many foreign waters (this is not an issue in the Caribbean) the cruise ship will often take your passport at embarkation and hold them until the last couple of days of your cruise. The reason is that the purser often needs all the passports to get the ship cleared at various ports.

The most valuable info for a cruise passenger is to know the name and phone number of your ship's agent. This info is usually on the daily schedule and is also available at the guest relations desk. We do a lot of independent travel in ports and always take that info as well as a cell phone number that can reach the ship (this info is also available at te guest relations desk). If we knew that we would miss the ship we simply call the ship or the agent and ask for our passports to be held by the local agent (we can pick them up later). If in the EU where we really do not need a passport, and assuming we can catch-up to the ship the following day, we call the ship and tell them we will catch them tomorrow (we do not need a passport to survive within the EU). We do carry a photocopy of our main passport page which is good to have when checking-in to a hotel.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Had to laugh about the person talking about accidents in third world countries. I have lived in third world countries...and if you have an accident you will often find that everything of value on your person (especially a passport) will quickly disappear before you get to the hospital. But there is a point lost on this thread (and some others) about the nature of cruising. When traveling in many foreign waters (this is not an issue in the Caribbean) the cruise ship will often take your passport at embarkation and hold them until the last couple of days of your cruise. The reason is that the purser often needs all the passports to get the ship cleared at various ports.

Hank

It doesn't have to be a third world country. It could be Canada. It could be Bermuda. It could be Spain. No passport? No easy way to fly home quickly, for you or your travel companions.

I'm sorry about your personal experiences with theft in underdeveloped nations. That has not mirrored my own in Southeast Asia within the past five years.

We will be going on our first cruise in August. I was wondering what is the best way to carry your passport, ss card, id, money etc..... when you get to port?

I don't take my passport with me at the port stops. The rest is in my wallet.

• 2 weeks later...
What about kids? Their passport is really their only photo ID. Do they allow kids back on without id?

Yes. Most cruise lines do not require government ID for people under the age of 16. I have also heard of some school aged children using their school ID cards, since schools are viewed as government agencies.

One time I forgot my driver's license, but had a credit card with my picture on it. I used that without any problem. I have not forgot my driver's license since.

Yes. Most cruise lines do not require government ID for people under the age of 16. I have also heard of some school aged children using their school ID cards, since schools are viewed as government agencies.

One time I forgot my driver's license, but had a credit card with my picture on it. I used that without any problem. I have not forgot my driver's license since.

Hold on....KNOW before you GO....you better read the requirements of your specific cruise before you assume your children do not need a passport.

I've never heard of a cruise ship taking a credit card with your picture on it as your ID nor have I heard of a cruise ship sailing to foreign ports taking a school ID. Cruise lines are beefing up their security, I certainly wouldn't count on that. Birth certificates are usually requires in the very least.......

Read the fine print and document requirements well before your sailing date.

What about kids? Their passport is really their only photo ID. Do they allow kids back on without id?

Hold on....KNOW before you GO....you better read the requirements of your specific cruise before you assume your children do not need a passport.

I've never heard of a cruise ship taking a credit card with your picture on it as your ID nor have I heard of a cruise ship sailing to foreign ports taking a school ID. Cruise lines are beefing up their security, I certainly wouldn't count on that. Birth certificates are usually requires in the very least.......

Read the fine print and document requirements well before your sailing date.

Talk about reading. You did not read the question I was answering. The question I was responding to asked about getting BACK on board. Not the initial boarding. You do not need your passport to get BACK on board. You only need it for the initial boarding and when you return to the US.

For cruises to Canada, Alaska, Mexico and the Caribbean ...

The cruise ship will use your room key as your ID. Thus you don't need any other form of ID while on the ship. However, sometimes you need government ID to get into the secured port area after you have left the secured port area. Having forgotten my driver's license I just a credit card with my picture on it. To get BACK on the ship I used my room key. You do not use your passport to re-board the ship.

School aged children do NOT need a picture ID to get BACK into the secured port area. People over the age of 16 sometimes do, and any government issued picture ID is acceptable.

There is no need to take your passport or birth certificate off the ship until you return to the US.

many cruises we took our passports with us and then the last few left them in the safe and took copies, but reading this thread i think we are going back to carrying them with us...to many things can happen and a copy probably isnt going to do the job...i think i will go with my original feelings of "not going anywhere without it"!

i cant remember where we were--maybe canada on our cruise and we were specifically asked at the gate near the port for our passports--we had them.

