Appropriate dress on HAL ships

ISurfTooMuch

When my DH and I are traveling and not necessarily on a cruise, he always brings a blue blazer and sone nice pants and I always bring at least one nice outfit. We do this because we never know if we might want to attend a fine restaurent and we want to be dressed appropriately.

“Appropriate” is another one of those words that irritate me. What is appropriate? We all know in our own ways what isn’t but what is? Jeans and flip flops are not for one but maybe in some areas of the world it is? People in Bermuda wear shorts to everything? Is that not appropriate? Scottish wear dresses…er … I mean kilts, is that OK? Now I know this opens the door for those who, once again know what they do not like but isn’t what is appropriate up to the people who dress themselves? Especially when a cruise line “Suggests” options. During formal nights, around the ship, who cares what people wear? How does a person in shorts ruin a vacation? How does a younger person not wearing a coat ruin dinner? Really?

“Appropriate” is another one of those words that irritate me. What is appropriate? We all know in our own ways what isn’t but what is? Jeans and flip flops are not for one but maybe in some areas of the world it is? People in Bermuda wear shorts to everything? Is that not appropriate? Scottish wear dresses…er … I mean kilts, is that OK? Now I know this opens the door for those who, once again know what they do not like but isn’t what is appropriate up to the people who dress themselves? Especially when a cruise line “Suggests” options. During formal nights, around the ship, who cares what people wear? How does a person in shorts ruin a vacation? How does a younger person not wearing a coat ruin dinner? Really?

Yes, in a way it can. When I've paid $2000, $3000, $4000 and up for a cruise on a certain line that SUGGESTS a certain dress code, and most everyone else from the wait staff to most other guests in the MDR are dressed formal, it can and does put a damper on the festive atmosphere, for one or a few to ignore it. Formal night is for the WHOLE SHIP, not just the MDR, at least on HAL it still is. And if one gets away with it, how long before others try to follow suit, saying I saw a guy etc etc. Pretty soon you might as well be at Burger King, with no dress code at all. And if that's what you want, then why cruise a line that clearly tries to be a little more upscale.

How about the Lido on formal night?..Isn't that part of the "WHOLE SHIP"?

Lido is usually exempt, and I guess HAL has removed the locations from their verbage

"In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening."

So getting from the Lido to your cabin could present a problem hmmmmmm

Edited by agabbymama

Yes, in a way it can. When I've paid $2000, $3000, $4000 and up for a cruise on a certain line that SUGGESTS a certain dress code, and most everyone else from the wait staff to most other guests in the MDR are dressed formal, it can and does put a damper on the festive atmosphere, for one or a few to ignore it. Formal night is for the WHOLE SHIP, not just the MDR, at least on HAL it still is. And if one gets away with it, how long before others try to follow suit, saying I saw a guy etc etc. Pretty soon you might as well be at Burger King, with no dress code at all. And if that's what you want, then why cruise a line that clearly tries to be a little more upscale.

I don't know for sure but I don't see HAL charging those kinds of bucks to cruise on their ships. They have fares that compete with all the Mass Market lines. You can pay that I guess, get the Penthouse Suite and dress for dinner in your own dining room. You can also book 7 Seas Navigator for those fares, and more, which is totally all inclusive, have formally attired wait staff every night and yet the dress is smart casual for the entire week.

I am sure we all actaully agree on this for the most part. No bathing suits, walking shorts, cut-offs, T-shirts, tank tops, etc. Flip flops are not OK but open toe sandals are, right? If in Bermuda then dress shorts for the men have to be allowed, otherwise stick to slacks (not jeans for anyone unless they cost over $100 per pair and the designer label is visible). Hats off unless you are a real Cowboy millionaire or Country Star.

Seriously, If I come to the "Formal Night" dining room with pressed Camel slacks, a dress black polo buttoned to the top, a smart sport jacket and hard shoes well shined I'll be looking as good as (better than) many do in their ill fitting suits and rental tuxes. But don't worry, I'll stick to the approved areas - Lido and Canaletto. I'll skip the show I've seen a dozen times before. I'll head to the Explorer for a drink and a rousing game of something (Scrabble anyone). I'll walk the Promenade deck and then head straight to my $900 per week cabin without having gotten a warm glass of sparkling wine at the reception nor yet another poorly shot portrait. I'll leave those "traditions" to the traditionalists and just enjoy my vacation without intruding on yours.

And remember everyone - NO FUZZY SLIPPERS, EVER, ANYWHERE, EXCEPT MAYBE THE CABIN, SUITE OR HALLWAY IN FRONT THERE-OF TO PUT OUT THE BREAKFAST ORDER OR ROOM SERVICE TRAY OR LUGGAGE ON THE LAST NIGHT OF THE CRUISE.

By-the-way, what ever happened to the Flaming Baked Alaska Parade and the Midnight Buffet - some traditions must be reinstituted or HAL is just not living up to expectations!!

