Puffins in Alaska

waquiltcruiser

I would have loved to see puffins, but, in 3 trips to Alaska, have seen virtually NOTHING. A few eagles (I'm in WA, too, and we have them here), what I was told were whales and one opportunistic seal at the Juneau salmon hatchery. Very disappointing.

We took Captain Davey's (Ester G) on a 4 hour Eco Tour to St Lazaius Island.The tour is in Sitka,but he only takes 6 people(friends we meet on our Amsterdam Roll Call).We saw Piffins,Oyster Divers, Eagles ,Hawks and so many other birds.Also saw a Grey Whale, Seals, and Otters.It is a great tour,but sells out fast

Sitka is probably the only place on that itinerary that you could see puffins (we did!), particularly near St. Lazaria Island. We did the tour with Capt. Davy as did alpal - it was great! Water was too rough the day we were there, so we all opted not to go to St. Laz, BUT he would have taken us had we asked. And yes, you will see puffins there! We also saw our first ever grey whale in Sitka last year, plus several humpbacks, a slew of eagles - including several teaching some eaglets to fish. Capt. Davy's website is puffinsandwhales.com. He's a wonderful, colorful, enthusiastic individual - and his wife makes THE best fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies that she and their kids delivered to the boat before we went out on our excursion. Highly recommend!

Not in the ports you list. Definitely out out of Seward or Homer.

We'll be calling at Homer and Kodiak during September. I've tried to determine whether or not there are any particular excursions in these ports that offer a high probability of seeing puffins, but so far haven't been able to learn anything. If anyone has any knowledge concerning this in either of these ports or Sitka, I'd appreciate your help very much.

When we were in Glacier Bay a few years ago, there were lots of puffins on the small ice flows that floated by. There were also four or five eagles also sitting on the small bits of ice. I am not sure if we were very lucky to see them, but the Naturalist on board, did make a point of pointing them out.

Edited by TTFromSommersTown

I also did the tour with capt. Davy in Sitka. We saw a few puffins during the tour but not too many. We were AK in Sept. and had heard that the puffins might not be around. The waters around Sitka can be rough so if you go out on the Esther-G, bear in mind that she is a small boat and prone to rocking. One of the woman on our tour got really sea sick despite taking some medicine for it.

I'm interested in seeing Puffins in the wild. We are going on a cruise to Junuea, Ketchikan, and Sitka. Will we see Puffins or is this a bird closer to the Artic? Thanks for any help.

Off the subject - you do want to go to the quilt shop in Ketchikan - it's on the second floor (there is an elevator) of Salmon Landing, right on the pier.

We'll be calling at Homer and Kodiak during September. I've tried to determine whether or not there are any particular excursions in these ports that offer a high probability of seeing puffins, but so far haven't been able to learn anything. If anyone has any knowledge concerning this in either of these ports or Sitka, I'd appreciate your help very much.

We stopped in Homer on HAL's 14 day Amsterdam cruise last summer and saw tons of puffins at very close range. We went on the Guided Natural History Hiking Tour offered by the nonprofit Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies (http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/guided-tours.html). The tour started with a small boat ride across Kachemak Bay. The boat came very close to Gull Island, appropriately named for the numerous gulls that live there, but which also is the nesting area for a large group of puffins. The boat slowed down so that we were able to see the puffin nests and baby puffins, as well as the adults in the water nearby. There are numerous tours in Homer that include a boat ride across Kachemak Bay, and most of them intentionally pass close to Gull Island to view the puffins. I do highly recommend the CACS Guided Natural History Hiking Tour, if it interests you.

If you stop in Seward, a visit to the wildlife refuge center is in order. Entrance fee is under $10.00. They have a bird sanctuary there and a rather famous Puffin named Sebastian. Sebastian is a ham actor, he loves attention and actually poses for pictures.

We stopped in Homer on HAL's 14 day Amsterdam cruise last summer and saw tons of puffins at very close range. We went on the Guided Natural History Hiking Tour offered by the nonprofit Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies (http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/guided-tours.html).

Thanks, epixx. Appreciate your recommendation very much. What time of year did you see all these puffins? I've heard that earlier in the cruising season is better, but September was the only time that worked for us.

Thanks, epixx. Appreciate your recommendation very much. What time of year did you see all these puffins? I've heard that earlier in the cruising season is better, but September was the only time that worked for us.

I wouldn't worry. We were there August 21st, I believe. You'll love Homer. Have a wonderful trip!

Puffins may be seen in the waters around Sitka---but you have to have eagle eye's or Captain Davey watching! We saw a few, but the swells were high in the open ocean--and yes, Davey's boat is not very big so can really pitch around on the water. Another bird sighting opportunity --in Ketchikan there is a corner that has a local artists market and the local bird rehab center usually has birds on display there. In the past it has included a bald eagle, a very small owl (who was adorable!) and another bird of prey. They aren't puffins, but to get close to those birds and support their rehab efforts is worth a visit. The birds are gorgeous and even though I see a lot of eagle's where I live--it was special to be so close! It's a visit I make everytime I am in Ketchikan! :D