Talk about reading. Be nice, I missed that... You did not read the question I was answering. The question I was responding to asked about getting BACK on board. Not the initial boarding. You do not need your passport to get BACK on board. You only need it for the initial boarding and when you return to the US.

AND....while traveling around at ports....FACT: Passports are the only form of accepted ID in a foreign country, period.

If you decide to travel around without this ID it's a choice your are making and comes with some risks.

OF COURSE, when the cruise ships take your passports and hold them you have NO choice, but when given a choice many people wouldn't go into port without carrying it.

For cruises to Canada, Alaska, Mexico and the Caribbean ...

The cruise ship will use your room key as your ID. Thus you don't need any other form of ID while on the ship. However, sometimes you need government ID to get into the secured port area after you have left the secured port area. Having forgotten my driver's license I just a credit card with my picture on it. To get BACK on the ship I used my room key. You do not use your passport to re-board the ship.

I have never heard of using a CC with your picture on it or a drivers license to get in and out of port secured areas. Anyone else every hear of that?

School aged children do NOT need a picture ID to get BACK into the secured port area. People over the age of 16 sometimes do, and any government issued picture ID is acceptable.

There is no need to take your passport or birth certificate off the ship until you return to the US.

You opinion only.

This is the debate, not a fact. A fact is: The ONLY form of international ID is a passport.

As for myself and many others, I take valid ID whenever I travel. Passports would serve as ID for children, and perhaps and I don't know about this, Birth certificates.

In the unexpected cases of accident, missing the ship, delays, any emergency which may cause you to miss the ship, you want to have a passport on you.

many cruises we took our passports with us and then the last few left them in the safe and took copies, but reading this thread i think we are going back to carrying them with us...to many things can happen and a copy probably isnt going to do the job...i think i will go with my original feelings of "not going anywhere without it"!

i cant remember where we were--maybe canada on our cruise and we were specifically asked at the gate near the port for our passports--we had them.

Exactly, and like you, I don't know of any port that takes a credit card as ID to get in and out of port secure areas.

AND I hope not, geez, that would mean the port area isn't really secure, anyone can forge a credit card.

[/color]

You opinion only.

This is the debate, not a fact. A fact is: The ONLY form of international ID is a passport.

As for myself and many others, I take valid ID whenever I travel. Passports would serve as ID for children, and perhaps and I don't know about this, Birth certificates.

In the unexpected cases of accident, missing the ship, delays, any emergency which may cause you to miss the ship, you want to have a passport on you.

I've been on seventeen cruises visiting over fifty ports. That you don't need your passport in the Caribbean and Canadian ports is a fact. I've never taken mine with me and I have never been asked for it except in the ship's home port, where I show it before getting my room key on embarkation day and as I am leaving the terminal on debarkation day.

Would I need the passport if I missed the ship - yes. However, I am more worried about having the passport get lost, stolen or damaged if I take it with me than I am about missing the ship. As I said, I've been on seventeen cruises visiting more than fifty ports and I have yet to miss the ship. Each and every time the passport has remained safely in the room safe.

Exactly, and like you, I don't know of any port that takes a credit card as ID to get in and out of port secure areas.

It worked for me the one and only time I did it. Whether you've heard of it or not. In fact, there are many ports where you don't need any ID, just your room key.

Edited by Cuizer2

I'm not getting into this debate. You can all argue with your capital letters, highlighted quotes and color fonts. The fact is that on our Med cruise on the Equinox, Celebrity took all of our passports upon embarkation and returned them to us on the next to last day of the cruise.

What happens in other places or on other lines, I can't say. All I know is that there are no absolutes (except that one).

I'm not getting into this debate. You can all argue with your capital letters, highlighted quotes and color fonts. The fact is that on our Med cruise on the Equinox, Celebrity took all of our passports upon embarkation and returned them to us on the next to last day of the cruise.

What happens in other places or on other lines, I can't say. All I know is that there are no absolutes (except that one).

Well then, I guess you didn't have to worry about how you were going to carry your passport on an excursion (which is the question that started this thread - some people don't seem to realize that however).