Edited by Hobbsey

So what is the "suggested" dress code for the Lido on formal nights?

It's the same as it is for the rest of the ship on all the other nights. Slacks, Collared shirt, shoes for men - Women can get away with most anything that is not beach wear, sleep wear, thigh length or shorter shorts and shoes or sandals, but not flip flops, on their feet. Also, do try and keep the track suit for Gym use only.

I don't know for sure but I don't see HAL charging those kinds of bucks to cruise on their ships. They have fares that compete with all the Mass Market lines. You can pay that I guess, get the Penthouse Suite and dress for dinner in your own dining room. You can also book 7 Seas Navigator for those fares, and more, which is totally all inclusive, have formally attired wait staff every night and yet the dress is smart casual for the entire week.

I am sure we all actaully agree on this for the most part. No bathing suits, walking shorts, cut-offs, T-shirts, tank tops, etc. Flip flops are not OK but open toe sandals are, right? If in Bermuda then dress shorts for the men have to be allowed, otherwise stick to slacks (not jeans for anyone unless they cost over $100 per pair and the designer label is visible). Hats off unless you are a real Cowboy millionaire or Country Star.

Seriously, If I come to the "Formal Night" dining room with pressed Camel slacks, a dress black polo buttoned to the top, a smart sport jacket and hard shoes well shined I'll be looking as good as (better than) many do in their ill fitting suits and rental tuxes. But don't worry, I'll stick to the approved areas - Lido and Canaletto. I'll skip the show I've seen a dozen times before. I'll head to the Explorer for a drink and a rousing game of something (Scrabble anyone). I'll walk the Promenade deck and then head straight to my $900 per week cabin without having gotten a warm glass of sparkling wine at the reception nor yet another poorly shot portrait. I'll leave those "traditions" to the traditionalists and just enjoy my vacation without intruding on yours.

And remember everyone - NO FUZZY SLIPPERS, EVER, ANYWHERE, EXCEPT MAYBE THE CABIN, SUITE OR HALLWAY IN FRONT THERE-OF TO PUT OUT THE BREAKFAST ORDER OR ROOM SERVICE TRAY OR LUGGAGE ON THE LAST NIGHT OF THE CRUISE.

By-the-way, what ever happened to the Flaming Baked Alaska Parade and the Midnight Buffet - some traditions must be reinstituted or HAL is just not living up to expectations!!

Actually I don't care what you wear, I'm just pulling some chains.

I do prefer to dress for formal night. My husband however doesn't own a suit and would go nowhere but the buffet, even if he did. I've fought and lost that battle with him. He's a jeans kind of guy, and doesn't like the waiting in the MDR and taking two hours for dinner.

Not sure where you are cruising or what you are paying for your cruises, but my cruisetour on HAL to Alaska cost me $3000 for just a balcony cabin.

And I do miss the Baked Alaska Parade on HAL. Princess still did it in Oct '08 on our Med cruise.

I'm told some of the smaller ships (Prinsendam, Maasdam on HAL and Ocean & Pacific Princess) do still honor a lot of the old traditions. I still want to give one of them a try.

Hopefully I'll be long gone before all the traditions are.

So it is OK to wear shorts if you are in Bremuda, but other than that don't? All over the ship on formal night people think that others should be dressed to their standards. People, like books, are all different and i do not judge anybody by their cover. IT is more important to see who people are instaed of what they wear. I bet the guy with the fuzzy slippers on formal night is a funny guy. what a sense of humor. I would rather sit with him then someone judging me because i don't have the right coat and tie on.

As far as spending money on a cruise, isn't that what we are saying? you spent that amount and so did the people you're judging. we all did. that is even more of a reason to not judge and go with the flow.

What happens on the nude cruises???:eek:... do they wear a bow tie and shoes with black socks??? I really don't want to know but really what is formal night like on that Cruise???:confused:

Actually I don't care what you wear, I'm just pulling some chains.

I do prefer to dress for formal night. My husband however doesn't own a suit and would go nowhere but the buffet, even if he did. I've fought and lost that battle with him. He's a jeans kind of guy, and doesn't like the waiting in the MDR and taking two hours for dinner.

Not sure where you are cruising or what you are paying for your cruises, but my cruisetour on HAL to Alaska cost me $3000 for just a balcony cabin.

And I do miss the Baked Alaska Parade on HAL. Princess still did it in Oct '08 on our Med cruise.

I'm told some of the smaller ships (Prinsendam, Maasdam on HAL and Ocean & Pacific Princess) do still honor a lot of the old traditions. I still want to give one of them a try.

Hopefully I'll be long gone before all the traditions are.

Unfortunately the Flaming Alaska went the way of Insurance rates. I loved the way my son's face lit up the first time he saw the dining room parade with the flaming dessert. It was fun and it was a spectical. I was glad to see the end of the midnight buffet - such gluttony and so much waste.

