Rome to Civi, ship leaves at 10 pm

realtrip

Hi

We would love to maximize our time in Rome but we certainly don't want to miss the ship:eek:.

When do you suggest we leave Rome? I figure if the ship leaves at 10, they will want us on board by 9:30. We will be taking the train.

Thank you!

I get spending max time in Rome but the port is about an hour train ride from Rome...and the Italian train system is good but its also italy so strikes and crap happen...you also have to get from the station to the ship..quick if there is a cab available but you may have to walk at least to the port entrance about 15 minutes away..I would give myself a buffer of at least one missed train

are you flying in that morning..if so I would try and stay at least one night to give more time in rome

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

We will be getting off the ship in Civi. in the morning. Hoping to get on the train at 8:41 am. Then head back to the ship in the evening. This is a port of call for us. We only get the one day. But, my no 1 priority is NOT missing the ship. That would not be a good memory of Rome:eek:.

I would really appreciate your opinion. Which train would you take to get back to the ship?

Thanks!

much easier to do without luggage....there is a link on cruise critic somewheres with a review giving the whole trip with pictures..shows where to get the train etc.

there is a train ticket that is around 9 euros that is return into Rome and covers metro and buses in rome for the day as well..just remember to validate it using the yellow box in the station

i will try and find it and link it on this thread.

train has a stop by the vatican..san pietro I think is the name..if the vatican is a must see that would be a good first stop

going to be really hard to see more than the highlights in a day...pick 3 or 4 of your must sees and everything else is gravy.

The safe rule of thumb is to figure out which is the last train you could take and make your ship allowing time for the walk to the port bus, than take the train scheduled right before that one. That give you a backup in the event that you miss the first train.

Kirk

You would really not have time to enjoy dinner in Rome and get to your ship with a sufficient margin of error. Assuming you will have been staying in a hotel we would suggest asking the concierge or bellman to hold your luggage for the day. Enjoy your day in Rome but plan on leaving for the port by 5 pm at the latest. You need to allow for late (or even cancelled trains). Once you get to Civitavecchia it will take you about 10 - 15 min to get to the port entrance (you will be rolling your luggage for more then 4 blocks). Once at the port entrance you need to figure on a wait for the bus so by the time you get to your ship, go through the normal embarkation procedures and get to your cabin it will probably be at least 7. At this point you can freshen-up (you will not have your luggage) and go grab some dinner (much cheaper than trying to grab a very early dinner in Rome). With a 10pm departure we have no clue as to when you will need to suffer through the life boat drill and that is another factor.

Hank

The safe rule of thumb is to figure out which is the last train you could take and make your ship allowing time for the walk to the port bus, than take the train scheduled right before that one. That give you a backup in the event that you miss the first train.

Kirk

This is good advice and is my guiding principle when going it on my own in any port where public transportation is used and the port is a good distance from the town/city being visited.

The OP stated this is a port stop; they are not embarking here.

Thank you everyone.

As I mentioned this is a port stop. 5 O'clock does seem early. I checked the train schedules, obviously I will check again in June but I think 7:09 would work. We would get to Civi at around 8:15, walk or bus and shuttle and be back before our 9:30 curfew. Is this cutting it too close?

We will grab supper on board at the buffet I suppose.

Again thank you for your help.

Manon

Thank you everyone.

As I mentioned this is a port stop. 5 O'clock does seem early. I checked the train schedules, obviously I will check again in June but I think 7:09 would work. We would get to Civi at around 8:15, walk or bus and shuttle and be back before our 9:30 curfew. Is this cutting it too close?

We will grab supper on board at the buffet I suppose.

Again thank you for your help.

Manon

We also have the 10 pm disembarcation time (Carnival Magic). I was thinking that the 7:09 train would be safe . But we may head back a bit earlier. It's a long day and we are doing a walking tour and getting a late lunch. So, we'll probably get the 5:39 pm train that gets back at 7:06 and be back on the ship close to 7:30 and then grab a late dinner on the ship in anytime dining. We have a port day in Naples and are getting up early to catch a hydrofoil to Capri the next day. While I appreciate the extra hours Carnival gives in Rome, we're not going to use all of those extra hours.

Thank you for your perspective .Ljberkow.

As I sit comfortably at my computer, walking for ten hours sounds like a piece of cake. :D

But you are right, we may end up exhausted and want to head back early, another long day awaits us in Naples too!

It's good to get others thoughts!

We too are on the Magic, in June.

Can't wait!!!!!

Thank you for your perspective .Ljberkow.

As I sit comfortably at my computer, walking for ten hours sounds like a piece of cake. :D

But you are right, we may end up exhausted and want to head back early, another long day awaits us in Naples too!

It's good to get others thoughts!

We too are on the Magic, in June.

Can't wait!!!!!

Well, hopefully, you're not walking ten hours. Our three-hour walking tour of Ancient Rome doesn't start until 10:30 and lasts three hours. We plan to get a nice sit down lunch before three hours at Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, shopping for my wife and daughter ( :eek:), and maybe see some other things and get a couple of gelato breaks. It's a great opportunity to do a day on your own. But we are going to pay about 85 euros for the family for the walking tour of Ancient Rome. We did a driver guide service Rome tour last summer. But we are more looking forward to our day in Rome this summer. We have to wait until the beginning of August.

Archived