Ship Shuttle in Europe

aandb

Apparently, I found out that there is a free shuttle from the pier to the port entrance at Civitavecchia and then it is about a 10 minute walk to the train station. Has anyone done this to go to Rome?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194743-i2719-k600446-o10-Taking_the_train_from_Rome_to_Civitavecchia-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html

Yes. We tried to take a cab from the ship to the train station but no one wanted that short of a trip. We took the free shuttle from the ship to the town and then had to walk to the train station. It's pretty straight forward and easy to do. We had an express train into Rome termini where we switched trains to Milan. If you're just going into Rome then just get off at the station. There are boards at the Termini station listing all the trains and times. If you're doing a day trip into Rome and then returning to the ship make sure you check the times. Remember when you take the train in Italy you have to validate your ticket in a machine at trackside before you get on the train.

Apparently, I found out that there is a free shuttle from the pier to the port entrance at Civitavecchia and then it is about a 10 minute walk to the train station. Has anyone done this to go to Rome?

www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194743-i2719-k600446-o10-Taking_the_train_from_Rome_to_Civitavecchia-Civitavecchia_Lazio.html

Cruise Lines - all of them - are required by law (there are big signs everywhere) - to shuttle all cruise passengers to the ship/pier/port from Civitavecchia. It is a very, very short distance ~ maybe 3 minutes on a bus/shuttle ~ but a long, winding, very dangerous route to the cruise ships/pier/port area that you absolutely do not want to walk. There is a small waiting area in Cvitavecchia - with many covered stalls - where everyone waits for their shuttle to come get them. You will be waiting there with Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc etc cruisers. The buses/shuttles are all labeled "Carnival" "Royal Caribbean" etc.. They arrive maybe every 10 to 15 minutes (or sooner/later) and pick you up and take you down to your ship. DO NOT... and I am very serious here... DO NOT attempt to walk down to the cruise ship on your own. It is very dangerous (windy and narrow) and it is a long walk (even though the trip is short via bus) and there are signs posted everywhere telling you it is dangerous and to not do it. It is a FREE shuttle/bus ride to your ship that is super short and is offered by all cruise lines.

Also... the covered area where you wait for the shuttles and where you are later dropped off once you are back off the boat is a tiny little 5 to 10 minute walk to the train station.. no need for a taxi... just follow the crowd. You cannot miss the train station. It is an easy walk for anyone.

And yes, we did this. Easy as pie. The train drops you off directly in Rome at the heart of the action. Walk out front and get a gelato (I highly recommend malaga flavor!) and catch the red double-decker bus and take an open air tour of everything ~ Vatican City, Pantheon, Colosseum, Statute to honor Hercules, Spanish steps, etc etc etc.. I think those red buses are about 8 Euro (maybe less) and well worth it! They give you headphones and I really like hearing the history while touring. Also, you can get off at any stop (I recommend the area by Vatican City) and stay for a bit and then get on the next red bus. It is a wonderful way to see A LOT in just a few hours. The one must-do I recommend... catch a taxi and GO SEE TREVI FOUNTAIN!! It is fabulous!! Again, have a small bottle of wine (they are everywhere there ~ personalized sized wines like we carry beer!) and throw some coins over your shoulder in good luck! Have fun! Best trip of my life so far!!

Also... don't wait in line to buy your train tickets!! Use the the little green self-serve kiosks and not only is it cheaper but much quicker and they take debit cards! Again, cheap ~ maybe 11 or 12 Euro each way? At first, btw, you will think Civitavecchia is not an option on those machines but keeping moving through the screens and you will find it!! Your ticket prints out for you and you are ready to go! Be early for the train ~ the seats fill-up quick! The train ride is interesting and you will see some of the beautiful countryside ~ looks just like the movies at times.

Archived