Here's some traditions I do miss: Free champagne toast at sail away with streamers. Having shore bound friends aboard before sail away for a bon voyage party. On deck horse races. Free activities like dance lessons. Steamer blankets and Deck service on the Prom.

On the other hand.....Balcony cabins, open seating, modern spas, a variety of lounges and restaurants - I like lots of this new stull too. And the prices, I like the cost vs value that the modern cruise delivers. One must be careful with wistfulness or one may be washing clothes against a rock in order to honor tradition.

Live long, please. And enjoy your cruise on your own terms.

Jeff

So it is OK to wear shorts if you are in Bremuda, but other than that don't? All over the ship on formal night people think that others should be dressed to their standards. People, like books, are all different and i do not judge anybody by their cover. IT is more important to see who people are instaed of what they wear. I bet the guy with the fuzzy slippers on formal night is a funny guy. what a sense of humor. I would rather sit with him then someone judging me because i don't have the right coat and tie on.

As far as spending money on a cruise, isn't that what we are saying? you spent that amount and so did the people you're judging. we all did. that is even more of a reason to not judge and go with the flow.

What happens on the nude cruises???:eek:... do they wear a bow tie and shoes with black socks??? I really don't want to know but really what is formal night like on that Cruise???:confused:

In fact, after three cruise to Bermuda I don't remember every seeing anyone in Bermuda shorts on board for any dinner, much less on formal night. I'm with you to a point. Be respectful of the space you occupy. The reason the ship has alternatives is for you to choose, not for you to confuse or bemuse. (did that sound like Jesse Jackson?)

And (having spent a long carreer in book publishing) people are not like books. Poeple can change their content and their intent - narrative cannot, at least not withour risking a law suit. Just try not to get banned - except, of course, in Boston.

Jeff

Edited by Hobbsey

I am just having a riot reading this thread. I do hope the new HAL cruisers that are lurking out there don`t take this too seriously. :eek::eek:

Seriously, this is not a big deal - nor anything worth worrying about.

if you were going out for a nice dinner, what would you wear......

same thing. a nice jacket, tie, pants and a nice dress or pant suit.

It`s really quite simple. JMO:)

Unfortunately the Flaming Alaska went the way of Insurance rates. I loved the way my son's face lit up the first time he saw the dining room parade with the flaming dessert. It was fun and it was a spectical. I was glad to see the end of the midnight buffet - such gluttony and so much waste.

Here's some traditions I do miss: Free champagne toast at sail away with streamers. Having shore bound friends aboard before sail away for a bon voyage party. On deck horse races. Free activities like dance lessons. Steamer blankets and Deck service on the Prom.

On the other hand.....Balcony cabins, open seating, modern spas, a variety of lounges and restaurants - I like lots of this new stull too. And the prices, I like the cost vs value that the modern cruise delivers. One must be careful with wistfulness or one may be washing clothes against a rock in order to honor tradition.

Live long, please. And enjoy your cruise on your own terms.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, and you too. I actually have a cruise booked on NCL in September (and even though they call it FORMAL OR NOT night, I will be in my finery). Then I have another one booked on Carnival with my 11 year old granddaughter, and I plan to have her dress up as well as myself, to try and teach her what cruising should be.

And no, my nostalgia doesn't go that far back. I have no wish to wash clothes against the rocks. Just think what that would do to all my pretty glittery tops.

Thanks Jeff, and you too. I actually have a cruise booked on NCL in September (and even though they call it FORMAL OR NOT night, I will be in my finery).

Actually, they call it "Dress Up or Not". We usually do the 1st night, and not the 2nd.

Kazu, that is what i am saying... dress for a nice dinner in California versus, say New York, are two different things, so when people are not dressed as some would wish maybe that is how they dress where they come from. Bremuda is more casual and people wear shorts to a wedding. It is different around this weird globe let alone just in the USA.

That is also my point about a book, people can change (although not very willingly) but I would never judge them by what they look like on the outside. Some do and i think that is what irks me. Have fun and enjoy your cruise, I know i will. :cool:

Living in Florida, I can go to the finest restaurants without getting "dressed to the nines". Why should I get dressed on vacation just to please some traditionalists? I think you'll shortly see the end of formal nights. The cruise lines only keep them to sell pictures in my opinion.

I chose my cruises for the itinerary but I do have to admit, I also enjoy a nice dinner. This is why I decided to give HAL a try after having too many disappointing dining experiences with another cruise line.

I really don't care how people dress in the dining room as I rarely pay any attention to others. I always have the most handsome man across from me and, with any luck, interesting dining companions. There is nothing more boring than to sit and discuss how so and so is dressed.

Hubby and I will dress properly for a dining room in a nice restaurant and hopefully we will enjoy our meal but there is no way whatsoever either of us will "go formal".

I have enjoyed watching people, especially the young families, get all dressed up so that they can have their portraits taken. I say if you enjoy getting all decked out then go for it but don't judge people by what they wear.

• 3 years later...